Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 03:22 AM

116 posts, read 220,987 times

Advertisements

Why would anybody want to live in the projects though?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 06:25 AM

913 posts, read 2,273,022 times
The one in the article in East NY is not the best of areas.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:37 PM

3 posts, read 21,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by q41apartments View Post
@Plexor - There is no actual interview. It's Just Getting A Post card, coming in, being shown the individual units based on what you want, 1 bedroom, 2 bedroom, and submitting requested documents like drivers license, paystubs, etc.

They ran my credit check that same week after I came in. They don't save that to the end. The credit and background must all be completed before being awarding the applicant a unit. You can ask if your specific lottery has a specific credit rating requirement. I'm sure they all do. Mine said all applicants must have 700 and above so you know hundreds of applicants were disqualified once their credit was run.

Okay let me be more specific, I applied online NYC CONNECT and 1 year later got a letter for an interview. After they recalculated my income they said I qualified, all that was left was to run my credit and submit it to the city??? that doesn't make any sense to me.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:48 PM

Yes, that is the process. They'll run your credit and I'm sure they informed you what the credit requirement is such as (nothing under 650 or 700). Once all their personal checks go through (credit, background, employment, criminal record), they'll call you to formally congratulate you and inform you of the unit. Of course, it's officially written in stone once you sign your lease.

The problem is, the people doing the credit check (probably HPD) are very SLOW with a capital S. They personify all the bad stereotypes of city employees so it might be a few weeks before they get back to you. In some instances, they'll get back to you right away especially if you're latin or black. HPD employees are majority latin/black so when it comes to helping their OWN community - they're insanely responsive.

Is the lottery you applied for low or middle income?

Hope this helps and good.

Old 01-17-2015, 04:38 PM

3 posts, read 21,007 times
Thanks q4, well this is a low income apartment. the whole building is low & middle income. Your post was very helpful and I actually called the office the other day where I was told management has yet to run my credit. Also, I had the work verification done electronically. Would they also send a letter?

Old 01-17-2015, 05:19 PM

You're welcome.

Would who send what letter? They're supposed to conduct all those checks. You're only obligated to supply paystubs, tax return etc.

The whole process is ridiculously drawn out for no reason. You can always check online to see if they run your credit. I checked mine the same week and they did it that same week after I submitted the requested documents. I'm sure they made you sign something authorizing HPD to run your credit and do a background check.

How much is the 1 bedroom going to be for you? Is it a new building?

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Old 01-18-2015, 10:16 AM

27 posts, read 55,649 times
What order do they contact the preferences? Community, disability,municipal etc?

Old 01-18-2015, 04:19 PM

I honestly don't think they contact those applicants in any special order over anyone else. I wouldn't give the city employees to much credit for having an elaborate method when selecting their tenants.

I think everyone is lumped into the same bucket. However, next to the log number there is 2 letters which indicate if you have community board preference or disability. If your log number says: 369 GL it means general log and there's no preference. CB means community board and so on. So if there's 500 people getting called in, the only thing that distinguishes them is the 2 letter code. I'm sure CB and city employees will have low log numbers to gurantee them a unit. Lotteries love city employees.

Old 01-22-2015, 03:58 PM

15 posts, read 38,837 times
@q41apartments -- your information is so helpful, so thank you for taking the time to share your insight with this group. I've read through many of your posts and you've answered most of my questions about the overall process.

I am wondering how you knew what your lottery number was? Is the "log #" listed next to my application on the NYC Housing Connect website synonymous with my "lottery #"? I applied for middle income housing at Hunters Point South and have a very low "log #" (under 250), but have been trying to track down what this means for the past week or so to no avail. Thank you.

Old 01-22-2015, 04:27 PM

You're welcome.

250 is a good number. HPS said they'd be reaching out to applicants in Q1 which I'm guessing will be next month. I Doubt They'll Call you. I'm sure everything will be old fashioned traditional mail and your log number will be listed on the bottom of the postcard and any abbreviations will be included as well such a CB or GL.

Are you low or middle income?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery