Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 03:47 PM

624 posts, read 983,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
All good spots. An Beal is really Riverdale though not Kingsbridge.
Doesn't matter, if its walkable or a very quick public transit trip from Kingsbridge its an amenity if you live in that neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 04:00 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,329,863 times
Bronx has good restaurants in Little Italy, and Dominican spots are also peppered randomly around. So it's not all a culinary wasteland

Old 11-13-2014, 04:04 PM

624 posts, read 983,005 times
I'd also mention that kingsbridge has amazing shopping amentities. The new shopping center with the Aldi food market is right there and you also have the shopping center by the river with Target. A lot of people could probably do all of their day to day shopping without leaving the neighborhoood.

Norwood only has very basic stuff like key food. I have to drive out to westchester to do my food shopping.

Old 11-13-2014, 04:24 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Quote:
I saw something in the times about that company. Are they the same ones spending 10 million in Wash. Heights? BTW what street by you is this gut job.

Also your 100% correct in terms of restaraunts. You want really authentic food, plenty spots in The Bronx.
It's actually 3 different companies who have bought a total of about 20 apartment buildings in the area in the last year and they all apparently have the same idea. It started with Goldfarb who bought 1130,1135 1144 and 1540 Pelham Parkway and 2160 Matthews and started emptying,renovating and reconfiguring about a year ago. More recently 2 other huge companies,one of them Related Companies, bought 12 or 15 other buildings on Bronx Park East,Bolton Street, Cruger and Holland Avenues. They both have started the same thing.

What company did you read about in the Times? I saw a piece in the Daily News about Goldfarb because the tenants in some of the buildings organized to fight them but had to dig on my own to find out about the other 2.

Old 11-14-2014, 09:38 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,690,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
It's actually 3 different companies who have bought a total of about 20 apartment buildings in the area in the last year and they all apparently have the same idea. It started with Goldfarb who bought 1130,1135 1144 and 1540 Pelham Parkway and 2160 Matthews and started emptying,renovating and reconfiguring about a year ago. More recently 2 other huge companies,one of them Related Companies, bought 12 or 15 other buildings on Bronx Park East,Bolton Street, Cruger and Holland Avenues. They both have started the same thing.

What company did you read about in the Times? I saw a piece in the Daily News about Goldfarb because the tenants in some of the buildings organized to fight them but had to dig on my own to find out about the other 2.
Bluedog, I can't remember. It was in last weeks paper. Bought three properties for 10 million? BTW I would imagine that's good for you. Get some more working people into the area.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Bluedog, I can't remember. It was in last weeks paper. Bought three properties for 10 million? BTW I would imagine that's good for you. Get some more working people into the area.
Well,if they bought 3 properties for 10 million they must be fairly small buildings because the buildings I'm talking about are all 75 to 125 apartments each and have been selling for around 10 million each

Whether it's good for the area remains to be seen.This has always been a solid working people area and there is a chance that the old timer type working people will simply be replaced by people with vouchers.Section 8 has always paid considerably above Bronx market prices,which is why greedy landlords are often very happy to take them. New rents in this neighborhood seem to be getting considerably above the rest of The Bronx so it could go either way.Most of the buildings around here were owned by smaller time landlords who actually lived in and had a stake in the community.The big conglomerates buying up the neighborhood now care only about getting top dollar.They don't care who lives here as long as they get the rent.

In many cases,the rents have gone up almost 100% in just the time I have been living here. Glad I bought when I did.

Last edited by bluedog2; 11-14-2014 at 10:27 AM..

Old 11-14-2014, 10:26 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
Quote:
Well,if they bought 3 properties for 10 million they must be fairly small buildings because the buildings I'm talking about are all 75 to 125 apartments each and have been selling for around 10 million each

Whether it's good for the area remains to be seen.This has always been a solid working people area and there is a chance that the old timer type working people will simply be replaced by people with vouchers.Section 8 has always paid considerably above Bronx market prices,which is why greedy landlords are often very happy to take them. New rents in this neighborhood seem to be getting considerably above the rest of The Bronx so it could go either way.In many cases,the rents have gone up almost 100% in just the time I have been living here. Glad I bought when I did.
Yeah, it was definitely a solidly working area when I lived there. Like I've said ad nauseum, the only reason why I left was because of marriage. Hell, I'm thinking I should have held onto my apartment. My mortgage and common charges at the time totalled less than $1100/mo. and probably would have only increased by a few hundred over the years. Meanwhile, rents and housing prices have gone up so that if I had rented my unit out, I'd actually turn a steady profit each month. Oh well..

Old 11-14-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Yeah, it was definitely a solidly working area when I lived there. Like I've said ad nauseum, the only reason why I left was because of marriage. Hell, I'm thinking I should have held onto my apartment. My mortgage and common charges at the time totalled less than $1100/mo. and probably would have only increased by a few hundred over the years. Meanwhile, rents and housing prices have gone up so that if I had rented my unit out, I'd actually turn a steady profit each month. Oh well..
Yes, a 2br/2 ba in your old building would likely rent for at least $2,000/mo right now.Just think if you had no mortgage and only had the maintenance for expenses !

Weird thing is,the selling prices on condos and co ops haven't gone up as quickly or as much as the rents in the last 5 years.Right now it is definitely cheaper monthly to buy than to rent in this neighborhood but I guess most people just don't have the 20% down.I think the tighter lending rules have acted to help drive rents up by prohibiting some people from buying.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:48 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,690,119 times
Quote:

Whether it's good for the area remains to be seen.This has always been a solid working people area and there is a chance that the old timer type working people will simply be replaced by people with vouchers.Section 8 has always paid considerably above Bronx market prices,which is why greedy landlords are often very happy to take them. New rents in this neighborhood seem to be getting considerably above the rest of The Bronx so it could go either way.Most of the buildings around here were owned by smaller time landlords who actually lived in and had a stake in the community.The big conglomerates buying up the neighborhood now care only about getting top dollar.They don't care who lives here as long as they get the rent.

In many cases,the rents have gone up almost 100% in just the time I have been living here. Glad I bought when I did.
I hope they don't get section 8 but that's a whole other thread.

Old 11-14-2014, 12:57 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
Quote:
Yes, a 2br/2 ba in your old building would likely rent for at least $2,000/mo right now.Just think if you had no mortgage and only had the maintenance for expenses !

Weird thing is,the selling prices on condos and co ops haven't gone up as quickly or as much as the rents in the last 5 years.Right now it is definitely cheaper monthly to buy than to rent in this neighborhood but I guess most people just don't have the 20% down.I think the tighter lending rules have acted to help drive rents up by prohibiting some people from buying.
Yeah I think so too. Though the purchase prices are about three or four times what I paid years ago
The late 90s was a really sweet time to buy because even then I knew there's no way I'd ever see real estate in the five boroughs be that affordable. People wondered how I was able to live singly and comfortably in NYC..it's because I chose to scrimp and save so that I could buy instead of rent.

Hey, if you ever move out of the area (which I don't think you will), it would be in your financial interest probably to be a landlord. There is such rental demand that you'd actually make money.

I don't want the disabled and the elderly who are in subsidized apartments to go. Beth Abraham I think still has a presence in the area. At the same time I'm torn because from a financial standpoint, it's good for the market, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City