Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 02:58 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
My son attended an asian-heavy (~90%) school for a year and we noticed how his motivation of going to school went downhill during that period so we changed him to a more diverse/balanced school and now he is all happy again. I have noticed that many kids of fresh Asian immigrant families in nyc are raised to 1) study and 2) play computer/electronic games. It is another type of bad parenting that is masked under high test scores. Many asian parents prefer to spend money to have their children taken care of instead of spending time "growing" with their children. As a matter of fact, most of them know little or spend little time learning about child education except high test scores...... therefore many of asian kids tend to be socially behind their peers despite higher sat scores on average. It is a drawback of the culture but in this tech-driven world, as long as you know how to code and operate machines, your employer does not care how socially incompetent you are.
I agree that it's very bad parenting. The college educated coworkers I know do much more than that. They send their kids to horse back riding lessons, summer camps, tennis/lacross games, summer trips to volunteer in Africa, piano lessons you name it. But as you said those are mainly new immigrants, I'm sure the second generation with money will kick it up a notch. In addition most of those immigrants really have no knowledge that they can provide to benefit their kids, most of them are just minimum wages workers and the only meaningful things they can teach their kids is how to fry noodles if that's worth anything at all. College educated parents teach their kids to read and read well and how to speak up for yourself and physically confront people if necessary instead of just learning all the math. If they were second generation Asians I'm sure SandyJet would have gotten his ass kicked. So those parents are certainly not the ideal parents one would want. But hey you can't choose your parents and I feel sorry for those kids.

Last edited by bumblebyz; 01-15-2015 at 03:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 03:11 PM

5,123 posts, read 4,972,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
I agree that it's very bad parenting. The college educated coworkers I know do much more than that. They send their kids to horse back riding lessons, summer camps, tennis/lacross games, summer trips to volunteer in Africa, piano lessons you name it. But as you said those are mainly new immigrants, I'm sure the second generation with money will kick it up a notch. In addition most of those immigrants really have no knowledge that they can provide to benefit their kids, most of them are just minimum wages workers and the only meaningful things they can teach their kids is how to fry noodles if that's worth anything at all. College education parents teach their kids to read and read well and how to speak up for yourself and physically confront people if necessary instead of just learning all the math. If they were second generation Asians I'm sure SandyJet would have gotten his ass kicked. So those parents are certainly not the ideal parents one would want. But hey you can't choose your parents and I feel sorry for those kids.
Based on my estimate, kids from newly arrived/uneducated asian parents in nyc way outnumber 2nd gen asian kids. i doubt that many 2nd gen aisan kids end up in schools like baruch.

Old 01-15-2015, 03:15 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,331,224 times
Quote:
My son attended an asian-heavy (~90%) school for a year and we noticed how his motivation of going to school went downhill during that period so we changed him to a more diverse/balanced school and now he is all happy again. I have noticed that many kids of fresh Asian immigrant families in nyc are raised to 1) study and 2) play computer/electronic games. It is another type of bad parenting that is masked under high test scores. Many asian parents prefer to spend money to have their children taken care of instead of spending time "growing" with their children. As a matter of fact, most of them know little or spend little time learning about child education except high test scores...... therefore many of asian kids tend to be socially behind their peers despite higher sat scores on average. It is a drawback of the culture but in this tech-driven world, as long as you know how to code and operate machines, your employer does not care how socially incompetent you are.
There are only so many coding jobs. Tech companies have need for people with social skills! I work in a tech company and the majority of the company does not code. Business development, product management, sales, client service, account management, legal, these are all well paid roles that are not reliant on the ability to write a program. A director or VP of sales will make $200k-$300k at many of these tech companies. Even "junior" sellers will make (low) six figures.

Old 01-15-2015, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Based on my estimate, kids from newly arrived/uneducated asian parents in nyc way outnumber 2nd gen asian kids. i doubt that many 2nd gen aisan kids end up in schools like baruch.
You are right about that. As much as Baruch has the highest standards within the CUNY system it's still not all that and is relatively easy to get in. 85-90 average, 80s on regents, average score on SATs and you should be in. That's why I think the article is BS. What was the kid's regents scores and were his SATs average or way way below average. Just because your teacher gives you a 90 in class for solving the hardest math question on the exam of x+5=0 doesn't mean that you are any good at all.

Old 01-15-2015, 03:37 PM

5,123 posts, read 4,972,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
There are only so many coding jobs. Tech companies have need for people with social skills! I work in a tech company and the majority of the company does not code. Business development, product management, sales, client service, account management, legal, these are all well paid roles that are not reliant on the ability to write a program. A director or VP of sales will make $200k-$300k at many of these tech companies. Even "junior" sellers will make (low) six figures.
Isn't it fantastic that at least the job market is still respecting the law of diversity so that all talented diverse individuals can find posts that suit their interest/talent the best? ...maybe those nerdy antisocial asians are destined to the coding prisons where they were guided towards since young...

Old 01-15-2015, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Isn't it fantastic that at least the job market is still respecting the law of diversity so that all talented diverse individuals can find posts that suit their interest/talent the best? ...maybe those nerdy antisocial asians are destined to the coding prisons where they were guided towards since young...
Diverse? I'm guessing most people outside of HR and accounts payable whom are usually minorities, they are either white or Asian. Im sure you've seen all those diversity reports of tech companies on the news.The world is very realistic. People either hire you because they like you (and this is where race/gender/non work related preference comes into play) or need you. If anything I'd rather be needed by an employer than liked by a mid level manager. For the 95% of the jobs in the real world no one is that important that they are needed due to the fact that any average Joe being able to do them. In that sense top schools are overrated, but they help with job prospects because the elites of society likes being associated with people from elite institutions.

Last edited by bumblebyz; 01-15-2015 at 04:12 PM..

Old 01-15-2015, 04:12 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Screw Valedictorian. I want to be a Rhodes Scholar.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 01-15-2015 at 04:42 PM..

Old 01-15-2015, 04:48 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,866,342 times
Quote:
Who in their right mind will like to pay $200k+ for going to NYU
Seeking Arrangement sugar babies.

Old 01-15-2015, 05:26 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,773,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Screw Valedictorian. I want to be a Rhodes Scholar.

I like it. Think big.

Old 01-15-2015, 05:30 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,752,106 times
I worked in HR for a large "prestigious" NYC company and the fact was that CUNY grads got their resumes placed well under those with Columbia or NYU on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City