Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2014, 10:16 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,725,615 times

Advertisements

This thread is hilarious!

Once again... how does anyone, regardless of race... afford nice things? They have money. Their parents have money, or they sacrifice.

Your goals although they are ambitious are not something that you should really be worrying about right now. If you want to live in a nice area of Manhattan and surround yourself with well off people, you're going to need a serious influx of money to be able to partake in any activities.

You're looking at about 2000 dollars take home after taxes, if you do any sort of 401k, health insurance or any other deductables it'll be even less. In order to afford anything, IE a closet of someones bedroom in Columbus Circle, you're looking at 1000 dollars a month. So that leaves you with 1000 dollars a month for any expenses and fun. Metro card, electricity, phone, internet, food, etc. you're down to maybe, if you're lucky, 400 a month.

Now, good luck going out and having fun with your new well off friends when their idea of fun is spending 100+ a night at the bar... you say you're not going to be like that, but you will. You're going to want to fit in.

Also, golf is a very expensive hobby, especially here. Rock climbing you can join a membership for about 100 a month, but those places are in the boroughs (that I know of at least). Any other predominately 'white' activities are also expensive as well. Why? Because back when those activities first started 'the white man' was the one with the money to afford it. So the white played those sports and the minorities played other sports. ie basketball, baseball, soccer. It's turning around now that everyone has money, but it's obviously still skewed in either direction for the sport.

I'm not trying to say that your goals are bad, and that your ambition is off or that you picked the wrong career path. I'm just saying that right now, your near-term goals are a little much with what you have. Maybe IF you get that 70k job you can re evaluate your options but for now your best option is stick to the boroughs. I live in Queens, and could afford Manhattan, but I don't, because I like space, quiet, and I'm only 15 minutes from midtown so it's not a big deal to get there if needed. You can also get all the amenities of Manhattan in a borough as well. You don't have to be so close minded and think that Manhattan is the end all be all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 10:21 AM

114 posts, read 276,823 times
[quote=skinnayyy;35758762]

I'm not trying to say that your goals are bad, and that your ambition is off or that you picked the wrong career path. I'm just saying that right now, your near-term goals are a little much with what you have. Maybe IF you get that 70k job you can re evaluate your options but for now your best option is stick to the boroughs. I live in Queens, and could afford Manhattan, but I don't, because I like space, quiet, and I'm only 15 minutes from midtown so it's not a big deal to get there if needed. You can also get all the amenities of Manhattan in a borough as well. You don't have to be so close minded and think that Manhattan is the end all be all.

Or, I could get a room in Manhattan and meet an established nice guy who resides in the area. Stranger things have happened.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:32 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,331,727 times
This is a case of envy, pure and simple. The OP chose an industry with a low salary that does not offer her the (perceived) good life of young manhattan whites. You want an upper middle class lifestyle but work in a profession and come from a background that is not. My question is, do you fit into the lifestyle you want? You desire it but if you're not from it, you'll play the whole game of trying to "keep up appearances" when trying to fit into a different group. This has nothing to do with race, it's a social-economic thing. Nothing wrong with poorer and working class but usually you don't get a lot of mixing between economic divisions.

Anyway, my two cents is to make a lateral career move to bump up your income, find a manhattan roommate situation, join a bunch of meetup.com groups that cater more to your desired interests. The career move may take some time but you can start going to meetups tonight.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:02 AM

48 posts, read 92,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
My question is, do you fit into the lifestyle you want? You desire it but if you're not from it, you'll play the whole game of trying to "keep up appearances" when trying to fit into a different group. This has nothing to do with race, it's a social-economic thing. Nothing wrong with poorer and working class but usually you don't get a lot of mixing between economic divisions.
This is exactly what I was trying to say when I said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperVigilent View Post
On a side note, why would you want to live around people that aren't like you anyway; young professionals WITH 'wealthy' parents? Why would that make you happy? What do you have in common besides graduating from college? As far as building your network, in 'public health/environmental studies' find a community that caters to that instead of looking for a 'cool nabe' in Manhattan.
Anyway, just out of curiosity, you said you live in the Bronx, which neighborhood are you currently in?

Old 07-22-2014, 11:03 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,407,485 times
You have to live somewhere but you can't live where
you can't afford. I know it sucks but that's how it is.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:09 AM

[quote=Cheseca;35758856]
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post

Or, I could get a room in Manhattan and meet an established nice guy who resides in the area. Stranger things have happened.
I'm glad that you have goals in life...

You should set up your match.com profile "seeking rich guy to provide for me"

Old 07-22-2014, 11:10 AM

33 posts, read 63,503 times
I make 75k exactly and I am in ibanking and I'm Asian not white.

I am moving to Roosevelt Island because the $1800/m rent in Greenwich Village for a stall shower and tiny bedroom (had to downgrade to twin bed) plus rats in walls on the 5th floor walk-up was not ideal.

Before this I lived in 200 Water Street in FiDi. Let me tell you this even on Wall Street most people work and pay their own rent instead of rich parents. That is a myth. Maybe 1/5 does that. I have wealthy parents who own several properties and they will never pay my rent for me.

Believe or not children of wealthy successful professionals who went to elite prep schools and good colleges are actually hard-working and smart.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:11 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,837,498 times
[quote=skinnayyy;35759667]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheseca View Post

I'm glad that you have goals in life...

You should set up your match.com profile "seeking rich guy to provide for me"
Seekingarrangments.com

Old 07-22-2014, 11:14 AM

[quote=ohiogirl22;35759701]
Quote:

Seekingarrangments.com
Oh yeah!! I forgot about that site!

Old 07-22-2014, 11:36 AM

91 posts, read 214,832 times
[quote=Cheseca;35758856]
Quote:

Sounds like you have already had your mind set. Good luck and please report back in a year on your progress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City