Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 05:03 AM

114 posts, read 276,781 times

Advertisements

How can so many young whites afford to pay such high rents in Manhattan? I'm a recent college grad and I'd love to reside in an area with plenty of nice amenities and restaurants, preferably around the Columbus circle area, but I rarely see any blacks renting in such nice areas of NYC.

I have thought about this issue and I've arrived at the following assumptions:

1. A relative is financing their apartment
2. They are rooming with multiple people, or
3. They inherited trust fund money

I make 35K a year and I'd love to find good roommates, but a number of my friends are from working class backgrounds and have no interest in residing in the areas that I'd like to live in. As a young woman, I am interested in living in a better area for a number of reasons. I'm 23 and I believe it would be easier to meet the right type of guy in the better areas of Manhattan as opposed to the Bronx. My lease will be up in another month and I know that I need to make a major change. I'm so sick of the crime, and overall gloomy environment of my current living situation. My apartment is nice, but it's in an economically depressed neighborhood with plenty of shady characters and blue collar, low income and uneducated guys.

Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 05:17 AM

257 posts, read 685,001 times
4. They're making a lot more than 35k. Starting salaries for college graduates in a few fields in New York can be close to, or over, 100k.

Also, what's wrong with 2? Not that I think that it's possible to afford a room around Columbus Circle on a 35k salary no matter how many roommates you have, but it certainly makes things a lot easier.

Old 07-22-2014, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopompos View Post
4. They're making a lot more than 35k. Starting salaries for college graduates in a few fields in New York can be close to, or over, 100k.

Also, what's wrong with 2? Not that I think that it's possible to afford a room around Columbus Circle on a 35k salary no matter how many roommates you have, but it certainly makes things a lot easier.
I seriously doubt that starting salaries for white recent grads in NYC are at or above 100K. Obviously, in demand fields like engineering and banking can garner a good income, but how many recent grads are able to secure such lucrative gigs?

I believe most young white recent grads who reside in high priced areas of the city receive money from their parents or from a trust fund. I wish that I was born into a wealthy family, like many whites in Manhattan.

I am wondering if it's common for people to rent with strangers, or do most prefer to rent only with friends? I wouldn't mind living with strangers, as long as they are sane, practice good hygiene and pay their rent on-time. I do not have any student loans, or other debts, so I can afford to use the bulk of my salary for rent.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:06 AM

257 posts, read 685,001 times
Well, I don't know why you're taking your bitterness about not being born into a rich family to a public forum. Are you looking for sympathy? If so, the city-data forums are probably the wrong place. Are you looking for affirmation that your beliefs are correct? Maybe you'll find that, but it will all be anecdotal evidence. My take is that all of the "Manhattan whites" that I know, except one, are paying for their own apartments out of their decent(for relatively new grads) salaries. Someone who gets to hang out with "trust fund kids" will obviously have a different perspective. Which number is actually greater?

It's pretty common to live with strangers, in New York City especially. I have never done it myself but have plenty of friends who have. Unpleasant situations don't seem to be that common, but if you happen to somehow get into one your life can become a nightmare - do your due diligence before signing anything and moving anywhere.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:08 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,312,562 times
When I was in my 20's living in Manhattan I would wake up early every morning, get dressed and go to work. Actually I still do the same. Only difference is that I now own vs rent and have kids.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
When I was in my 20's living in Manhattan I would wake up early every morning, get dressed and go to work. Actually I still do the same. Only difference is that I now own vs rent and have kids.
And you live in Queens, based on your profile, not Manhattan. I'm specifically referring to young whites who reside in high priced areas of Manhattan, not working class or middle class whites.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopompos View Post
Well, I don't know why you're taking your bitterness about not being born into a rich family to a public forum. Are you looking for sympathy? If so, the city-data forums are probably the wrong place. Are you looking for affirmation that your beliefs are correct? Maybe you'll find that, but it will all be anecdotal evidence. My take is that all of the "Manhattan whites" that I know, except one, are paying for their own apartments out of their decent(for relatively new grads) salaries. Someone who gets to hang out with "trust fund kids" will obviously have a different perspective. Which number is actually greater?

It's pretty common to live with strangers, in New York City especially. I have never done it myself but have plenty of friends who have. Unpleasant situations don't seem to be that common, but if you happen to somehow get into one your life can become a nightmare - do your due diligence before signing anything and moving anywhere.
I am not looking for sympathy, I just think life is really strange. Some people are born into wealthy families, while others have to actually work for whatever they obtain. I think it's interesting that you actually believe most young whites in Manhattan have six figure salaries.

It's fairly common for white wealthy parents to buy and/or rent apartments for their children.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:18 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,257,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheseca View Post
And you live in Queens, based on your profile, not Manhattan. I'm specifically referring to young whites who reside in high priced areas of Manhattan, not working class or middle class whites.
Here are some scenarios:

- Their wealthy parents pay their rent for at least one year.

- They are "trustafarians," so the Trust pays the rent forever.

- They live in crappy walk-up 2-bedroom apartments that they share with two other people.

- None of the above. They make a great salary (say 75K) and have a pretty good living situation, and at the end of one year busting their butts at work, they have the exact same amount of money in the bank they started with one year ago.

Your are not 1 and 2. You don't make enough money for 3. And you would be stupid to do 4.

Move to some boring place like Little Neck or Forest Hills. Spend your weekends in Manhattan with your Manhattan friends. You're not the only one.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Here are some scenarios:

- Their wealthy parents pay their rent for at least one year.

- They are "trustafarians," so the Trust pays the rent forever.

- They live in crappy walk-up 2-bedroom apartments that they share with two other people.

- None of the above. They make a great salary (say 75K) and have a pretty good living situation, and at the end of one year busting their butts at work, they have the exact same amount of money in the bank they started with one year ago.

Your are not 1 and 2. You don't make enough money for 3. And you would be stupid to do 4.

Move to some boring place like Little Neck or Forest Hills. Spend your weekends in Manhattan with your Manhattan friends. You're not the only one.
Why wouldn't I be able to afford an apartment share situation? As I have already stated, I do not have any student loans to repay, nor do I have any other debt. I have managed to save 13K and I am interested in experiencing life in a good area of Manhattan. At the end of the day, it's all about location, location, location.

Currently, I rent a large one bedroom apartment, but it's meaningless because the apartment is in a working class area with plenty of undesirables in the surrounding area and very few local amenities. I want to reside around certain types of people, to possibly expand my network.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:43 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,723,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheseca View Post
I seriously doubt that starting salaries for white recent grads in NYC are at or above 100K. Obviously, in demand fields like engineering and banking can garner a good income, but how many recent grads are able to secure such lucrative gigs?

I believe most young white recent grads who reside in high priced areas of the city receive money from their parents or from a trust fund. I wish that I was born into a wealthy family, like many whites in Manhattan.

I am wondering if it's common for people to rent with strangers, or do most prefer to rent only with friends? I wouldn't mind living with strangers, as long as they are sane, practice good hygiene and pay their rent on-time. I do not have any student loans, or other debts, so I can afford to use the bulk of my salary for rent.
A LOT actually. Every single year there are a lot of banking people that start off out of college making 70k+ salary plus bonus, then after a year or two, move on to a better position making 100k+ plus bonus. This is all by the time they are 23? If you have your **** together at a young age you can make a lot more money faster than someone that figured out what they wanted to do in life before their senior year of college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City