Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 05:56 PM

16 posts, read 35,732 times

Advertisements

how ya doin peoples? well anywayz i've always loved the concept of New York from the fashion, to the music, to the diversity but i haven't been since i was like 2, and now im 17 and i most def. want to intern at a law firm (or with something dealing with fashion or music )! my parents say they really dont want me to go because of safety issues but if i really want to go that i should follow my heart and take in the full experience (mother and father both lived there when they were younger)! do yall think this a good idea for a 17 yr old young lady(my 18 year old cousin is coming along too)? where are some safe and cheap (did i mention cheap ) places to stay? is it any spots to cool it in (have fun), like trendy teen spots ? ima southern gal so im very nice, but i have ALOT of street smarts, im not a **** starter, but i dont take no **** either (guess i'll fit in) someone please just give this ATLbred young lady some insight on just what im getting myself into! PLEASE! o yea im trying to intern in manhattan!!!! sorry i wrote so much just excited and sorry i used so many icons (they too cute) PEACE, LUV, AND HAIRGREASE and im out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2007, 06:02 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
My advice: stay in school. Or go back to school if you are not currently attending.

Old 12-22-2007, 06:17 PM

11 posts, read 60,119 times
I second that! Come to NYC when you have a proper career sorted out....you will see a whole new side to it.

Old 12-22-2007, 06:20 PM

16 posts, read 35,732 times
it's only for the summer, but if i dont get an intern, then only for a month i just want the experience to see if i might want to go to college here. i (my parents) wouldn't dare let me go somewhere without getting my education first or sending me somewhere for just pure pleasure they're all about education and if this trip didn't deal with highering my education first, they would'nt dare consider letting me go. thanks for the response and for being positive, as some people can be harsh on here.

Old 12-22-2007, 06:42 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,665,293 times
You're not going to get an internship at a law firm (or anywhere else) at age 17.

The competition for internships is fierce, and they take law school students.

Same goes for the fashion and music internships. You are talking coveted, unpaid spots that are open to college students.

How are you going to pay rent?

Old 12-22-2007, 07:11 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,336,163 times
How do you get an internship straight outta high school at a law firm?

Actually when do you plan on coming? If it is not until after you graduate from college and get into grad school, it makes no sense to plan now for it.

Old 12-22-2007, 09:24 PM

238 posts, read 617,351 times
I 2nd the *unpaid* internships. my kid was *lucky* enough to get one in manhattan...there's temporary housing plus utilities, transportation around city, food, some entertainment, plus we have to pay the college for the credit! its adding up to 10K for one semester. did I say *lucky*?

Old 12-22-2007, 10:41 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
Stay in school.

You're far more likely to have success with college. Those who dole out the internships are also looking for people with college and, preferably, those with degrees. Law firms basically only take law students. Don't give up, just defer until you have more background and credentials.

Old 02-19-2009, 03:40 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,112,482 times
Heed what you've been told already. There is no "cheap" housing, not even inexpensive out in the boroughs or Jersey. Maybe if you were down the shore Jersey (at least a 2 hour commute one way) or western Jersey, Boonton area, you might find something affordable on a $100K salary, but again, the transportation costs would equal a semester at college.

My niece just bought a house in western jersey where the taxes are half what they are around here - She paid $300K, has a patch of sidewalk in front and a 2x4 yard. Her taxes alone would pay for a year in college.

If you really want to experience something like NYC, apply to RISD (Rhode Island School of Design) or Roger Williams University (for Law), both in Providence, RI. Find out slower what the northeast is about. Or apply to one of the universities in/around Boston. You can then do a daytrip to the big city with friends. Atl may be a big city, but it's a southern city which really isn't comparable. I went to college in Tennessee, so I have a reverse point of reference for you.

Old 02-19-2009, 03:41 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
This thread is well over a year old...I'm sure the OP has sorted things by now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City