Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2014, 01:19 PM

58 posts, read 110,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
To your knowledge. Yes, you know nothing about NYC. You're just trolling.
Just because someone doesn't share your viewpoints -doesn't mean that they "know nothing about NYC."

Quote:
Btw, there is Section in rural areas. The poor people who live in housing projects (every county in the country has housing projects, even if they are in small towns) live in small brick houses with tiny yards. Truthfully, a lot of those people STILL GO to JAIL and you have a lot of single mothers and crackheads among the rural poor as well.

You also forgot to say that many of the people working the minimum wage in rural areas are living with FAMILY. A person moving in from a big city, unless they have family that let's them crash with them, won't be able to afford a car to DRIVE to WORK.

In order to move to a rural area like that, you'd need a family member or friend who is willing to let you stay with them while you reinvent yourself (get a driver's license, go back to school, etc.) If not, it just isn't going to work.
The bulk of poor black people in NYC will not become middle class and do not benefit from all that the city has to offer. The prospects for young black inner city low income boys is truly appalling. Again, they are serving as nothing more than revenue for the prison industrial complex.

The true definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, yet expecting different results.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
I agree with all that you are stating and I thought about all of that as I wrote that post. It would all work if it were a perfect world. However many are poor now that grew up in working middle class homes, with 2 parents. Many with experience and having had good paying jobs at one time are barely scraping by. The economy is not getting better and that is the biggest myth being told. Read other forums on this site to get an idea.

Many poor people that are in the condition that you are describing come from much less than ideal conditions, where the odds are stacked against them from birth. The family environment is violent and neglectful from day one. They are blessed if they can stay out of jail, keep a roof over their heads, and keep a dinky job most if the time. When they can't they must turn to the system for relief. But there are people that function on this level economically, that came up in terrible environments, but they are law abiding. Some attend various houses of worship and are active in their believe systems.

However it would take alot of time to learn social skills beyond survival mode to allow for one to get out of poverty. By the time many learn these things they are too old to advance a lot economically.

I think society should put more focus on improving the adults lives after a certain age, but with the focus on the children.

There are jobs upstate and most don't pay well. However many people are working the same in the city and live in low income housing, and the children are being poorly educated.

If the family also has a non working, retired grandmother, or one that never worked, as well as siblings with children all in the same condition, why not offer them all a relocation package to upstate NY. Siblings within a 10 year age span, having children would need family support regarding baby sitting and social/emotional health. With driving lessons for the adults after they get there, and a couple of donated usable cars. Give them subsidized housing, the subsidy part would be cheaper than here. They would keep medical benefits and SNAP.

The children would get a good eduacation and a chance at sports, arts, and music scholarships, as well as academic. There is a lot of space and unused land upstarts and schools have plenty off room for more students. All of this can be done with the help of the houses of worship if the families would like that social connection as well.

People should be spread out though because it would not be good to put too many poor from NYC on the same place, nor amongst the poor already there. The poor need to learn to function in different ways by learning and watching those in higher economic levels.

This would help both the city and state in terms off cutting back on foster care, shelters, the amount of money spent on subsidized housing. It would also improve the economy upstate because more people would live there and there would be more money put into the upstate economy.
Beautifully Stated!

Old 01-19-2014, 01:28 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranda231 View Post
Just because someone doesn't share your viewpoints -doesn't mean that they "know nothing about NYC."

The bulk of poor black people in NYC will not become middle class and do not benefit from all that the city has to offer. The prospects for young black inner city low income boys is truly appalling. Again, they are serving as nothing more than revenue for the prison industrial complex.

The true definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, yet expecting different results.

Too bad for you where they live is neither your decision nor your problem. And please don't pretend life is grand for everyone in the rural South, either.

Why do you even care about poor inner city Black low income boys? I'm Black and I make no pretension to care. In the end we are responsible for our lives and choices INDIVIDUALLy, regardless of WHERE WE CHOSE to LIVE.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:31 PM

530 posts, read 1,360,491 times
Not to knit-pick and get too off-topic but I don't consider those who work fast-food or retail to be "working class". In NYC, they are the working poor.

An example of working class would be like a single mom working in customer service, entry-level office or as a medical assistant bringing in $30k-40k or a couple bringing in a household income of $45-70k combined.

Last edited by PrestigiousReputability; 01-19-2014 at 01:44 PM..

Old 01-19-2014, 01:34 PM

2,238 posts, read 3,325,691 times
I think this should be addressed to poor people of all and any race and/or racial admixtures. IJS. Poverty is poverty. The classist power structure has to be dismantled.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Most of my closest friends are middle/upper income black folks. I've always been very friendly and appreciate all races/cultures, but NYC and Long Island in particular, are very segregated places. Quite frankly, it's rare for people to have close friends or even associates (outside of work) that comprise of different racial backgrounds. Note that my definition of a friend is not someone who you simply exchange a few words with while at work gatherings.

I am well aware that there are a number of blue collar whites in NYC. They primarily work in construction, law enforcement and with the fire department. Although these people are blue collar and often lack bachelor and/or graduate level education, many of them earn salaries that are solidly middle class. Most of the white blue collar/union workers reside in Staten Island and Queens. However, the bulk of whites moving into NYC do not comprise of those with blue collar backgrounds or those who can only find work in retail/fast food. Most low income whites, without skills and employment connections tend to stay put in remote/rural communities. They know that they won't be able to afford decent housing and most certainly do not want to live in public housing alongside low income blacks and Latinos.

As you pointed out previously, there are many black ethnic groups in NYC. Many have immigrated from the Caribbean, Haiti, parts of Latin America and Africa. The low income women often work as live-in nannies for wealthy white families throughout Manhattan, or work in hair-braiding shops, while the low income men often drive cabs and/or work as street vendors. Keep in mind however that many "ethnic" black immigrants often face the same issues/problems in NYC as low income African Americans. Mostly because, they too have limited incomes and reside in impoverished heavily policed areas.
There are whites who live in public housing in NYC. And btw, not everyone moves to NYC. Some people are BORN there.

The majority of Black people you have CURRENTLY in NYC do not identify with the rural South, and perhaps the majority have no connection to it. As noted, a huge percentage of the current Black population comes from other countries. Even those who can claim to be AA often have some family members from the Caribbean, Africa, or Latin America.

So one important reason for them to move is that they have NOTHING in COMMON with poor Black rural Southerners. So there's NO REASON for them to WANT TO BE AROUND those people.

And stop claiming that rural Southerners don't go to jail, don't have issues with the police, don't do drugs, and don't have broken families. They do, often MORE than poor Blacks in NY.

Some of the cities with the highest murder rate per capitas are poor Black areas in the South. Birmingham, AL and New Orleans, LA both have per capita murder rates HIGHER than NYC.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:35 PM

Miranda, are you just upset because you personally can't live in NYC, and because you can't, no poor Black person should?

It sounds like you're projecting your own personal issues onto other people.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Too bad for you where they live is neither your decision nor your problem. And please don't pretend life is grand for everyone in the rural South, either.
I never stated that life was grand for everyone in the rural South. I did however state that low income/working class blacks would do better in rural low-cost areas, because there is more space and less draconian policing. I certainly understand that they would remain low income/working class, but their quality of life would be better. Just having access to more green space alone would be a drastic improvement.

Quote:
Why do you even care about poor inner city Black low income boys? I'm Black and I make no pretension to care. In the end we are responsible for our lives and choices INDIVIDUALLy, regardless of WHERE WE CHOSE to LIVE.
It's simply in my nature to care.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:37 PM

2,238 posts, read 3,325,691 times
Quote:

There are two sides to it. We also have to keep in mind that some poor people are lazy and just depend on others lots of times and they are not doing anything constructive in life to move forward.

So that's something to take in consideration.

I think more outlets should be given to help push and educate and keep close watch on kids to get them on the right path to education so that way future generations can get out of poverty and learn that they don't have to stay in an impoverished setting.

When you know better, you do better.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Miranda, are you just upset because you personally can't live in NYC, and because you can't, no poor Black person should?

It sounds like you're projecting your own personal issues onto other people.
No, I could very well return to NYC. My job has openings at my current salary level at their Manhattan office. I have zero interest in residing in NYC again, because the taxes are too high, and the quality of life is too low (in my opinion).

I have zero interest in living in any borough outside of Manhattan, and in all honesty, Manhattan is just too darn expensive, even for a single woman, such as myself, without children who makes a low six figure income. Frankly, I am uninterested in paying $2,100+ for a small studio or one bedroom unit (w/out the amenities) that I have become so accustomed to. Don't get me wrong, I love public transportation (that's why I live so close to a metro station), but I also love having a personal parking space, stainless steel appliances and a modern open concept kitchen, walk in closets, an in-unit washer/dryer, onsite pool, guest lounge, and peace of mind.

I do enjoy visiting family, but after 3 or 4 days, I'm always happy to return back home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City