Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 07:52 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Exactly. Your bumpers will be scratched within a week of getting the car on the streets. Its like living here in a city of millions and worrying about breathing in other people's germs, or smelling urine on the subways in the summer. Its unavoidable.
The Lexus SUVs actually have a nice solution on the back and front with steel bumper guards that wrap the middle and corners. That should be a standard option for all cars sold in NYC

The alternative is installing razor blades on your bumpers so the other guy drives away in worse shape
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 12:24 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
I always assumed bumpers were exactly for that. Bumping cars while trying to squeeze into spots that some would have thought to be physically impossible.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:40 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I always assumed bumpers were exactly for that. Bumping cars while trying to squeeze into spots that some would have thought to be physically impossible.
One would think. One would also think said bumpers should be made out of rubber, WRONG. Some exec at a car company figured out that if you made all bumpers out of breakable compounds like plastic and metal and painted them over, they could make a fortune on replacement parts and detailing

Old 03-18-2014, 01:52 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
One would think. One would also think said bumpers should be made out of rubber, WRONG. Some exec at a car company figured out that if you made all bumpers out of breakable compounds like plastic and metal and painted them over, they could make a fortune on replacement parts and detailing
One night a woman sitting in her Mercedes-Benz (IIRC it was a C class) was rear ended in front of our building. She was waiting for the light to change and got busy with her cell phone so didn't notice when the thing went "green" when the driver behind her didn't slow down...... Anyway nearly cracked up with laughter as the entire rear bumper of the MB simply fell off. So much for the famed German design I thought.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:55 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatshoe View Post
If you park on the street in Manhattan, you're basically writing off your bumpers. I'm much more upset by the little yellow paint squigglies you get on the car body from taxi passengers throwing their doors open than some bumper scratches.
Again, if persons are that worried over their precious bumpers then do what many leased car owners do; but the thing in a garage. Otherwise as noted above within two weeks or less of parking a vehicle on a NYC street you *WILL* see some sort of damage.

Even NYC car rental places do not count scratches and small dings below a certain line on bumpers. You just cannot control such things. Now side doors are another matter.

Old 10-10-2014, 12:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatshoe View Post
If you park on the street in Manhattan, you're basically writing off your bumpers.

not really ... i had a transparent bumper pad from clearbumper put on car and so far so good..

Old 10-10-2014, 04:58 PM

207 posts, read 513,618 times
I think they meant if you didn't go the extra mile and put a bumper guard on your bumper.

Old 10-11-2014, 07:13 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
That's what bumpers are for anyway. This is NYC...its a daily occurrence that really can't be avoided unless you want to be that guy driving around all the time with his bumper guards on.

Old 10-11-2014, 09:03 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,537,213 times
My daily beater lives in the streets of Brooklyn and I have become an expert at Bondo and spraypaint.

Old 10-11-2014, 06:55 PM

769 posts, read 1,014,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
This is completely wrong.

Car bumpers actually sit underneath the bumper covers. You do not see them.

Bumper covers are molded into the fenders now for aerodynamics (drag coefficient-fuel economy) and aesthetic looks. Auto manufacturer's do not make any money from paint or detailing shops.

Unfortunately in a place like NYC and it's tighter parking contrainst's aren't taken into consideration by design engineer's at the auto manufacturers. BMW, Audi and Mercedes Benz started this design trend in the eighties and the japanese and american auto manufacturers followed suit.

My biggest beef is people driving 7 passenger vehicles or larger vans and trucks with just one occupant.
If you live in the city and park on the street you should be driving either a subcompact or at maximum a mid sized 4 door sedan.

I once had a a woman driving a Honda Odessey Caravan mark up my rear bumper with her front license plate frame bracket on my 2006 Audi A3. The rear bumper was perfect before she decided to try and squeeze her 7 passenger vehicle into a subcompact parking spot. And to top it off she was the only one in her van. No passengers.

I waited until it got dark and with a flat head screwdriver I carefully gouged the hood, front and rear bumpers and all four doors of her Honda. Hopefully it gave her something to think about.

but knowing the mindstate of the average NYer, I doubt she even would have even noticed, until came time to trade the car in or sell it outright.

The biggest problem is most people in the city don't actually know how to parallel park correctly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City