Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 07:45 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,965,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
No. Workforce1 will not help you find work.

As with everything else associated with this city, they are part of the Poverty Pimp scam.

Back to work does nothing.

Welfare to work does nothing, except keep people in perpetual slavery. They will never get hired for jobs and if they do will be laid off within 3 to 6 months to make way for the never-ending new "slaves".

Companies hire poor people from these scam programs only to lay them off a few months after. They do it for the tax benefits.
It's really only large retails that even bother with this. They hire these people to be able to claim that they are hiring people off of welfare, out of prison, or who are disabled for the tax benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2016, 07:51 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,025,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
It's really only large retails that even bother with this. They hire these people to be able to claim that they are hiring people off of welfare, out of prison, or who are disabled for the tax benefits.
Exactly. It's a scam. What's truly evil about it is that the people hired really believe that they will be hired on FOR REAL and can begin planning their financial futures. The gag is on them when after 3 months they're gone. Macys and Century 21 are notorious for doing this. I know with Macys, they'll hire people on welfare, but rarely, if ever allow them to be scheduled. They won't fire them though. They will remain as "active" employees until their presence on the books can no longer benefit the company.

Old 02-14-2016, 07:54 PM

65 posts, read 55,615 times
If you're laid off and collect unemployment, they force you to go to this Workforce scam or you lose your benefits. Every month they drag you in there (wasting money you don't have), where you fill in the same forms, give them yet another copy of your resume, and sit in a room getting scolded for not having a job. They don't lift a finger to help you find one. All they do is collect copies of your resume, which disappear into a black hole. I'm not even sure why Workforce exists. The so-called training programs and grants they pretend to have were never offered to me during my 6 months of unemployment, and no counselor ever approached me about an interview. Unless you work in foodservice, retail, low-level admin or "skilled trades" (plumbing, electrician, etc.), Workforce has nothing for you.

Old 02-14-2016, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Exactly. It's a scam. What's truly evil about it is that the people hired really believe that they will be hired on FOR REAL and can begin planning their financial futures. The gag is on them when after 3 months they're gone. Macys and Century 21 are notorious for doing this. I know with Macys, they'll hire people on welfare, but rarely, if ever allow them to be scheduled. They won't fire them though. They will remain as "active" employees until their presence on the books can no longer benefit the company.
The worst Workforce scam I saw had to do with a coding school. A guy in his 50s on welfare thought he was just doing a wonderful thing by attending a workforce paid for coding training program and he was going to work for Google or Facebook in NYC. Mind you all he had ever done was work as a waiter previously!

Workforce and other city agencies send people to private career schools, where they teach them to write resumes (this is done as a part of them keeping their benefits). Nothing comes out of this either.

Old 02-14-2016, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel2032 View Post
If you're laid off and collect unemployment, they force you to go to this Workforce scam or you lose your benefits. Every month they drag you in there (wasting money you don't have), where you fill in the same forms, give them yet another copy of your resume, and sit in a room getting scolded for not having a job. They don't lift a finger to help you find one. All they do is collect copies of your resume, which disappear into a black hole. I'm not even sure why Workforce exists. The so-called training programs and grants they pretend to have were never offered to me during my 6 months of unemployment, and no counselor ever approached me about an interview. Unless you work in foodservice, retail, low-level admin or "skilled trades" (plumbing, electrician, etc.), Workforce has nothing for you.
I believe they were created by the Clinton administration, when Clinton ended welfare as we previously knew it.

I have known people who while on unemployment they forced to go to workforce paid training programs or private career schools.

Old 02-15-2016, 07:09 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,063,795 times
Partner had to sign up a couple times...he lost jobs on a regular basis.
He asked just the same question at the Unemployment Office. The response: "Do you think if there were any decent jobs to be had we'd be working HERE?"

Old 02-15-2016, 08:40 AM

298 posts, read 270,826 times
But them working there is THEIR problem. Not the person on benefits looking to get a job who's forced to be there, wasting time. There are people who became unemployed due to the recession or some other personal tragedy. Not all people attending workforce or back to work programs are welfare scammers. But these programs treat everyone alike like losers and like criminals. These gov't workers tell college educated, experienced unemployed workers to go to food service and low crap jobs. Those jobs can't even pay the rent. Nobody in food/retail hires people with college degrees and 10 yrs or more in the white collar world. You're wasting time.

Old 02-15-2016, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Partner had to sign up a couple times...he lost jobs on a regular basis.
He asked just the same question at the Unemployment Office. The response: "Do you think if there were any decent jobs to be had we'd be working HERE?"
Of course there are decent jobs for qualified people. Workforce is for people with high school degrees or GED. Any well pay job requires things like degrees, professional licenses, union membership, etc. No well paying job just takes someone off the street from a government agency. They will vet your credentials, which you must have if it's a well paying job.

Old 02-15-2016, 09:26 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,063,795 times
But them working there is THEIR problem. Not the person on benefits looking to get a job who's forced to be there, wasting time.

Oh, I agree 100%. My point is that not only is it a waste of time, but the people who run it KNOW it is a waste of time.

Old 02-15-2016, 10:21 AM

65 posts, read 55,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erauso1592 View Post
But them working there is THEIR problem. Not the person on benefits looking to get a job who's forced to be there, wasting time. There are people who became unemployed due to the recession or some other personal tragedy. Not all people attending workforce or back to work programs are welfare scammers. But these programs treat everyone alike like losers and like criminals. These gov't workers tell college educated, experienced unemployed workers to go to food service and low crap jobs. Those jobs can't even pay the rent. Nobody in food/retail hires people with college degrees and 10 yrs or more in the white collar world. You're wasting time.
Exactly. And yes, I was treated like a criminal/loser because I was a professional adult. I wouldn't have minded going there every month if there was a purpose. But I was spending money on subway/bus fare instead of food, just to file the same paperwork every time and listen to useless advice on how to get a job. Walk in to every place you pass and ask for a job! (Um, it's not the 80s anymore...) Find people you went to high school with on Facebook, and ask if they know of any jobs (this advice was to a room full of people in their 30s to 60s). Color your hair. Delete your experience. And how many times did they need me to give them a copy of my résumé? What did they do with it the previous 9 times? What good did it do? It's not like they set me up with even one interview. I wasn't really cut out for their trademark minimum-wage warehouse, foodservice and cashier jobs anyway.

So you get all dressed up and travel to God knows where. When you get there, you just fill out forms, sit in a room and have the forms read out to you, watch a PowerPoint presentation about how to find a job, then you're brought in groups of 5 into a smaller office, where you're quickly asked why you're there. Everything else has to be done by appointment. No one looks at your résumé, and you could have come in jeans and a t-shirt. And they make you keep doing this, all for a 1970s-era benefit amount that doesn't even cover your rent, let alone luxuries like food and electricity. Or bus/subway fare for these endless trips to DOL offices.

I even went to a special class to learn about training grants only to be told I didn't qualify unless I had a certain degree, and besides, there was no money left for grants anyway. Also, the financial resources they DID have were reserved for people in the financial industry.

Basically, it's a ruse. Just more senseless paper pushing and pointless meetings to keep THEM employed. To make it LOOK like they're doing something, because in reality all the Dept. of Labor is really good for is processing unemployment payments... AND THAT'S ALL DONE BY COMPUTER NOW. The stuff being done by humans is good for nothing, as evidenced by the fact that I was directed to bring my résumé to three different offices several times, and each time I went back I had to bring it again... yet it was never actually utilized for anything or even kept. Just disappeared into the ether, and a short time later I was back with another copy, like all the other times never even happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: