Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2008, 10:35 AM

238 posts, read 617,351 times

Advertisements

hi, planning my next trip up and heard something about 'restaurant week' where many of the restaurants provide (hefty) discounts so one can try a place that maybe you couldn't afford otherwise.

can anyone provide any details on this restaurant week? when is it? restaurants that i should try, etc., etc.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 10:50 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,003,562 times
Restaurants week is usually twice a week. The best deals I have found is something called a "crave case"...a boatload of delicious miniburgers at a huge Castle like resturant called White Castle, and you can also get some delicious and cheap chicken wings at New Orleans type resturant called Popeyes.

That is if you can get reservations....make sure you get them early.

Old 01-03-2008, 01:00 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
drunk off that mott haven punch

Old 01-03-2008, 01:08 PM

Lol..I could not resist! You should try some...it makes all those housing projects just disappear!

Old 01-03-2008, 01:11 PM

you can get the white castle miniburgers in the grocery stores. pls. don't be offended, but for this particular trip up, i was thinking about the higher end restr. that i wouldn't dare think about stepping foot in under normal circumstances. i read something about this rest. week online, but now of course, i can't find it. varying stories, one in winter, one in spring. i think i also read at the end of january, beginning of february. this could all be old info. thought i'd post.

Old 01-03-2008, 01:17 PM

Yeah resturant week is actually really good..and for those that live in this city who are not paying astronomical rents to say that they live in the uber trendy neighborhood of the day....they can actualyl go out and enjoy the restaurant week. I am sure if you google it then you can get more info.

For the best places, you would be wise to skip dinner and just go for lunch..it is easier to get a reservation and the places are not so insanely packed...you will enjoy your experience so much more.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:30 PM

any suggestions on nice places? location shouldn't be a problem. i can search if they'll offer a lunch menu.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:33 PM

68 posts, read 449,746 times
NYC Restaurant Week takes place for 2 weeks (no Sat or Sun) twice a year. It seems like this year, the price for a prix-fixe lunch is $24.07 and $35 for dinner. They're usually 3 courses and the price does not include any drinks. Many of the higher-end restaurants participate in this, however, do not expect the top, top restaurants to participate here.

Usually, the better restaurants only offer lunch because they have no problems filling tables for dinner even on weeknights. Reservations are a must and should be made well in advance to make sure you get seated at a decent hour. It looks like most of these will take reservations online through Opentable.com. Here's the link nycvisit.com - NYC Restaurant Week Winter 2008â„¢

In my opinion, most restaurants tend to skimp on the quality and portions during restaurant week, as the prices are drastically reduced from their normal rates. Even at the same restaurant, the items ordered from the restaurant week menu was significantly worse than that ordered from the regular menu. Lunches are generally a better value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City