Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 07:49 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,219,078 times

Advertisements

Wholefoods will open in LIC I imagine at some point. As long as ya know, society doesn't collapse....which I still have suspicions about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 08:19 PM

19,058 posts, read 13,981,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
Whole foods is the modern equivalent of the confessional booth. Upper middle class Americanized consumers go there to buy indulgences to feel better about their existence. It is high moral ground consumerism and it is humbug. In the same way a trip to the confessional would wash the soul of sin now a purchase of organic quinoa garlic chips is a conscience cleansing experience. The folks that shop there pay a huge mark up for their services for products that can be had in urban ethnic markets for half the price with much better quality. My take is that the food at whole foods is retrograde and significantly overpriced.

Whole foods does not work in ethnic urban communities where there is a legacy culinary tradition. Whole foods requires white boy demographic to dominate an area for whole foods to work. Much of the ingredients are not available for ethnic dishes at WF. Whole food appeals to suburban blacks or whites that grew up with with tasteless microwave food or way too much McDonald trash and have now reacted to that culinary abomination by shifting to tasteless organic food.

My advice is go ethnic and go simple and you will find cheap basic ingredients for the most healthy ethnically appropriate diet possible. If you are an American black or an American white or Just spent too much time in the suburbs with an impotent culinary tradition you can start your own tradition by mimicing the culinary delights of the civilized ethnics of the urban areas. That tradition does not include the high-moral ground consumerism of whole foods. Start with a pasta fagioli soup from scratch. Pure fibre packed deliciousness.
You are one strange cat. That or a Bob Dylan commercial. One or the other.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:27 PM

Only in NYC can a discussion about supermarkets turn racial. This place blows.

Now that I got that out of the way... My wife works at Trader Joe's. It is an awesome company for its employees, that's for sure. They offer part-time workers health insurance (we don't use it) and a pension that starts building from day one. Her previous job was a six-figure business world management position but she likes working at TJ much better. We decided part time was better now that we have kids. We don't want them raised by other people.

Outside of the bulk products we need, we rarely shop anywhere besides TJ now. I like their beer selection, and the prices are pretty damned competitive.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:33 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,990,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
This is not true. There are plenty of Caribbean homeowners from Wakefield and East NY schlepping groceries home from the Tribeca Wholefoods. It's the closest to the financial district. They pick up their groceries at lunch time.

If you are a cook its the ingredients you are looking for. You can make them taste the way you want with the right spices, which Whole Foods also sells or they can get in their ethnic neighborhoods.
Caribbean, Latin, Asian, Americans of all ethnicities, people of all races go to Whole Foods and are willing to travel to it.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintmj nyc View Post

Sounds like this poster has never been to Forest Hills, Whitestone, College Point, Astoria, Maspeth, Belle Harbor, Forest Hills Gardens, Howard Beach, etc. .
Queens in 2010.

"According the 2010 Census, 39.7% of the population was White, 19.1% Black or African American, 22.9% Asian, 13.7% from some other race, and 4.5% of two or more races. 27.5% of Queens's population was of Hispanic, Latino, or Spanish origin (they may be of any race)."

So all types of whites together do not make up the majority of Queens. Again, Queens as a whole is not predominately white. Throughout the years, the majority of working class and middle class whites fled the borough to the point where it has become only 39.7% white, as of 2010. And obviously not all of those whites are native New Yorkers. You have a lot of white transplants in Astoria and a lot of white immigrants in Forest Hills (Russians).

Bronxguyanese claimed that white Native New Yorkers didn't like Whole Foods (not true) and I said that is irrelevant because white Native New Yorkers are NOT the majority of Queens residents.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Bro that is ridiculous my area is working class and predominantly white. Do Polish and Irish people not classify as white now?
Reread the US census stats I posted here, and reread my rebuttal to Bronxguyanese's comments. That's the problem, people are so stuck into their small neighborhoods that they apparently never leave that can't see the borough as a whole.

A The borough itself is not predominately white. As of 2010, it was 39.7% white.

B Bronxguyanese talked about Native New Yorkers who were white. He claimed white New Yorkers who were natives would never do Whole Foods. I said whites aren't even the majority in Queens, and of those Queens residents who aren't white, clearly many are transplants, Irish immigrant, Eastern European immigrants, etc. If they moved to Queens from some other state or country they do not count, because that would make them NOT White NATIVE NEW YORKERS. Do people know what NATIVE means? Sheesh! So if those Polish and Irish people were literally born elsewhere, no, they don't count.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
I have never been to Whole Foods, however there is a Trader Joes close to me.

Those type of communities do not make up the bulk of the population in Queens. Overcrowded immigrant communities like Elmhurst, Jackson Heights, Flushing, Woodside, Corona, Jamaica etc. do.
BINGO! The Flushing and Queens BLVD lines are jammed pack from people from various immigrant communities. The majority aren't white, and for those immigrants that are WHITE, the very definition of an immigrant is someone who is born elsewhere so there are therefore NOT a NATIVE!

Old 04-10-2014, 08:58 PM

I always wondered when eating would become racist in this city. Now I know.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:03 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,219,078 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY8_7LWDx0w

Old 04-10-2014, 09:10 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,141,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
Whole foods is the modern equivalent of the confessional booth. Upper middle class Americanized consumers go there to buy indulgences to feel better about their existence. It is high moral ground consumerism and it is humbug. In the same way a trip to the confessional would wash the soul of sin now a purchase of organic quinoa garlic chips is a conscience cleansing experience. The folks that shop there pay a huge mark up for their services for products that can be had in urban ethnic markets for half the price with much better quality. My take is that the food at whole foods is retrograde and significantly overpriced.

Whole foods does not work in ethnic urban communities where there is a legacy culinary tradition. Whole foods requires white boy demographic to dominate an area for whole foods to work. Much of the ingredients are not available for ethnic dishes at WF. Whole food appeals to suburban blacks or whites that grew up with with tasteless microwave food or way too much McDonald trash and have now reacted to that culinary abomination by shifting to tasteless organic food.

My advice is go ethnic and go simple and you will find cheap basic ingredients for the most healthy ethnically appropriate diet possible. If you are an American black or an American white or Just spent too much time in the suburbs with an impotent culinary tradition you can start your own tradition by mimicing the culinary delights of the civilized ethnics of the urban areas. That tradition does not include the high-moral ground consumerism of whole foods. Start with a pasta fagioli soup from scratch. Pure fibre packed deliciousness.
You can thank this member posting this gibberish for starting the downward spiral of this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City