Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2008, 04:27 AM

1,809 posts, read 7,062,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by offwing View Post
Your right I do want it all with the cost of everything going up Gas,milk,smokes,home heating oil,kids etc trust me you will want to make as much as you can so you can save a little.Some of the guys here were talk about how acouple people quit already just wait until next Friday when they get there first pay check and the shock kicks in and people start saying to them selfs I need a second job.I was an instructor for a couple of years and every class that came through always had people who quit because of the money.
So do they just add more people to the next class to replace the few who dropped out? New hires have to look at the big picture and not the low starting salary which is temporary. What bothers me is not putting guys on steady shifts when they start off,a 2nd job is a must,they should realize that.

Nobody is going to get rich working for DSNY,we all just want a decent standard of living and more important a decent retirement.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:25 AM

54 posts, read 110,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1276 View Post
i asked about shifts a couple of pages back....just want to get an idea,
as a new hire does your shift change on a day to day basis or week/monthly...in other words would you have a 6-2pm shift one week and a different shift the following week? or would it be a different shift each day of the week? thanks
its day to day...this week i worked 6-2pm monday 7-3pm tuesday then 12-8am today so expect to bounce around alot

Old 07-09-2008, 07:14 AM

289 posts, read 746,162 times
Default Sticking it out on this great job

Quote:
Your right I do want it all with the cost of everything going up Gas,milk,smokes,home heating oil,kids etc trust me you will want to make as much as you can so you can save a little.Some of the guys here were talk about how acouple people quit already just wait until next Friday when they get there first pay check and the shock kicks in and people start saying to them selfs I need a second job.I was an instructor for a couple of years and every class that came through always had people who quit because of the money.
HELLO GUY'S STICK IT OUT DO NOT QUIT THIS JOB WHEN THEY SAY IT GET'S BETTER ,IT GET'S BETTER, AS FAR AS O.T. SOMETIME'S IT COME'S AND SOME TIME'S IT DOESN'T ,YOU ARE GOING TO HEAR WHY DID THEY HIRE THESE NEW GUY'S WELL LET ME TELL YOU THESE SAME GUY'S I'M SURE HEARD THE SAME THING WHEN THEY WERE HIRED,WHEN I CAME ON THE JOB 10 OF US WERE SENT TO A GARAGE THE OLDTIMER'S CALLED THE UNION TO GET US OUT OF THE GARAGE SO THEY COULD GET THERE CHART'S , YES THE O.T." HELP'S EVERYONE" THE JOB HAS ALWAY'S BEEN LIKE THIS, IT'S A CYCLE , YOU WILL HAVE TIME'S YOU ARE SICK OF THE O.T. OR YOU FEEL BAD BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO TURN DOWN O.T. BECAUSE YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO DO OR YOUR JUST TIRED.DO NOT FEEL BAD BECAUSE YOU WERE HIRED,YOU TOOK THE TEST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE TO GET THIS JOB,AGAIN I SAY STAY WITH IT YOUR PAY SCALE WILL GO UP AS THE YEAR'S GO BY ,WHO KNOW'S WHAT THE WINTER BRING'S" $$$$" .

Old 07-09-2008, 08:22 AM

246 posts, read 593,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post
So do they just add more people to the next class to replace the few who dropped out? New hires have to look at the big picture and not the low starting salary which is temporary. What bothers me is not putting guys on steady shifts when they start off,a 2nd job is a must,they should realize that.

Nobody is going to get rich working for DSNY,we all just want a decent standard of living and more important a decent retirement.
I agree with you about the steady shift thing I always said why can't we be like NYPD if you start a week on a shift like say 4-12 you end the week on that shift .Even though every week can be different but at least you know what you will be doing all week and yes people will come on here and say you can't do that they need a certain amount of people for this shift and that shift Listen if you sat down and crunched the # you could make it work just like all the other changes that have gone on on this job.
As for replacing people who drop out on first couple of days No they dont put extra in the next class what they do is they wait until the last class is hired and they add up how many people droped out of all the class's and they add them there to the last class.That is why if you ever look at the #'s of the last Class's of an exam they always have funky #'s.At least that is how they were doing it when I was working at FBF .
And Yes listen to RetirdSanman Stick it out I was never telling anybody to Quit or feel bad about being Hired you got your self a Good job here and all I was pointing out is that money right now is hard to come by so lets all Hope Mother nature drops LOTS of Snow on us this year..

Old 07-09-2008, 08:58 AM

26 posts, read 46,663 times
Quote:
I agree with you about the steady shift thing I always said why can't we be like NYPD if you start a week on a shift like say 4-12 you end the week on that shift .Even though every week can be different but at least you know what you will be doing all week and yes people will come on here and say you can't do that they need a certain amount of people for this shift and that shift Listen if you sat down and crunched the # you could make it work just like all the other changes that have gone on on this job.
As for replacing people who drop out on first couple of days No they dont put extra in the next class what they do is they wait until the last class is hired and they add up how many people droped out of all the class's and they add them there to the last class.That is why if you ever look at the #'s of the last Class's of an exam they always have funky #'s.At least that is how they were doing it when I was working at FBF .
And Yes listen to RetirdSanman Stick it out I was never telling anybody to Quit or feel bad about being Hired you got your self a Good job here and all I was pointing out is that money right now is hard to come by so lets all Hope Mother nature drops LOTS of Snow on us this year..
Offwing you have provided a lot of great insight for all of us and I, for one, would like to say thanks. If you don't mind - How long have you been on the job?

Old 07-09-2008, 09:35 AM

Thanks Offwing for answering my question. I went back to look at the annual reports and I couldn't find the breakdown of the amount of new hires for each class. But it makes sense that they would do it that way.

I don't think there are any quitters in here,we all want this job bad and are willing to make sacrifices to stick it out. Like most things in life it is always the hardest in the begining.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:48 AM

123 posts, read 250,755 times
Quote:
A chart day is your day off during the week.Everybody get 2 days off a week your chart day and sunday .If your lucky and the city is short sanitaion workers they will let you work your day off which is double time .Sunday is also double time

is the only way to get OT to work your day off? do you ever get to work an extra hour or 2 or 3 on a certain day, or it's strictly 8 hours and go home?

Old 07-09-2008, 09:50 AM

Im in my 10th year and just like Retired Sanman said The time flew by and before I know it God willing I to will be a retired Sanman.Once again Im sorry if anybody took some of my posts the wrong way it wasnt ment to be Negetive.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kochise View Post
is the only way to get OT to work your day off? do you ever get to work an extra hour or 2 or 3 on a certain day, or it's strictly 8 hours and go home?
You can work overtime on any given day if they need you .But the thing is there is so people working all different shifts they really dont need any body for OT unless its after a holiday .In my garage we would give back work at the end of the day so the 4-12 guys could make some truck money so being that those guys on the 4-12 were finshing off our routes they would need some people to dump what trucks were going to get dumped on the 4-12 so if lets say if 2 guys were now picking up garbage they would ask for 4 guys to dump a load on OT and if you did it right you got like 4 hrs of OT.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Im in my 10th year and just like Retired Sanman said The time flew by and before I know it God willing I to will be a retired Sanman.Once again Im sorry if anybody took some of my posts the wrong way it wasnt ment to be Negetive.
It is cool offwing,it is important to get others point of view in here. You and everybody else has a right to vent. I have to apologize for making it sound like the senior guys are greedy on the job. They have paid their dues so to speak so I shouldn't be talking when I have never taken a walk in their shoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City