Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 08:31 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,868,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Now here is a better question: Why do the wealthy continue to live in NYC surrounded by so many poor people? The wealthy can live anywhere yet they are fighting over themselves to live next door to housing projects, homeless shelters, drug treatment programs, clinics, detention centers.....they are literally surrounded by the poor everywhere they go. Makes no sense. Riddle me that Batman.
By "wealthy" do you mean the yupsters who are buying up Brooklyn brownstones and coops at exorbitant prices? They are not wealthy. If they were really wealthy then they would not be working in their current jobs just to live in such areas that you mentioned.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:32 AM

58 posts, read 110,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkfan39126 View Post
What about poor white people? Is it ok for them to stay?
I don't believe there's a large segment of poor whites in NYC who are subjected to police brutality on a regular basis, like poor blacks in the inner city.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:33 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,381,509 times
Not at all...it is the international elite which are coming in with suitcases full of cash, buying up everything, and renting to the yupsters at exorbitant prices...for the luxury of living next to the destitute.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:35 AM

530 posts, read 1,360,491 times
Racism exists everywhere. There's no escaping it unless you move somewhere only made up of your own ethnic group... but then you'll probably still face other types of bias.

It's all about what you make of it:
1. If you wanna get caught up in the streets, have a failure mentality, have a baby by a deadbeat [ladies!], spend money wrecklessly and not complete school then you will likely be poor&pathetic wherever you are.
2. If you avoid getting caught up in criminal activity, go to a respectable school/pick a marketable major and think more upwardly-mobile then you should have a decent shot wherever you are. There are plenty of NYC-area blacks who chose this route and are doing well for themselves.

Stop&frisk actually benefits the innocent residents of these communities the most (who are mostly black), since they are ultimately the ones that have to live with the high crime rates and unsafe environments. Stop&Frisk targets those who are most prone to crime and if some innocent has to have 5 minutes taken out of their day to promote the safety of their community then it is what it is.

Last edited by PrestigiousReputability; 01-19-2014 at 08:46 AM..

Old 01-19-2014, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Rural poverty is even worse and there is institutionalized racism in rural areas as well. So...uhh yeah I wouldn't exactly call it a solution either. A large chunk of those that have left NYC are actually lower middle to middle class.
In the South and rural areas of the Midwest, if one is not engaging in criminal activities, they are usually not subjected to the same level of policing that blacks in NYC are subjected to. Yes racism exists everywhere, but I'm starting to think that places like NYC and other large cities are the worst areas to reside in , if you're poor/working class & black.

Last edited by Miranda231; 01-19-2014 at 08:47 AM..

Old 01-19-2014, 08:39 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,868,687 times
Quote:
Not at all...it is the international elite which are coming in with suitcases full of cash, buying up everything, and renting to the yupsters at exorbitant prices...for the luxury of living next to the destitute.
You said it in your post. They are buying to rent it out, as well as to protect their wealth from currency risk in their home countries.

It's human nature. Once a genealogy hits a certain level of wealth, they change from producers to rent seekers. And what a better way to passively protect wealth and generate income than buy NYC real estate or Swiss francs?

Now in fairness they are also buying elsewhere like suburban homes in Toronto, Vancouver and Bay Area as well as apartments in London.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:42 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,381,509 times
I know....it was obvious what the answer was....and it is obvious what the answer is to the ops question....they are equivalent...but somehow nobody asks my question. People keep focused on the poor as dumb/the problem in this city (and the world)....

Old 01-19-2014, 08:46 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,324,858 times
Comfortable with where they are... It's all they know. Very few will make it out of there and the majority will continue in their parent's footsteps.

My parents decided to move us to ATL (from NY) because they didn't want their kids (particularly my brother) to deal with Stop and Frisk. They wanted to lower the chances of him getting caught up in the wrong crowd. However, we weren't poor.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:59 AM

Quote:
I think we know why poor anyone lives here...we have the best social services of anywhere in the country. If you are homeless the city is obligated to house you, at a rent you can afford, for life. That pretty much sums it up.
I'm primarily referring to poor/working class black people who have low income jobs. What these people don't understand is, they wouldn't need housing subsidies or food stamps to make it in rural areas, because the housing and cost of living is so cheap. If one is working at a fast food store or at a supermarket in NYC, they would do far better residing in the South or a rural Midwestern area while working at Walmart or Mcdonalds. That is my ultimate point.

You won't usually find a lot of low income/working class whites in the major cities. Typically, they take advantage of the cheap/rural areas of the country which are primarily hidden, with little to no policing.

Old 01-19-2014, 09:06 AM

571 posts, read 791,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranda231 View Post
In the South and rural areas of the Midwest, if one is not engaging in criminal activities, they are usually not subjected to the same level of policing that blacks in NYC are subjected to. Yes racism exists everywhere, but I'm starting to think that places like NYC and other large cities are the worst areas to reside in , if you're poor/working class & black.
You couldn't be more wrong.

I currently live in Brooksville, Fl, which is pretty rural and for all intents and purposes, the Deep South. The "black side of time" looks like something out of a movie. Houses half caved in, people drinking and selling in the streets, total chaos. I'd rather walk through Mott Haven at 2 AM in a tutu than walk through South Brooksville, which isn't even remarkably run-down by rural Florida standards. Add to the fact that it's truly segregated here, unlike hypothetically in NYC, public transportation is awful, there are no job opportunities, few social services, and worse yet, the police don't even bother patrolling this area (the city limits are actually purposely drawn to avoid it). NYC is darn near paradise compared to the rural South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City