Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 11:20 AM

420 posts, read 805,368 times

Advertisements

Racism exists and always will to some degree (and has since human beings were first around) but America is not a systematically racist country. And no group of people are as racist as blacks are.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:21 AM

530 posts, read 1,360,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
Do you think that poor Black people are idiots?
I know your post isn't directed at me but i'm gonna take the dive and say that I do truly believe that poor American citizens of any race are "idiots". Of course excluding the disabled, elderly and children.

There is no reason to be poor in America. Yes, I understand that minorities generally do have it somewhat harder in America but you should AT LEAST be "working class" and be able to support yourself and hold your own.

At least finish BASIC education, even if it's a GED. Regardless of what environment your from, you should know that a HS Diploma or equivalent is required for even the most basic jobs. AT LEAST learn a trade or go to Community College (it's free for low-income people). INVEST IN YOURSELF for goodness sake!!

Old 01-19-2014, 11:21 AM

58 posts, read 110,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
About $80k... Now, they make over six-figures since we moved to ATL.

Smyrna is a wonderful place to live. I would love to live in NY, but the housing isn't worth it. Old, crappy, an small homes and apartments for a lot of money.
Smyrna, GA is like an oasis. It's filled with beautiful greenery and it's extremely quiet and quaint. Even more shocking is the fact that it is only 12 miles outside of Midtown Atlanta and the average rents are $ 550 - $850 for apartments in resort like settings.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:28 AM

320 posts, read 578,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranda231 View Post
In the South and rural areas of the Midwest, if one is not engaging in criminal activities, they are usually not subjected to the same level of policing that blacks in NYC are subjected to. Yes racism exists everywhere, but I'm starting to think that places like NYC and other large cities are the worst areas to reside in , if you're poor/working class & black.
There has already been waves of poor/working class blacks moving from NYC,Chicago, etc. to ATL and the South because they believed a dream that they saw in a Tyler Perry movie. Black folk need to better themselves in the city they live at now.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I've known plenty of poor/working class Blacks who do not problems with the police in NYC.
Are you referring to black men who reside in poor/working class areas? To my knowledge, black working class/low income guys have the greatest number of run-ins with NYPD.

Quote:
The problem is a number of these people would not do well in rural areas either. Many of these adults don't know how to drive. In rural areas, much if not most of the housing stocked is OWNED by the HOMEOWNER. The poor people you speak of are RENTERS who have rent paid for them by Section 8 and/or living in NYCHA.
They wouldn't need section 8 in rural areas, and even if they did need it, their quality of life would be better, because they would have more green space, and less police harassment. If they work at KFC or Mcdonald's in NYC, I'm sure they won't have a problem finding a position or two working at Walmart or a fast food place in a rural community.
Quote:
Just as they have no social skills or connections to a better life in NYC, many of them after living in NYC for several generations have no connections to people in rural areas.
The point is, the cost of living and quality of life would still be better in a rural area.

Quote:
Lastly, not all Blacks in NYC have Southern connections. At this point I'd say a combination of West Indian, Black Hispanic, and Africans outnumber Black Americans. Many Black Americans already bailed out of NYC, though not to rural areas. Some moved to NYC suburbs. Others moved to places like Charlotte, Atlanta, Houston, etc. Others even went out West to Vegas, etc.
I understand this point, but working class blacks (from all ethnic backgrounds) need to find a lower cost of living area which doesn't subject their children to the prison industrial complex.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:30 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,031,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychDoc View Post
Racism exists and always will to some degree (and has since human beings were first around) but America is not a systematically racist country. And no group of people are as racist as blacks are.
Do you mean -

Black americans = people whose ancestry can be traced back to the transatlantic slave trade?

Caribbeans = current and those who've been here for three or four generations?

Black Africans = current or those who've been here one or two generations?

Black latinos = current and those who've been here for two or three generations?

Black europeans = current and those who've been here for two or three generations?

Which "racist" blacks are you referring to as we are all not one MONOLITHIC group that eat, drink, believe, think or worship the same.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:39 AM

530 posts, read 1,360,491 times
Quote:
And no group of people are as racist as blacks are.

Yep, cause it was blacks who:
- Burn crosses in "undesirables" lawn when they moved into their community
- Freak out and run away soon when their town becomes 5-20% anything else
- Enslaved various groups of people
- Created insane and strange real estate programs like redlining, blockbusting, steering, etc
- Have countless racist websites with huge membership counts
- Beat around the bush with racism thinking its "classy" or "refined"
- Created apartheid, jim crow laws, 3/5th's compromise and the holocaust
- Call the police on "undesirables" who are simply walking through their area
- Bombed/burned predominately black churches
- Have the most segregated towns
- Banned "others" from using&attending the same water fountains, bathrooms, cafeterias, beaches, restaurants, parades, broadway, colleges/universities, sports teams and schools

Gosh, some of the stuff that people type is just mindboggling. If this person is actually a "doc" then I officially lose all hope in this country!

Last edited by PrestigiousReputability; 01-19-2014 at 11:57 AM..

Old 01-19-2014, 11:41 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,459,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranda231 View Post
Are you referring to black men who reside in poor/working class areas? To my knowledge, black working class/low income guys have the greatest number of run-ins with NYPD.

They wouldn't need section 8 in rural areas, and even if they did need it, their quality of life would be better, because they would have more green space, and less police harassment. If they work at KFC or Mcdonald's in NYC, I'm sure they won't have a problem finding a position or two working at Walmart or a fast food place in a rural community.
The point is, the cost of living and quality of life would still be better in a rural area.

I understand this point, but working class blacks (from all ethnic backgrounds) need to find a lower cost of living area which doesn't subject their children to the prison industrial complex.
How is this a better quality of life? If Blacks are looking for more green space they can always move to suburbia, much of which is overpopulated with poor Section 8 residents that used to live in the inner city before they were priced out by hipsters and gentrification. Where do you think those people go? In the DC area they go to Northern Virginia and places like PG County in Maryland. Here they go to suburban areas in cities like Chesapeake and Virginia Beach.

Working class Blacks do not "need" to go anywhere. You may want them to go somewhere, but most working class Blacks are not dealing with the same social issues Blacks that aren't working involved in street trades are. Rural areas have aging infrastructure, and a higher cost to go back into the city to partake of cultural activities, than the inner city where you can often walk across the street to the museum or the zoo. People truly are not interested in rural areas. People want areas that are still cities, but in cheaper areas.

First off the South is actually more expensive than older cities in the Midwest. Atlanta, Charlotte, and Raleigh is only cheaper if you are willing to live in some neighborhood no one really wants to live in. In the Midwest, there are cheaper neighborhoods in the ghetto, but desirable neighborhoods are still anywhere from $700 to $1,300 a month, and the working class Black cannot afford a mortgage in those neighborhoods. So you are merely taking a Black person from one 'hood and putting them in another somewhere else in the country.

Few working class Blacks are "okay" and "content" with working in the retail/food sectors. At least give them an administrative job in a call center or a position as a knowledge worker.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
What an interesting statement. Have black people ever went to foreign lands and purchased slaves to work for free (for close to ~400 years) or sailed to foreign areas and completely annihilated the indigenous populations, all because they wanted the land? Have blacks ever systematically denied any group the right to basic human rights and/or civil liberties? Have blacks ever participated in wide-spread eugenics studies, to try to prove that those with different skin shades are sub-human?

Please provide specific examples (past and/or present) which lead you to believe that blacks (as a group) practice racism on a wide scale systematic level.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post

Few working class Blacks are "okay" and "content" with working in the retail/food sectors. At least give them an administrative job in a call center or a position as a knowledge worker.
Are most working class/low income blacks working in administrative positions in NYC? I'll answer the question, no they are not. Most are working in retail or at fast food establishments.

I am not stating that low income/working class blacks should only consider the South. I do however believe that they should look for lower cost of living areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City