Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 01:05 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,493,788 times

Advertisements

Let me preface this post by saying that I was born and raised in the Bronx, New York and moved to Austin, Texas in 2004 due to marriage. Prior to meeting my husband, I probably would not have left the City since it was all that I knew, and I was pretty established.

However, since leaving, I can't say that I miss the City enough to want to move back. It's nice to visit family and all, maybe shop at some stores, but that's about it. Crazy.

Last edited by Bo; 12-28-2009 at 01:30 PM.. Reason: Moved from General US due to single city rule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 01:27 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,105,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Let me preface this post by saying that I was born and raised in the Bronx, New York and moved to Austin, Texas in 2004 due to marriage. Prior to meeting my husband, I probably would not have left the City since it was all that I knew, and I was pretty established.

However, since leaving, I can't say that I miss the City enough to want to move back. It's nice to visit family and all, maybe shop at some stores, but that's about it. Crazy.

I am the same way. I left NY to come to Texas for college and all of my family and friends have since left NY as well. None of them want to move back

Old 12-28-2009, 02:49 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,656,534 times
I don't see this thread getting much response in the NY forum since it is looking for replies from former Nyers who moved away.
I only saw it before it was moved otherwise i would not have seen it.

I still have family in NY and there are some friends I do miss but would never move back.

Old 12-28-2009, 03:09 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,080,152 times
Three for three: never returning....hello Albany, are you listening...naw probably not....and the numbers will rise.....

Old 12-28-2009, 03:13 PM

963 posts, read 2,302,934 times
I spent six years in the southwest (New Mexico and Arizona) and came back largely due to changes in the economy. Would I have come back otherwise? No. Am I glad I'm back? A qualified yes. The things I will always love about New York are still here. I no longer have the passion for this place as I once did--that comes from having a wider range of travel and experiences to draw from. Nevertheless, I make it a point to look for the good in any place I find myself and focus on that. And there is much good here to appreciate!

Old 12-28-2009, 03:16 PM

18,126 posts, read 11,762,592 times
I really miss all that NYC has to offer but not the weather. Now if I won the mega millions, I would have a summer home in NYC and the rest of the year in Florida.

Old 12-28-2009, 03:31 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,949,028 times
Everyone I know that has moved away due to personal choice or because they had to, misses it and wants to move back. Mostly those who moved to Texas and Florida.

Old 12-28-2009, 04:39 PM

129 posts, read 335,338 times
My heart is torn. I miss NYC tremendously, but when I lived there, I was looking for a reason to move. San Antonio is great, almost the opposite of the Bronx: Quiet, inexpensive, and it doesn't snow. It gets crazy hot here in the summer, though, and it's mostly Mexican culture, as opposed to the diversity of NYC. I bought a house for what I could have bought a closet for in Manhattan, but I miss quite a bit of the city life.

I think a return trip to the South Bronx may be the wake up call I need to stay in Texas as opposed to moving back and going to John Jay grad school.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:45 AM

44 posts, read 137,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post

I lived in Newark for three months earlier this year, but since I have moved back to Buffalo. I miss NYC daily.

Old 12-29-2009, 01:41 AM

966 posts, read 2,446,990 times
I'm torn sometimes. I miss all the arts and entertainment, and my spiritual home, the NYC underground poetry and music scene. Feening for it right now, like an addict. The only thing that would make me move back to NYC would be the job market, which does not even begin to compare here in Madison. The NYC lifestyle was just not for me--the fast pace, loudness, crowds, boisterousness, gentrification, ridiculously high rents, overcrowded inner city college classrooms, madness and mayhem on the subways, etc.; although it was once exciting, when I moved there about thirteen years ago. I may come back, but I have to give Madison a chance. The lifestyle here is what I love--the pace, the beauty, the quirkiness, the social consciousness. Madison's covert, smiley-face style of racism or conservativism blind sides me at times and is bloody frustrating and infuriating, to say the least. New Yorkers tend to wear their hearts on their sleeves, so as a Black person I pretty much know where I stand, from the start. I sure do miss the diversity.

But this city (Madison) still has my heart somehow. Go figure. Lately, I've been writing Neruda-like poetry to Madison, like the passionately bittersweet love poetry Neruda wrote to Chile. Ideally, that is if I could afford it, I would live in Madison and visit NYC once or twice a year. This could happen. Gonna hang in there. In the meantime, I have not burned any bridges, and I like reading the city-data NYC threads. I am still in touch with two of my NYC artist friends, I still subscribe to Time Out magazine, I'm on the email lists and myspace pages of several NYC poets and musicians, and I occasionally dare to go into that hell hole of craigslist's NYC rants and raves. lol. Whew! Just to remind myself why I moved.

Last edited by Nala8; 12-29-2009 at 02:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City