Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 08:48 AM

881 posts, read 615,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Same here. Eric was a 38 year old man with 30+ arrest. With 30 arrest under his belt since 1980 on charges such as assault, resisting arrest, and grand larceny he should have a high IQ when dealing with cops and potential arrest. Nowadays people are lacking self responsibility and awareness. This man had 6 kids (the recent one being a 3 month old baby) and he was selling loose cigs, was in bad health, etc. One of his baby mamas called him lazy in regards to why he can't keep a steady job. They told him he was under arrest and he resisted with his bad health. Again after 30 arrest you should know the deal.
Yeah, it's outrageous how all these black neurosurgeons are getting shot and choked!

I mean black particle physicists...

I mean, black geologists...

I mean, black medical researchers...

Wait, wait, hol' up, I mean black full-bird colonels...

No, I meant black aerospace engineers...

Or was it black graphene researchers...

Or black 3-D printer technicians...

SMD @ the ghetto lotto....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
The RoboCop also gets a weapon right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMB7p14oP0M
Ow, my eyes!!

No, no weapons needed, actually -- that's the beauty of a RoboCop; it's a machine, already very strong and fast and durable, no need for fireworks!

Seriously, it'll be a great future...by then there will be an even bigger black middle class anyway so I fully expect the "racist cops" meme to fall away in the face of machines that simply capture suspects instead of having to fight them first.

Old 12-29-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruready4Bklyn View Post
Never really did, seemed like they were never around when you needed them and when you needed them they just drove by like they didn't see stuff going down (like getting robbed by other kids in middle school through HS they didn't do shttt).
But they sure like ruffing up kids that where actually trying to do the right thing like going to school...
Agree on the former but not the latter -- it's a rare A-student who gets roughed up by cops (last I remember was from the '80s, and it was a Chinese kid shot dead [I remember this 'cause the Chinese had a rare protest over it that made the news]).

Quote:
I began despising NYPD when I got arrested for mistakenly braking a window with snowballs, got handcuffed got put face down on the sidewalk and they thought it was funny to throw hard ice at my friends and I while handcuffed. Oh such tough guys police are....mind you we were just teenagers (15-16), while telling me to go back to my country and other racist nonsense.
Oh, I've seen "theatrical nonsense" from cops, too -- though they tend to be a bit "quieter" nowadays than during the '80s.

The fact of the matter is that the typical lawyer, judge, cop, teacher, fireman, doctor, accountant, nurse, librarian, or just about any worker in any other line of work...sucks. 'Cause they really don't even want to be there in the first place, oftentimes.

That's why I'm so excited about robots and General Artificial Intelligence.

Quote:
Got tons more stories (like mistakenly getting beat-up by police, getting arrested, than them realizing they got the wrong people, and getting let out through the back of central booking with them getting rid of all record-evidence that I was even there).
But after all these I years I found my zen and felt I didn't hate them, just despise that organization..
I gotta wonder, though...how the heck did you wind up in their maws so often -- just "going to school," too, as you claim???

Absolutely no doubt many if not most cops just shouldn't be on the job at all but it's not like they pull you out of the library or just show up at your job to handcuff you...what happened??

BTW, I got arrested for riding my bike on the sidewalk (it's hot in the summertime and I'm trying to stay in the shade; I ride slower than people jog but that doesn't count for anything) and not responding to the summons for the previous occasion of my riding my bike on the sidewalk (usually it's just tossed by the judge without my showing up or even answering the mailed charge at all but evidently not so this time) so I've had some experience with this, too....

Old 12-29-2017, 09:08 AM

3,614 posts, read 1,737,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
I don't know. I grew up in Detroit when stuff that made the Garner ordeal look mild happened on a regular basis. Watch the film "Detroit" by Kathryn Bigelow, written by Mark Boal. This is the racism I ran away from as a WHITE woman. I cried throughout the film. Because it's all true and it's f*cking painful. Black men getting shot wasn't an anomaly, it was the norm. It was a war within the streets and, ultimately, it destroyed the city I was born in. We never made peace, the whites and the blacks of Detroit. And the dysfunction, racism, and chaos carry on into the current day on a level of violence that makes NYC seem soft as a native being honest about it all.
That's why NY and the NYPD are such an easy target. The incidents that happen here are relatively few and far in between and when they do happen the rabble rousers get a lot of leeway from the city and the community. You never see the neighborhoods riot like we did in Ferguson or Baltimore. Go to Detriot or Chicago and try to protest and the natives will go buck wild.

Old 12-29-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
That's why NY and the NYPD are such an easy target. The incidents that happen here are relatively few and far in between and when they do happen the rabble rousers get a lot of leeway from the city and the community. You never see the neighborhoods riot like we did in Ferguson or Baltimore. Go to Detriot or Chicago and try to protest and the natives will go buck wild.
Well, to play devil's advocate:

It may very well be that the "conciliatory" stance adopted by the city has resulted in there being no Ferguson or Baltimore here.

I went to a majority-black high school, Hillcrest, in Jamaica, Queens, and there was some incident or other involving a black student and a white teacher (of course!)...now I really wasn't "red-pilled" back then though of course it was something in the air and I kind of sensed it unconsciously but still couldn't fathom why a white friend of mine wanted to "blow up the school" -- and yet I did somehow understand how unusual it was when the black student government actively resisted outsider attempts to blow that incident up...flyers were put out by the black student government specifically denouncing "outsiders" for trying to manufacture a crisis and urging everyone to resist calls for walkouts, sit-ins, and other protest-theatrics....

I remember when black nationalist flags were being waved outside school grounds...so it was that serious -- and yet nothing ever came of it because of what I would call a "conciliatory" stance between school administrators (most of whom were white Jewish and white hispanic) and the 60% black student body (and 90% black student government)....

So that's my feel-good story for this holiday season.

So anyway, it could also be (and I actually believe this to be the main reason) that NYC is much too diverse -- meaning, not simply black and white -- for there to be the kind of black nonsense we see elsewhere...here, it's blacks against Jews, blacks against Koreans, blacks against Mexicans even -- in addition to the ol' blacks vs. whites dynamic....

Plus, yeah, having the largest police department in the country -- that dwarfs even all of Australia's armed forces! -- helps, too...!

Old 12-29-2017, 09:45 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,263,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomelessLoser View Post
Agree on the former but not the latter -- it's a rare A-student who gets roughed up by cops (last I remember was from the '80s, and it was a Chinese kid shot dead [I remember this 'cause the Chinese had a rare protest over it that made the news]).

Oh, I've seen "theatrical nonsense" from cops, too -- though they tend to be a bit "quieter" nowadays than during the '80s.

The fact of the matter is that the typical lawyer, judge, cop, teacher, fireman, doctor, accountant, nurse, librarian, or just about any worker in any other line of work...sucks. 'Cause they really don't even want to be there in the first place, oftentimes.

That's why I'm so excited about robots and General Artificial Intelligence.

I gotta wonder, though...how the heck did you wind up in their maws so often -- just "going to school," too, as you claim???

Absolutely no doubt many if not most cops just shouldn't be on the job at all but it's not like they pull you out of the library or just show up at your job to handcuff you...what happened??

BTW, I got arrested for riding my bike on the sidewalk (it's hot in the summertime and I'm trying to stay in the shade; I ride slower than people jog but that doesn't count for anything) and not responding to the summons for the previous occasion of my riding my bike on the sidewalk (usually it's just tossed by the judge without my showing up or even answering the mailed charge at all but evidently not so this time) so I've had some experience with this, too....
I mean more like if you come from a certain neighborhood then you are automatically treated as a criminal, how would a cop know you if you are an A student from a whole group of minorities?

This is recent where our neighbor(white) felt bad because all these preteens were being scolded on the playground for throwing water balloons by the police, while her kids(white) were doing the same thing, they didn't say anything to them or even acknowledged them as doing something wrong. I know this seems very low level but she said she finally understood the bias she always heard on the news....

Kids or teens do all types of shenanigans, even minor offenses and guess what happens in the suburbs, the police scold them they even take them to their parents and get a slap on the wrist.

I knew a smart teen, went to Brooklyn tech, did something stupid like joy riding with his friends in a stolen car. He almost got a record, but his parents, they are teachers...did everything they could and finally only got a slap on the wrist, with no criminal record (so he got to go to college...become a professional etc.). But the Eric Garners' of the world don't have that luxury for example. Not making excuses just seems unfair at a social economic level. What if I unfairly got a record, I definitely wouldn't be were I was now...

Last edited by Ruready4Bklyn; 12-29-2017 at 10:00 AM..

Old 12-29-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
[color=black][font=Verdana]I mean more like if you come from a certain neighborhood then you are automatically treated as a criminal, how would a cop know you if you are an A student from a whole group of minorities?
No, what I'm wondering about is the specific set of circumstances involved -- sounds like you may have been hanging out with the proverbial wrong crowd so thus the cops treated y'all the same...as for the "if you come from a certain neighborhood"...well...that's just how it is, nothing to do with NYPD or even cops in general -- in De Sica's classic The Bicycle Thief (SPOILER ALERT), the thief protests his innocence to his fellow Roman low-lifes by making the same exact claim despite being caught red-handed....

I can certainly concede this point so don't think I'm trying to argue with you about your experiences; I'm just curious if there was any explanation other than "racism" since it's such a one-size-fits-all get-out-of-jail card now that I am skeptical whenever it's brought up.

Quote:
This is recent where our neighbor(white) felt bad because all these preteens were being scolded on the playground for throwing water balloons by the police, while her kids(white) were doing the same thing, they didn't say anything to them or even acknowledged them as doing something wrong. I know this seems very low level but she said she finally understood the bias she always heard on the news....
I suppose that's possible that the cops were racist but it's also possible that they felt that if they told one group, it's understood to go for all groups...or didn't think that the water balloon games by the other kids were as dangerous or as disruptive (like maybe someone called about noise and these black kids were screaming their heads off).

Again, not to argue with you so I can certainly concede the point; I was just feeling that other explanations are possible since I know it's so fashionable to attribute everything to racism (except for reverse racism/discrimination, of which I can tell you there definitely is a lot of in the shelter system!).

Quote:
Kids or teens do all types of shenanigans, even minor offenses and guess what happens in the suburbs, the police scold them they even take them to their parents and get a slap on the wrist.
Well, just so you know, they have a lot less to deal with out in the 'burbs so there's more time for "Officer Friendly" response patterns....

Quote:
I knew a smart teen, went to Brooklyn tech,
LOL -- just so you know, Brooklyn Tech isn't considered "smart"...it's like what a normal NYC public high school should be!

Quote:
did something stupid like joy riding with his friends in a stolen car. He almost got a record, but his parents, they are teachers...did everything they could and finally only got a slap on the wrist, with no criminal record (so he got to go to college become a professional etc.). But the Eric Garners' of the world don't have that luxury for example. Not making excuses just seems unfair at a social economic level. What if I unfairly got a record, I definitely wouldn't be were I was now...
I believe you can always somehow request for that record to be sealed or even expunged...but regarding Eric Garner: I really don't think he deserves the incredible amount of sympathy he's received -- it's a tragedy that he didn't want to do more with himself than help make kids with no futures, and yes a tragedy that we all live in a highly unfair system but at the end of the day, he's still responsible for his own life...and death.

Old 12-29-2017, 10:14 AM

19,053 posts, read 13,968,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post
NYPD pigs killed her in the hospital
Pure awesome. People like this actually walk among us. This is why the 2nd is necessary. Good people should not be helpless against the horde.

Old 12-29-2017, 11:22 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,263,152 times
Quote:
No, what I'm wondering about is the specific set of circumstances involved -- sounds like you may have been hanging out with the proverbial wrong crowd so thus the cops treated y'all the same...as for the "if you come from a certain neighborhood"...well...that's just how it is, nothing to do with NYPD or even cops in general -- in De Sica's classic The Bicycle Thief (SPOILER ALERT), the thief protests his innocence to his fellow Roman low-lifes by making the same exact claim despite being caught red-handed....

I can certainly concede this point so don't think I'm trying to argue with you about your experiences; I'm just curious if there was any explanation other than "racism" since it's such a one-size-fits-all get-out-of-jail card now that I am skeptical whenever it's brought up.

I suppose that's possible that the cops were racist but it's also possible that they felt that if they told one group, it's understood to go for all groups...or didn't think that the water balloon games by the other kids were as dangerous or as disruptive (like maybe someone called about noise and these black kids were screaming their heads off).

Again, not to argue with you so I can certainly concede the point; I was just feeling that other explanations are possible since I know it's so fashionable to attribute everything to racism (except for reverse racism/discrimination, of which I can tell you there definitely is a lot of in the shelter system!).

Well, just so you know, they have a lot less to deal with out in the 'burbs so there's more time for "Officer Friendly" response patterns....

LOL -- just so you know, Brooklyn Tech isn't considered "smart"...it's like what a normal NYC public high school should be!

I believe you can always somehow request for that record to be sealed or even expunged...but regarding Eric Garner: I really don't think he deserves the incredible amount of sympathy he's received -- it's a tragedy that he didn't want to do more with himself than help make kids with no futures, and yes a tragedy that we all live in a highly unfair system but at the end of the day, he's still responsible for his own life...and death.
Yes I am Hispanic hanging out with black kids, in a predominantly white neighborhood (Park Slope). So they get a call of a break in.
But what is really going on is teens throwing snow balls at each other in the street and accidentally a window is broken. So that gives them a pass to treat us as like criminals, because their whole career all criminals they have dealt with are minorities? Ok so we are handcuffed on the down on the sidewalk, maybe that is protocol. But was throwing snow/ice at us for fun, telling me in particular to go back to my country, is that protocol?

Why is it that growing up if you called the police they would show up 3 hours later or never showed up in our side of the neighborhood, was I expecting to much? I know with that example with my neighbor I can only go by what she said, but it appeared to me that it was all the same, all kids where all playing with water balloons, only the black kids were scolded, she felt bad.

I myself have witnessed persons (minorities) get a summons for drinking(alcohol) while the non-minority group on that same corner got ignored(around a college), and they non-minority group were horrified themselves because they realized what just occurred….
Or like going into a restaurant(in NYC) with a whole bunch of black kids and they give you the bill after you order because they think you are going to bail out on the bill and not pay, is it because some other black kids did it before and they were being precautious, but isn’t that being a bit racist or should I not be offended by it? (I expect this outside NY, some place like lets say West Stockbridge, MA where you know all of sudden they don't serve beer in a bar to our kind, yes this still happens).

Anyways I can go on forever and I have to get back to work.. he he. I don't really like to go on to too many details on here because people seem unreasonable on these boards but you seem very reasonable, thanks for hearing me out even if you don't agree, and you don't have too.
I am definitely one of those that do not like to throw therace-card around and I am also skeptical when others do, so I admit I am biased just because of my history with the NYPD but have also had so many instances of it.

Yeah Brooklyn Tech is like a normal school in the burbs, isn't that sad....

Last edited by Ruready4Bklyn; 12-29-2017 at 12:41 PM..

Old 12-29-2017, 11:26 AM

2,678 posts, read 1,701,513 times
Quote:
Yeah, it's outrageous how all these black neurosurgeons are getting shot and choked!

I mean black particle physicists...

I mean, black geologists...

I mean, black medical researchers...

Wait, wait, hol' up, I mean black full-bird colonels...

No, I meant black aerospace engineers...

Or was it black graphene researchers...

Or black 3-D printer technicians...

SMD @ the ghetto lotto....
The police were called on a highly educated black Harvard professor, who was simply emtering his home. Someone thought he was breaking in when he was searching for his keys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City