Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2014, 09:53 PM

58 posts, read 110,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
You have a lot in common with someone who used to post here: Citygirl332. You should look her up. She is also black, is in her early to mid 30's, has a well-paying job in Washington DC, used to live and work in NYC and still has family here, and thinks that everyone who isn't rich should want to leave NYC for greener pastures because she says so. Maybe you could be friends since you have such similar thoughts and backgrounds.

I left NYC and I can't say that I ever want to return as a resident...
Well Henna, since you're so curious, I could not recall my old password and I no longer have access to the email that was initially used to create my original account.

Bravo "detective," but my intention was obviously not to create a different persona.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:02 PM

5,140 posts, read 4,976,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranda231 View Post
Well Henna, since you're so curious, I could not recall my old password and I no longer have access to the email that was initially used to create my original account.

Bravo "detective," but my intention was obviously not to create a different persona.
Ms Henna is the number 1 historian and archeologist on CD. you could have disclosed your original id at the beginning...

Old 01-19-2014, 10:07 PM

58 posts, read 110,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
Ms Henna is the number 1 historian and archeologist on CD. you could have disclosed your original id at the beginning...
Anyone who was familiar with my previous posts, could clearly see the pattern.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:49 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,139,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranda231 View Post

Yeah, right.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:14 AM

475 posts, read 853,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilmin View Post
And we would not want you. We try to limit the number of ignorant bigots we have here. No need to add you to the pile.
I'm not a bigot, I have friends who are black, and they have good jobs, and some were college or military. It would seem by this post NYC is more racist then the south is. The problem with you folks moving down here is ya'll complain how much better New York is, how you can't find a good slice of pizza, how you did it up in New York. Nobody down here cares how you did up in New York and the south is known for fried chicken and biscuits, not pizza, so don't be shocked if you cant find good pizza here. I know that that if I want good Pizza I will have to take a road trip to New York, cause New York has the best pizza on the planet. I wouldn't move to New York and expect to find good fried chicken or biscuits, cause I know that's not what New York is known for.

We don't hide it in the south, yes there is racism here too, look at the south and it's history. But the south of today is far different then it was many years ago, 75% of our population aren't southerners, they're mostly mid-west or up north. And perhaps that's where the true racists are coming from?

The better question is why is there poor anybody in this country? With all the resources America has for education, the many ways it can be pursued, the technology we have to present it, more people should be able to get out of poverty and into a skilled trade or white-collar profession.

My dad was a truck driver for the Putnam County Highway Department, my mother was a hair dresser. I went on to serve in the military, learned a skilled trade, I am certified automotive technician, and with a wife and 2 kids, I returned to school to finish my degree in in electronics and computer technology. If I can do it with the blue-collar background I had, so can anyone else. If you want something bad enough, you'll find away to do it.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:43 AM

343 posts, read 1,093,059 times
why do poor black people continue to reside anywhere despite all of the racism/classism?

Planet Earth is No Country for Poor Black People

Mars anyone? ... Martians would probably have a problem with us too

Happy MLK Jr. Day tho.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:50 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven r. View Post
I'm not a bigot, I have friends who are black, and they have good jobs, and some were college or military. It would seem by this post NYC is more racist then the south is. The problem with you folks moving down here is ya'll complain how much better New York is, how you can't find a good slice of pizza, how you did it up in New York. Nobody down here cares how you did up in New York and the south is known for fried chicken and biscuits, not pizza, so don't be shocked if you cant find good pizza here. I know that that if I want good Pizza I will have to take a road trip to New York, cause New York has the best pizza on the planet. I wouldn't move to New York and expect to find good fried chicken or biscuits, cause I know that's not what New York is known for.

We don't hide it in the south, yes there is racism here too, look at the south and it's history. But the south of today is far different then it was many years ago, 75% of our population aren't southerners, they're mostly mid-west or up north. And perhaps that's where the true racists are coming from?

The better question is why is there poor anybody in this country? With all the resources America has for education, the many ways it can be pursued, the technology we have to present it, more people should be able to get out of poverty and into a skilled trade or white-collar profession.

My dad was a truck driver for the Putnam County Highway Department, my mother was a hair dresser. I went on to serve in the military, learned a skilled trade, I am certified automotive technician, and with a wife and 2 kids, I returned to school to finish my degree in in electronics and computer technology. If I can do it with the blue-collar background I had, so can anyone else. If you want something bad enough, you'll find away to do it.
There are poor people all around the world, and there always will be. There's no magic or technological solution for it.

Also, personal issues like addiction/mental illness, and even physical illness (you can get sick to work) contribute to poverty. And some people are just stupid. Some people just give up. Some people are just trash.

Be grateful things went well for you, but you cannot live life for other people or make their lives anything but what they are.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:54 AM

475 posts, read 853,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
There are poor people all around the world, and there always will be. There's no magic or technological solution for it.

Also, personal issues like addiction/mental illness, and even physical illness (you can get sick to work) contribute to poverty. And some people are just stupid. Some people just give up. Some people are just trash.

Be grateful things went well for you, but you cannot live life for other people or make their lives anything but what they are.
And that's the problem, nobody cares.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:00 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven r. View Post
And that's the problem, nobody cares.
It's no one's place to care. Are you in expert in poverty/sociology?

You can care all you want, it doesn't mean you know enough about the problem to make any effect. To tell you the truth, most of the people I know who worked with this population as case workers, social workers, etc., get burned out and stop caring after a few years. Nearly all will say nothing can really be done.

It is what it is.

And I lived in NYC, and yes, I also grew up with some of these people who lived that lifestyle. I distanced myself big time from that, which is why I didn't end up in JAIL, strung out on drugs, or worse.

And I'm quite familiar with people who use alleged concern for others to make themselves look good or feel good. Of course, often the poor don't benefit from such "charity" and remain as wretched as ever.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:08 AM

38 posts, read 51,061 times
Maybe they beleive their lives will improve
there are too many idiots on this forum

THIS WHOLE ENTIRE COUNTRY WAS BUILT BY POOR PEOPLE MAINLY FROM EUROPE AND THEN THE REST THE WORLD.
They worked hard so that if not in their lifetime their decendents comd have a better life and made it what it is today.

They are here for the same reason your forefathers came here with nothing in their pockets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City