Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2008, 11:23 PM

26 posts, read 64,802 times

Advertisements

Your right DSNYFamilyguy but it depends on the severity of your record that they determine each individuals driving record.Basically if you can obtain the cdl you can work for DOS.Thank you for claryfing the chart explaination for me,thats what I meant it to mean.

Old 02-24-2008, 11:29 PM

18 posts, read 52,023 times
Default DSNYfamilyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansupv View Post
Your right DSNYFamilyguy but it depends on the severity of your record that they determine each individuals driving record.Basically if you can obtain the cdl you can work for DOS.Thank you for claryfing the chart explaination for me,thats what I meant it to mean.
My Dad had 37 yrs OTJ ,30 yrs on Staten Island,he had 1 accident.Hard to believe but true.He worked his chart day maybe once a month + a Sunday a month.Do they still pay you your snow money in May ?

Old 02-24-2008, 11:35 PM

26 posts, read 64,802 times
They pay the snow money alot faster now but as far as OT the only Boro that see's that is Manhattan,especially in the summer. Sundays roll around quicker or slower depending on how many guys in your district and what they are running.For supv's it's a boro list and it comes around about once every 2 to 3 months.Your dad had 37years on the job?I don't know if I can last that long,I have another 5 to go for 20 and hopefully I can go.

Old 02-24-2008, 11:54 PM

18 posts, read 52,023 times
Default DSNYfamilyguy

I think it's important for me to share a story or two about my father.As I stated in my last post ,he was on the job for 37 years retiring in 1985.He worked out of the old D/71 on Alaska St. in Staten Island.He was one of the very few who actually loved his job.He worked collection till the day he retired.Can you imagine picking up all that garbage and loving it ? As a kid I know I loved it because he would bring home the greatest "stuff" .Toy's ,books etc.He took me to the garage on his day off to pick up his check.That's when I was hooked ! The trucks,the smells,the characters he worked with,it was great! The most important thing I noticed was the friendships all the guys had.The Sanitaition,to him,was a family.You looked out for one another.Not quite sure it's like that now.One of the best stories he told me was the following:
Him and his partners where told to go to the Staten Island Zoo to pick up a dead animal ( not that uncommon back then).To their surprise it was a 600 pound male lion ! The problem was it would'nt go up the escalator (the old trucks had small chutes in the back and rollers that would bring the garbage to the top).They had no choice but to leave the lion half in and half out with the head bobbing up and down as they drove to the dump.Cars honking, kids screaming ! Sorry for the long post.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:43 AM

136 posts, read 267,708 times
Quote:
Jwoodz56 like I said in a previous post you must disclose everything in your criminal past because if the IG finds it you will be terminated from the department.I seen someone fired over a minor charge because he failed to disclose it.
really, thanx sansupv. I dont have a problem with disclosing everything cause i did when i started transit and was hired, plus its all minor stuff. But im just wondering why they tell you not to disclose certain things but then would terminate you if you do as they say.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:00 AM

300 posts, read 659,378 times
Quote:
Pipez I meant that there are a surplus of people so even if they loose alot of people to sick,emergencies etc the dept still has the capacity to function without having to call in people on there days off.When you are "chart" that is your day off in the DOS and they work like rotating days off for example:this week you would be off Monday the next week Tuesday and so on.Usually after the fifth week you would get a "long weekend" meaning you would have Sat,Sun and Monday off. Did that help you out?
Thank you ! lol i was a little confused what charts were .

Old 02-25-2008, 01:47 PM

191 posts, read 874,081 times
Quote:
Pipez I meant that there are a surplus of people so even if they loose alot of people to sick,emergencies etc the dept still has the capacity to function without having to call in people on there days off.When you are "chart" that is your day off in the DOS and they work like rotating days off for example:this week you would be off Monday the next week Tuesday and so on.Usually after the fifth week you would get a "long weekend" meaning you would have Sat,Sun and Monday off. Did that help you out?
the "long weekend" is great..didnt know that

Old 02-25-2008, 02:03 PM

191 posts, read 874,081 times
dsnyfamilyguy ,37 years ..big deal (joke ,your father did a great job)look at this guy ,50 yrs(thats just crazy)..did your dad meet tony danza ..well that sucks ..i guess your dad lucked out on not meeting him..
http://www.thechief-leader.com/news/2008/0222/News/018p1_sm.jpg (broken link)[SIZE=+2]Sanit Vet Gagliotto Mourned; [/SIZE][SIZE=+2]Never Took Sick Day[/SIZE]
By REUVEN BLAU
Louis Gagliotto, a decorated city Sanitation Worker who was lauded by Mayor Bloomberg for collecting refuse for 50 years without ever calling in sick, died earlier this month at age 80, nine months after concluding his career with the Sanitation Department

...wow 37 years is some accomplishment.how old was he when he retired?how did he hold up physically?good story ..he should of mounted the head and told everyone he was a great african hunter lol

Last edited by garbage time; 02-25-2008 at 02:15 PM..

Old 02-25-2008, 03:30 PM

162 posts, read 575,333 times
Hi San Supv,

Am I reading between the lines correctly. So what you're basically saying is that there's really NO overtime being offered because DSNY is over - staffed. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote:
To kid union's question,there is overtime after a holiday and for snow but because the city hired so many people charts(days off) are virtually non-existent.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:55 PM

128 posts, read 268,719 times
Hi SanSupv
Did you ever get a chance to find out, when they are going to start calling from the new list for SWs?
Thanks in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City