Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 07:20 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,318,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheseca View Post
I did read your post. My initial statement refers to young whites who rent and purchase in high priced areas of Manhattan.
In that case it would probably be a requirement to be literate in order to live in a high priced Manhattan nabe as I did when in my 20's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 07:21 AM

114 posts, read 276,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatTheHellMan View Post
-High paying jobs like accounting, investment banking, or law
-Living with roommates
-Parents help out

Not that complicated and btw it's not just "young whites," it's anyone who is from a wealthy background.
I don't believe in being politically correct, just to make others feel comfortable. I'm sure there are people of all colors and ethnic backgrounds who fall under each of your above scenarios, but it is not the norm, otherwise the nice areas of Manhattan would be filled with non white faces.

I rarely see Blacks or Latinos, out and about enjoying the restaurants and amenities in the nice areas of Manhattan.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:24 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,564,763 times
Quote:
I am not looking for sympathy, I just think life is really strange. Some people are born into wealthy families, while others have to actually work for whatever they obtain. I think it's interesting that you actually believe most young whites in Manhattan have six figure salaries.

It's fairly common for white wealthy parents to buy and/or rent apartments for their children.

Oh so, you asked us why.... but you already know the answer.
Is this a trap?.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:25 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,564,763 times
Quote:
I don't believe in being politically correct, just to make others feel comfortable. I'm sure there are people of all colors and ethnic backgrounds who fall under each of your above scenarios, but it is not the norm, otherwise the nice areas of Manhattan would be filled with non white faces.

I rarely see Blacks or Latinos, out and about enjoying the restaurants and amenities in the nice areas of Manhattan.

That's right. There are only three racial groups in the most cosmopolitan city in the world.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:25 AM

420 posts, read 823,864 times
Quote:

A large amount of the young people you see owning/renting in expensive areas are wealthy Asians, Indians, and Middle Eastern people. The pressure in those areas to have expensive property in NYC is huge.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
If my parents didn't help, I would find a roommate and probably pay the same. Lots of friends on the upper east side paying $1200 each for a 2 bed in a nice walk up on second ave.
Unfortunately, I do not have any friends who are interested in living in the good areas of Manhattan. Most of them are content with residing in a working class, unsafe neighborhood. I am in serious need of new friends who want more out of life.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatTheHellMan View Post
A large amount of the young people you see owning/renting in expensive areas are wealthy Asians, Indians, and Middle Eastern people. The pressure in those areas to have expensive property in NYC is huge.
I do not see a lot of Asians or Middle Eastern people in the wealthy areas of Manhattan. I mostly see white people.

Which areas of Manhattan are you referring to?

Old 07-22-2014, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
That's right. There are only three racial groups in the most cosmopolitan city in the world.
The three defined racial groups include persons of Asian, African or Caucasian origins. Note that ethnicity and race are not the same thing.

4,471 posts, read 9,837,498 times
Quote:
I have a lot of rich indian friends who live in expensive apartments. Do they not count as a minority?

48 posts, read 92,597 times
Public health/environmental studies is a notoriously low paying field, starting out and long-term on target earnings (with a few exceptions), so I don't know what you were expecting starting out.

Now when you drone on about 'nice Manhattan' what do you mean by that? Because 'nice' is so subjective. If 'nice' for you is analogous with moneyed, then Columbus Circle isn't the only neighborhood, and if fact it isn't really a residential neighborhood at all, it's like wanting to live in Time Square/Midtown (sure there are people who live there, but c'mon, it's not designed to be a residential neighborhood, both are commercial districts and within greater Midtown). As for other 'nice' Manhattan neighborhoods you'd probably like the following:

-Financial District
-Greenwich Village/SoHo
-Upper East Side
-Stuyvesant Town/Turtle Bay
-Upper West Side

Overall, New York City as a whole is change very rapidly and if I were you I'd change my perspective. There's nothing wrong with living in a working-class neighborhood, in fact that's what most young professionals out of college have been doing for the past 10 years and going forward because Manhattan is so expensive. But if you must live in Manhattan, for someone like you I'd recommend Harlem (even though it's not moneyed, but it's changing steadily).

As far as my personal experience goes, most newly graduated professional people I've known with the exception of maybe two people did it on their own. Two had their parents pay for everything until they got a higher paying job and settled in and the others payed their own way. The ones who payed their own way all started with roommates, but of course they did get a little 'help' from their parents, their parents co-signed on their leases, but this doesn't mean their parents are 'rich'. Not sure if you're parents are willing to do this but this might hold you back big-time.

On a side note, why would you want to live around people that aren't like you anyway; young professionals WITH 'wealthy' parents? Why would that make you happy? What do you have in common besides graduating from college? As far as building your network, in 'public health/environmental studies' find a community that caters to that instead of looking for a 'cool nabe' in Manhattan.

As far as 'public health/environmental studies' goes maybe someone could make outerboro suggestions in Queens or non-Gentrified Brooklyn because I don't know them that well for you profession with the exception of Riverdale, Bronx. [This] would be a good nabe for network building in your sector however there are zero hip amenities there and it's a 40-45 min ride into the heart of the city. Riverdale is a very very nice neighborhood but outside of that I would avoid the Bronx at all costs, don't even consider it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City