Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 05:33 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,624,303 times

Advertisements

Another subway attack incident... These time it appears that the perpetrators were white, at least one, with a rap sheet.

Police: N.Y. subway riders beaten after 'Happy Hanukkah' greeting

Police: N.Y. subway riders beaten after 'Happy Hanukkah' greeting - Haaretz - Israel News

Four Jewish subway riders who wished other people Happy Hanukkah were
pelted with anti-Semitic remarks before being beaten, New York police and prosecutors said. The incident was being investigated as a possible hate crime.

The four were on a train in Manhattan on Friday night, during the eight-day Jewish Festival of Lights, when they were approached by a group of 10 people who offered holiday greetings. The victims responded, Happy Hanukkah and were assaulted by the larger group, police said Tuesday.

NYC Subway Attack Possible Hate Crime

December 11, 2007

NEW YORK (AP) — A group of people exchanging holiday greetings on a subway last week hurled anti-Semitic slurs and beat four Jewish riders who had wished them "Happy Hanukkah," authorities said Tuesday.

The four Jewish riders were on a train in lower Manhattan during the eight-day Jewish Festival of Lights when they were approached by a group of 10 people who offered holiday greetings.

When they wished the group "Happy Hanukkah," they were assaulted, police said. Police caught up with the train one stop later in Brooklyn and arrested eight men and two women, ages 19 and 20.

More...

The Associated Press: NYC Subway Attack Possible Hate Crime (broken link)

Last edited by Keeper; 01-10-2008 at 07:02 AM.. Reason: changed links
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 07:23 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,003,562 times
Cyrus...this is more of the same silliness..except this time somebody stepped up FINALLY. I suspect going forward that people will not be sitting idly by anymore....take action and recapture our rights and civilized society!!!

Old 12-13-2007, 07:21 AM

I dont think bumping and bitching is the same as what has occured on this video or the other recent assault. Yes people will bump, *****, and yell..but that is as far as the VAST majority goes...that is life in the city.

Kids, on the other hand, are typically a pain in the a** of EVERY color...so yes I would agree...changes cars when the kids arrive!

Old 12-13-2007, 10:25 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
latest attack was either today or yesterday on the tracks of the Q train at union square - someone was pushed onto the tracks. two others jumped down to get her to safety 30 seconds before the train came! its on gothamist.com if you want to read about it. This scares me the most - though I guess it's the easiest to avoid (don't stand next to the tracks when waiting) alhtough - who doesn't stand near the tracks, esp when the train is approaching?

Old 12-13-2007, 10:45 AM

Henna..there are millions of people who take the train DAILY..thats EVERYDAY, 365 days a year...EVERY year...yet these couple of incidents scare you? Are you serious? Do people really live in constant fear over the REMOTEST chance of something happening to you? Henna...I could not tell you what the stastics are...but if "this scares you the most" as if it will EVER happen to you..I would suggest packing up and moving to a cave.

Anyone have the statitics on someone's chances of actually being pushed into the tracks? This happens MAYBE once every couple years.....and considering the millions that take the train EVERY DAY...well..you get the idea. Grow up Henna and stop believeing these stories as normal life..it makes news because it is the (VERY RARE) EXCEPTION and sells papers..not because it is the norm. Geez....a flock of sheep I swear these people..

Old 12-13-2007, 03:29 PM

Lol...it is not a low chance..it is virtually ZERO. Furthermore..if you get into a physical altercation with someone anywhere...the street: you will be pushed in front of a car, an apt: you will be pushed out of the window, etc. According to your logic, she should also be afriad to be outside, as well as inside her home.

Furthermore, how can you possibly assert that a physical altercation in the subway will have a 25% chance of someone being thrown into the tracks??!! Clearly you are pulling this out of your a**..please provide further info. As I stated...there is a Virtual ZERO chance of anyone being thrown in the tracks FOR ANY REASON..which is why it RARELY occurs...and that includes the physical altercations that occur in the train stations...thanks for more of the nonsense and scare tactics jajajaaj..you must be from the projects? Your preception is soo skewed..

Old 12-13-2007, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
Henna..there are millions of people who take the train DAILY..thats EVERYDAY, 365 days a year...EVERY year...yet these couple of incidents scare you? Are you serious? Do people really live in constant fear over the REMOTEST chance of something happening to you? Henna...I could not tell you what the stastics are...but if "this scares you the most" as if it will EVER happen to you..I would suggest packing up and moving to a cave.

Anyone have the statitics on someone's chances of actually being pushed into the tracks? This happens MAYBE once every couple years.....and considering the millions that take the train EVERY DAY...well..you get the idea. Grow up Henna and stop believeing these stories as normal life..it makes news because it is the (VERY RARE) EXCEPTION and sells papers..not because it is the norm. Geez....a flock of sheep I swear these people..
Guy,
uhhh - clearly you did not read the rest of the thread to see my earlier response. So maybe my semantics were a tiny bit off in this one. Perhaps I should have said that in terms of subway incidents, the thought of getting pushed in front of a train scares me *more* than someone hitting me and giving me a black eye, like what happened to the Happy Hannukah people. None of these incidents stop me from riding the train every day (at all hours), alone, and not scared -- in fact, I get better nap time on the trains than I do on my own couch.

So, before you tell me to "grow up" and move to a cave etc etc and USE ALL CAPS IN HALF YOUR POST (shouting) maybe you should read the whole thread. Talk about over -reacting!!

Old 12-13-2007, 03:50 PM

No I read your post quite clearly and I stand by my response. I found you to be the one overreacting actually...nothing scary about this occurence...it is RARE....you have a better chance of getting hit by a car IN YOUR HOME. I seem to hear that every few weeks on the news....

Old 12-13-2007, 03:56 PM

Jajaja...I stand by my statement...physical altercation and all..people RARELY fall or are thrown in purposely...so unless you have evidence besides the hype on the news...please provide. Otherwise you are just as bad as the fear mongers on the news. The reality is it will likely NEVER happen to you, your friends, or anyone you know...ever!!!

As for robbery, the subways are extremely safe and the reality is the VAST MAJORITY of people will never be robbed, beaten or attacked on the train..which is why when it happens.. it makes news. Ipods, cell phones, you name it....the reality is you are not going to get robbed. It does happen..but you must put things in perspective...the millions that take the train EVERY DAY and it is RARE anything ever happens...lets be serious here. Enough with the fear mongering.

My comment about the projects is fair and reasonable, as oftentimes those with such pessimistic and illogically negative opinions about the city, crime, etc are those that have spent the bulk of there times in crime infested projects. The silver spoon in my mouth is in fact plastic..as I am from Mott Haven and live across the street from gargantuan projects.

Old 12-13-2007, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
No I read your post quite clearly and I stand by my response. I found you to be the one overreacting actually...nothing scary about this occurence...it is RARE....you have a better chance of getting hit by a car IN YOUR HOME. I seem to hear that every few weeks on the news....
Guy, sorry, but you did over-react.

The *thought* of being pushed into a train track is scarier for me than the *thought* of being given a black eye.

Is that better for you? Do I have to spell it out so clearly? Can you not go back and read the first post I made about this subject even after I suggested it? Do you always have to be right?

I did think about being pushed into a subway track when I read the story. I admit it. It was a passing thought, and yes, being pushed into a subway track is scarier for me than getting a black eye, because a black eye is easier to recover from than being smashed by a train.

No, I do not ever think about these things when I'm riding the train. I think about them when I read the stories on the news.

Wow, you have nothing better to do than to tell people to grow up and stay in their caves?
Maybe *that* thought should scare you into finding a better hobby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City