Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2014, 01:05 PM

114 posts, read 276,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post

Last, for finding that right guy? Those out of town white guys or whatever race he is don't mind being with you, sleeping with you, ravaging you up at night, but it wont be nothing longterm. You might even meet a wealthy or well to do married man and be his official side piece. You can easily get sex whenever you want and live that sex and the city lifestyle like most women in these areas. But you wont find anything long term for you. These guys will always get plenty of women and wont commit to you or are probably committed to someone else and will keep you a side piece. You really need to find an educated hood guy who finds the same values as you but that is a rarity. If you want to be with one of those guys, you better step up your game, and I don't mean your sex game, I'm talking about money game because men with money want a lady with money. Welcome to the 21st century.
An educated hood guy? What if I'm not into black guys at all?

I can't help my preferences. I tend to prefer very tall blue eyed men with fair skin. I guess it's the opposites thing...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 01:07 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,861,507 times
The OP is entitled to her hopes and dreams and the right to try to live them out. I do like that she has goals and realizes that her future children will need to be taken care of. Many young women in certain areas of the Bronx and other boros have no clue. Since Black men no longer limit themselves to Black women and haven't for years, Black women should not limit themselves to Black men.

On HGTV House Hunters there was a young woman featured in NYC that was looking for an apt and wanted to live in an area with other wealthy young people. I think pretty much for the same reasons as the OP except that she was White. She looked in Manhattan but did look in Brooklyn also. She ended up buying a studio fixer, and it really needed fixing, in a walk up on the east side for under a 1/2 million. The OP doesn't have the money to do this. But my point is there are people trying to do what the OP wants to do, and no one finds it odd if it is a White female.

At the same time, I hope that the OP is not limiting herself to White men, being a Black woman she should be open to others that meet her criteria as well, that are also interested in her. Ditto for limiting herself to bankers. There are wealthy men in all fields of endeavors, that are from all racial groups.

At this point it will take time to build the resume and get a better paying position.
5 Career Paths In Public Health | CAREEREALISM

The OP may want to go for a graduate degree in Public Health at Columbia or NYU. This may give her exposure to people in other higher earning majors, especially if she attends events, concerts and other programs at the University. It would definitely help you demand a higher salary and may even help you lauch your own business in something that would service the Public Health needs of the world.

Consider at the present to live in a cheaper safe area of any boro where all types of people live, as other posters have already suggested. There are quite a few golfing and skiing groups in the city that are mixed race or even predominately White if that is your thing. You would have more money to participate and meet others. There are also hiking and mountain climbing groups as well, that you may like since you are also interested in rock climbing.

Old 07-22-2014, 01:15 PM

2,008 posts, read 4,725,615 times

Old 07-22-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
The OP is entitled to her hopes and dreams and the right to try to live them out. I do like that she has goals and realizes that her future children will need to be taken care of. Many young women in certain areas of the Bronx and other boros have no clue. Since Black men no longer limit themselves to Black women and haven't for years, Black women should not limit themselves to Black men.

On HGTV House Hunters there was a young woman featured in NYC that was looking for an apt and wanted to live in an area with other wealthy young people. I think pretty much for the same reasons as the OP except that she was White. She looked in Manhattan but did look in Brooklyn also. She ended up buying a studio fixer, and it really needed fixing, in a walk up on the east side for under a 1/2 million. The OP doesn't have the money to do this. But my point is there are people trying to do what the OP wants to do, and no one finds it odd if it is a White female.

At the same time, I hope that the OP is not limiting herself to White men, being a Black woman she should be open to others that meet her criteria as well, that are also interested in her. Ditto for limiting herself to bankers. There are wealthy men in all fields of endeavors, that are from all racial groups.

At this point it will take time to build the resume and get a better paying position.
5 Career Paths In Public Health | CAREEREALISM

The OP may want to go for a graduate degree in Public Health at Columbia or NYU. This may give her exposure to people in other higher earning majors, especially if she attends events, concerts and other programs at the University. It would definitely help you demand a higher salary and may even help you lauch your own business in something that would service the Public Health needs of the world.

Consider at the present to live in a cheaper safe area of any boro where all types of people live, as other posters have already suggested. There are quite a few golfing and skiing groups in the city that are mixed race or even predominately White if that is your thing. You would have more money to participate and meet others. There are also hiking and mountain climbing groups as well, that you may like since you are also interested in rock climbing.
Exactly! It's almost as if people believe it's wrong for me to want more for myself and my future children. I am not really limiting myself to white men, but I do have my preferences.

I graduated at the top of my class and I am actually thinking about applying to Columbia's Mailman School of Public Health, after I gain a few more years of work experience in my field. Or I may decide to complete my graduate studies at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, because I do have a strong desire to partake in an international experience. My main concern at this point is receiving a full academic scholarship. I love not having any student loan debt and I want to remain that way, until it's time to purchase my first place.

Old 07-22-2014, 01:25 PM

It's only wrong for black women to want more than a working class existence... right?

Old 07-22-2014, 01:33 PM

2,008 posts, read 4,725,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheseca View Post
It's only wrong for black women to want more than a working class existence... right?
It has nothing to do with your race. It has everything to do with your goal of getting ahead in life is to marry a rich dude.

Old 07-22-2014, 01:35 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,861,507 times
Quote:
Exactly! It's almost as if people believe it's wrong for me to want more for myself and my future children. I am not really limiting myself to white men, but I do have my preferences.

I graduated at the top of my class and I am actually thinking about applying to Columbia's Mailman School of Public Health, after I gain a few more years of work experience in my field. Or I may decide to complete my graduate studies at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, because I do have a strong desire to partake in an international experience. My main concern at this point is receiving a full academic scholarship. I love not having any student loan debt and I want to remain that way, until it's time to purchase my first place.
I am a financial professional so I really like your financial savvy. Work with what you have, as you are doing. Don't worry about how someone else achieved what they have (rich parents, trust funds, hard work, etc). You have your goals, set your plan and work it.

My only personal advice is to not only look at wealth, but also love, and if the person you meet and want to commit to, shares your over all outlook in life. All the money in the world won't buy you out of misery.

Old 07-22-2014, 01:35 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,052,004 times
Quote:
An educated hood guy? What if I'm not into black guys at all?

I can't help my preferences. I tend to prefer very tall blue eyed men with fair skin. I guess it's the opposites thing...
You gotta step up your income game that's all and you will find a blue eyed white guy with an ivy league degree that women kinky natural haired black women and Asian women like. You You need to find your source of water. Don't end up like most women of the style you want to fashion, mid to late 30s single never married no kids and jaded. I have met a few of these types and mainly are white women. Some looking to settle while others still holding out on Mr big prince charming nice guy with loads of money. Lol.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 07-22-2014 at 01:46 PM..

Old 07-22-2014, 01:39 PM

432 posts, read 552,127 times
+1 for getting a masters and using that opportunity to expand your social network, while working towards earning more income at the same time. Upward social mobility is not something that will happen overnight, and pulling in $35 k a year will definitely limit your lifestyle.

Old 07-22-2014, 01:57 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,331,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
I am a financial professional so I really like your financial savvy. Work with what you have, as you are doing. Don't worry about how someone else achieved what they have (rich parents, trust funds, hard work, etc). You have your goals, set your plan and work it.

My only personal advice is to not only look at wealth, but also love, and if the person you meet and want to commit to, shares your over all outlook in life. All the money in the world won't buy you out of misery.
OP, this poster is giving very good advice. There is nothing wrong with wanting something better. Just don't get fixated on those that were already born into an advantage. In this country education is the gateway to a better life. If you focus on getting into a grad program at a top institution, then that's a much better path to gain access to what you desire. Moving into an apartment in manhattan that you can hardly afford isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City