Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2014, 01:34 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,409,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
unfortunately, you sound like a korean to me today

you sound like you only see what you want to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 01:51 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,032,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
And there's also your social connections.

Obviously SOMEONE is getting hired by employers that pay a lot of money. Otherwise they'd be no rich and no upper middle class people.

The problem is in NYC, people often don't interact outside of their social class/neighborhood. So a poor person often WON'T know anyone doing better, and often doesn't have friends or family to advise on careers, etc.

What Marilyn said about is always how leftists have talked. Everything is always so terrible, no one will ever improve their lots in life, etc. Standard leftist talk.
No, that's NOT what I said AT ALL.

I said the TRUTH is that MILLIONS of former professionals with degrees that were making excellent salaries have not been able to find employment paying the same wages or AT ALL.

This isn't about poor people without social connections. I'm not even talking about NYC. I'm referring to the entire country.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:57 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,382,695 times
It is best to ignore that poster...he will go away soon (we can hope!).

Old 01-17-2014, 02:02 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,037,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
No, that's NOT what I said AT ALL.

I said the TRUTH is that MILLIONS of former professionals with degrees that were making excellent salaries have not been able to find employment paying the same wages or AT ALL.

This isn't about poor people without social connections. I'm not even talking about NYC. I'm referring to the entire country.
True. I know many successful people who are doing very badly now. They certainly can't help me. Heck, the people who are doing well can't help me.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:17 PM

675 posts, read 1,256,934 times
Taxes paid towards borrowing interest on a federal level (now ask yourself why the hell are we borrowing money when we as a nation can create our own money interest free?????) dwarfs what is spent on food assistance approximately 5 to 1 so if you want to huff and puff you need to direct your energy in the proper direction.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:23 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,869,681 times
You can't print enough money. The enormity of it will drive down the value of the dollar and make imports too expensive. And you know America's economy is hardly self sufficient and depends on imports.

If you want to cut interest payments, you need to pay down debt first and that requires spending cuts elsewhere. What the market charges the US in interest rates is largely beyond the country's control.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:28 PM

675 posts, read 1,256,934 times
Its not about cutting interest payments, its about not ever having to pay interest payments at all. This is just plain theft brought to you by the same banking elite that YOU bailed out, but as usual its the little guy that gets all the heat.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:38 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,869,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Brown View Post
Its not about cutting interest payments, its about not ever having to pay interest payments at all. This is just plain theft brought to you by the same banking elite that YOU bailed out, but as usual its the little guy that gets all the heat.
What does not having to pay interest payments have to do with "creating our own money interest free" (your words)?

If you're proposing to default on US bonds which is what happens if you don't pay your interest then go ahead and face the consequences. But that has nothing to do with creating money. You can only create money by trade or printing new bills. Nothing else.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:49 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,032,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Well said Marilyn...at the rate things are going we will all be on food stamps so that businesses and corporations can keep driving up their stock prices. Why pay people a living wage or provide any benefits when the government will pay for their food, rent, retirement, healthcare, etc. Companies have pushed almost the entire cost of employees onto the government...AND they go further and offshore revenue so they don't even pay taxes.

WTF! WHY ARE WE WASTING TIME ARGUING ABOUT FEEDING PEOPLE WHEN CORPORATIONS ARE RAPING US ALL????
Because people don't want to believe that this just might be TRUE.

If they did, then it would mean:

- that they will never make enough to pay off student loans

- companies can file bankruptcy at will and steal employees pensions along with them

- that professionals with years of experience w/out connections will never get hired at a high salary ever again

- that millions (degree or not) will face a future of temp/contract work or low wage jobs for the rest of their lives

- that millions (degree or not) will be forced to supplement their income by applying for "handouts" (lol) such as foodstamps and medicaid benefits

- that millions (degree or not) will never be able to purchase a home or lose the current one they do have to the bank or tax man

- that millions (degree or not) will be forced to live like illegal immigrants 20 to an apartment, because they won't make enough to afford their own apartments

- that millions (degree or not) will be forced to live in their cars throughout the country, because they won't be able to make enough to afford their own apartments

- that millions (degree or not) will be forced into illegal activities to survive

- that millions (degrees or not) will be fueling the prison industrial complex on a massive scale never seen before in the history of this country...

So, since people do not want to believe that the above will become their reality within the next ten years or so, they'd rather pick on the "poor" as if they are the ones causing their misery and calling the shots.

We are going back to how america was pre-unions, but no one wants to believe it. It's better to see things through "rose-colored" glasses, then for how it REALLY is.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:03 PM

5,147 posts, read 4,980,045 times
Mr. marilyn, there are different types of poors, and do not lump them all in one bag in your arguments.

there are working poors who try hard to make it, and there are handicapped poors who could not do anything on their own. from what I understand, many are willing to help them.

then there are a growing amount of lazy poors, who resort to the welfare system before trying hard enough on their own. these are picked on here. straighten out your thoughts before you type them out with uncontrolled emotions.

Last edited by leoliu; 01-17-2014 at 03:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City