Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 10:26 AM

43,691 posts, read 44,435,568 times

Advertisements

There is a proposal to make a $4 fare for tourists on the Staten Island ferry and also a fare for everyone else who doesn't either reside or work in Staten Island. I think the fare should be the same for all NYC residents if they decide to implement one. What do you think of potential fares for the Staten Island ferry?

Staten Island Ferry Tourist Fare Could Bring Millions: Study | NBC New York
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 01:24 PM

43,691 posts, read 44,435,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GilbertHarrisontheThird View Post
That would suck. I often take the ferry to pleasure cruise and take pics. They're proposing to charge NY'ers who aren't Staten Islanders $2.50, equal to what the subway costs. I assume that means round trip. If it's going to cost $5 round trip then I'll have to stop using it.
At the very least it should be a free transfer from the subway or bus if one is using a pay-per-ride metrocard and not a separate fare for NYC residents.

Old 09-25-2014, 03:11 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,696,911 times
I wouldn't like that as a tourist. I've stayed in SI two times and might stay there again because going to NYC and paying for parking/hotel is just too expensive.

It's really nice to just walk onto the ferry and walk off with no fee. Parking isn't too bad, around $10 a day. But the free ferry ride is one reason I stay in SI. You take that way and it's just one less reason to stay on that island.

Old 09-25-2014, 03:50 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,049,820 times
We all pay the resident tax. I favor a discount for all residents (correction meant to say nyc residents). Many other places favor their own residents and it still surprises me that nyc doesnt. Some examples are resident only parking in Hoboken, even Disney gives discounts to resident albeit state residents.

Last edited by bumblebyz; 09-25-2014 at 04:40 PM..

Old 09-25-2014, 04:31 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,086,482 times
Thinking about how the ferry currently boards and operates,how are they going to control/separate residents from non residents and how are they going to collect the fares ?

Old 09-25-2014, 04:35 PM

577 posts, read 900,758 times
It will kill any potential tourism to the island. Are they nuts? The main reason tourists take the ferry is it's a free way to see the Statue of Liberty plus a (usually) peaceful boat ride. Don't forget all the money that's going to be poured into the "up and coming" (lol) St George area to make it a tourist mecca.

St George has been "up and coming" for a decade now and it still looks lousy to me.

Old 09-25-2014, 04:39 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,049,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Thinking about how the ferry currently boards and operates,how are they going to control/separate residents from non residents and how are they going to collect the fares ?
If there's a will there's a way, e.g. modified drivers licenses. But with the NYC id cards coming next year this is a perfect time to start discount programs for nyc residents. I can imagine discounts at zoos, museums, and etc. for nyc residents.

Old 09-25-2014, 05:40 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,037,179 times
it won't happen

Old 09-25-2014, 06:17 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,141,966 times
I don't recall how boarding is set up, but couldn't they just install turnstiles and charge the cost of a subway ride via MTA card?

The East River ferry costs $4 for a single ride, so maybe that's how they arrived at the $4 fare.

Old 09-25-2014, 06:44 PM

5,464 posts, read 5,715,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I don't recall how boarding is set up, but couldn't they just install turnstiles and charge the cost of a subway ride via MTA card?
With the amount of people during rush hour, I bet it would delay boarding the ferry by a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaid825 View Post
It will kill any potential tourism to the island. Are they nuts? The main reason tourists take the ferry is it's a free way to see the Statue of Liberty plus a (usually) peaceful boat ride. Don't forget all the money that's going to be poured into the "up and coming" (lol) St George area to make it a tourist mecca.

St George has been "up and coming" for a decade now and it still looks lousy to me.
They are going to build a giant Ferris wheel there and a mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City