Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2014, 09:13 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,908,662 times

Advertisements

I don't enjoy being on this side of the argument, since I'm not even anti-welfare.
But what's been swaying my opinion lately, has been experiencing how some of these people see themselves and their general attitudes toward these programs.

Unfortunately, for them -and sadly, the people who really need these benefits- the tide of public opinion will eventually turn against them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 09:21 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,862,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
I don't enjoy being on this side of the argument, since I'm not even anti-welfare.
But what's been swaying my opinion lately, has been experiencing how some of these people see themselves and their general attitudes toward these programs.

Unfortunately, for them -and sadly, the people who really need these benefits- the tide of public opinion will eventually turn against them.
The tide has already turned. That is why the Gov't keeps cutting the benefits little by little. Eventually there won't be any. But there are other factors in place, not public opinion that is turning the tide.

Last edited by DAS; 01-16-2014 at 09:49 AM..

Old 01-16-2014, 09:55 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,037,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Why should anyone be ticked at this?

In your case, it sounds like you have problems that go far beyond whether immigrants are getting food stamps or not. Focusing hate on another group will not make your life better.

Airborneguy, for his part, has repeatedly expressed unhappiness about living in NY. So at least some of his hate of snap clients is projection.

For the record, I don't hate welfare clients. I really don't. I don't want anything to do with them and I will never again live in an area where they concentrate. My main issue with them is quality of life issues (rap music at 4am in the morning, loud and blasting, throwing garbage out of windows and other tacky, low class behavior).

They are not immigrants. Those are illegal aliens. HUGE difference.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:11 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,990,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
They are not immigrants. Those are illegal aliens. HUGE difference.
They're immigrants. Who come here to work. Who come here because employers HIRE them. It's a combination of some Americans not wanting to do that work period and some employers being cheap.

Also, if immigrants of any kind can figure out ways to come to another country and get work are you sure you aren't doing anything wrong yourself?

You used your parents as an excuse, but these people moved pretty far from their families in order to find work.

Hating on them will not make your life better or easier.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
The tide has already turned. That is why the Gov't keeps cutting the benefits little by little. Eventually there won't be any. But there are other factors in place, not public opinion that is turning the tide.
I agree with you. Eventually there may not be any benefits, as the government every time it sets a new budget or does appropriations cuts the benefits.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:33 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,321,216 times
As the federal government becomes a less reliable source to provide to the people, is it possible for local and state governments to turn to private insurance carriers to pick up the slack for such items as food stamps and housing vouchers?

Old 01-16-2014, 10:37 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,409,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I'd also add that some people spend too much time feeling sorry for themselves.

oh well, it beats not speaking up about it.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:41 AM

19,058 posts, read 13,981,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
oh well, it beats not speaking up about it.
Wait a minute, you're telling me that Seventh is wrong? Speaking up is okay? Huh.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
As the federal government becomes a less reliable source to provide to the people, is it possible for local and state governments to turn to private insurance carriers to pick up the slack for such items as food stamps and housing vouchers?
Why on earth would a private insurance company touch food stamps and housing vouchers with a 10 foot pole? Those operations would BLEED money. Insurance companies make their money because most people who have the policies in any given month don't have anything bad happen. But food stamps and housing vouchers are long term payouts. A private company would go broke. And if the government is arguing it can't afford all these entitlements, what do you think a private company would say?

So basically, as the federal governments cuts funding to these programs, the states will simply kick clients off these programs and fire staff. No state politically wants to be seen as raising taxes to pay for welfare (businesses might bail out).

Old 01-16-2014, 10:47 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,321,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Why on earth would a private insurance company touch food stamps and housing vouchers with a 10 foot pole? Those operations would BLEED money. Insurance companies make their money because most people who have the policies in any given month don't have anything bad happen. But food stamps and housing vouchers are long term payouts. A private company would go broke. And if the government is arguing it can't afford all these entitlements, what do you think a private company would say?

So basically, as the federal governments cuts funding to these programs, the states will simply kick clients off these programs and fire staff. No state politically wants to be seen as raising taxes to pay for welfare (businesses might bail out).
So they can't legally support welfare? Actuarially, I'm sure that they can figure out how to reserve for the high risk at a cost. Whether it is worth paying for that cost would be the question, but if there are no other options it might be better than letting people starve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City