Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 09:10 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,137,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
I was very excited when the Whole Foods opened by Woodhaven Blvd. but my last visit to the store was a disappointment because it was VERY crowded (lines stretched from the registers in the front, all the way to the back of the store). Forget trying to shop for anything in that last aisle with the scores of people waiting to check out. No way! I put down my groceries and left, and walked three blocks to my car. The parking in their miniature lot is horrendous. It was a good idea to try and put a store there but frankly, if you live close by and can either walk to the store or get there when they first open, that is the optimum time for you to shop there.
I think you mean the Trader Joe's on Woodhaven, not Whole Foods. And it does get overcrowded on weekends. But in the past, on weekdays it hasn't been too bad. Maybe that's changed, as I haven't been in awhile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 09:39 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,067,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Sounds similar to Giunta's Meat Farms.
No...more like a high end Whole Foods of Italian Salumerias without the Food Nazi snobbery and attitude.

Old 04-11-2014, 06:59 PM

530 posts, read 667,455 times
Yes, Trader Joe's!

Old 04-11-2014, 07:03 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,957,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
The Fresh Market stores blow the competition out of the water concerning the sheer 'Hollywood movie set' look and feel of the grocery shopping experience. I know these stores because I discovered one in Center Valley, Pa. and I always make a point of visiting it when I am in the area because it's such a delight just to walk in and take a look around. I love seeing the produce arranged in wonderfully artistic fashion and I never leave without buying some of their products. They tend to be more of a specialty store but then again, if that is what you are looking for, it's perfect.
This is not a Costco or a Waldbaum's. You will not find thousands of boxes of pasta lining the shelves but you will find things you don't see in the major chains. Their bakery department belongs in some bakery hall of fame. Their cakes and cookies are to die for and their selection of spices is fabulous! You can sample different coffees and teas and their flower displays are marvelous. They are located at the door so when you duck in out of the cold you are immediately surrounded by a floral paradise. It's gorgeous!
As for Key Food, it is a local store and I suspect they are able to stay in business because some of them are in areas with a very senior demographic. The stores are local, easy to walk to and that is a huge part of their success. I regularly find outdated food in the Key Food stores. I am also totally disgusted with the shabby feeling of the stores and do not enjoy them because of this.
I was very excited when the Whole Foods opened by Woodhaven Blvd. but my last visit to the store was a disappointment because it was VERY crowded (lines stretched from the registers in the front, all the way to the back of the store). Forget trying to shop for anything in that last aisle with the scores of people waiting to check out. No way! I put down my groceries and left, and walked three blocks to my car. The parking in their miniature lot is horrendous. It was a good idea to try and put a store there but frankly, if you live close by and can either walk to the store or get there when they first open, that is the optimum time for you to shop there.
Is this fresh market you speak of in NYC or Long Island?

Old 04-11-2014, 07:04 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,957,807 times
You guys ever been to Iavarone Brothers in Maspeth or the one on Long Island?

Old 04-11-2014, 07:09 PM

530 posts, read 667,455 times
OMGosh love love love !!!

Old 04-11-2014, 08:09 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
You guys ever been to Iavarone Brothers in Maspeth or the one on Long Island?
I go to the one in Maspeth all of the time. Been going there since a child with my mom.

Old 04-12-2014, 12:23 PM

251 posts, read 342,004 times
Aside from ethnic grocers in Queens, I prefer going to independent stores as well, like Natural Food & Vegetables (organic food) or Cheese of the World for cheese (both in Forest Hills).

Old 04-12-2014, 12:45 PM

21 posts, read 30,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
My advice is go ethnic and go simple and you will find cheap basic ingredients for the most healthy ethnically appropriate diet possible. If you are an American black or an American white or Just spent too much time in the suburbs with an impotent culinary tradition you can start your own tradition by mimicing the culinary delights of the civilized ethnics of the urban areas. That tradition does not include the high-moral ground consumerism of whole foods. Start with a pasta fagioli soup from scratch. Pure fibre packed deliciousness.
Stop talking about groups/cultures that you know nothing about. I am Afro-American, my family is from the South and we most certainly DO NOT and NEVER HAVE needed to "mimic the culinary delights" of others. We have our own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City