Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 07:02 AM

364 posts, read 708,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Guy View Post
i'd rather see people using that space. yes. all you show is a generic building. a beautiful residence would be great. people would use that daily and then some. i also see businesses operating, kids playing in a yard, lots of activity of all kinds happening instead of bones underground with resumes up top. like i said, if these people really are dying to be remembered after death, they can do so in useless real estate locations in the middle of nowhere. just don't do it in prime real estate areas. it is at this point that the box of bones and skulls need to show respect for actual people.
I am an atheist so I don't know much about any religion... but according to some religions, once a person passes away, he/she will either go to heaven or hell, right? (Or reincarnate?) So just like what the OP said, the cemetery serves no purpose other than the fact that it gives family members a place to mourn the decease. But do you really need this space? Can't you just do it at home? Or wherever/whenever you think of them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2015, 08:53 AM

79 posts, read 84,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
You understand that the dead have no feelings, right?

It's a paradox that cemeteries are exclusively for the living. There is no place in NYC for massive cemeteries. If you want your decomposed body to rest in NYC, you should have to be cremated instead of permanently stealing another 4' x 10' plot of land away from future generations

LOL! I can't believe I'm about to argue this but here it goes for the less fortunate of us who can't understand the process of the after life. First we will start with tradition. Since the beginning of man there has been a tradition to bury your loved ones in a kindly manner, regardless of how much space they take up. There are memorials set up throughout the world for people's lives that have been sacrificed for the well being of others. Such as the Holocaust memorial, along with other battlegrounds of the american people...

Secondly let's get to respect. These people have shaped and uniformed the culture of society for the people that we are today. No one has the right to decide that their not good enough for a 4' x 10' plot of land. My question to you is what makes you think that you or anybody else is good enough to inhabit this land? Just because the fact that your alive is sufficient? NOPE! Most of these people have accomplished more in their time being alive than the people who will fight for their place of where they lay when they are dead.

Whoever argues this is naive and selfish. If you were doing so well in the first place then that little tiny plot of land where ones ancestors lay should no bother you in the least. Maybe the real thing here is your paradox that you or anyone else for that matter are entitled to any more space than the dead. These people lived their lives for this country and they should be able to take up as much space as they want. Especially considering the fact that they paid for it.

Thank you! *Drops Mic*

Old 09-02-2015, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanniebaby7 View Post
Agree with your post...💀...💀.
Thank you, you'll love my last one on this thread if that's the case.

Old 09-02-2015, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianNYC92 View Post
I am an atheist so I don't know much about any religion... but according to some religions, once a person passes away, he/she will either go to heaven or hell, right? (Or reincarnate?) So just like what the OP said, the cemetery serves no purpose other than the fact that it gives family members a place to mourn the decease. But do you really need this space? Can't you just do it at home? Or wherever/whenever you think of them?
You must be extremely young, naive, or have never experienced the death of a loved one to agree with the OP. Either way we forgive you.

Old 09-02-2015, 09:09 AM

1,369 posts, read 1,253,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanviewer View Post
LOL! I can't believe I'm about to argue this but here it goes for the less fortunate of us who can't understand the process of the after life. First we will start with tradition. Since the beginning of man there has been a tradition to bury your loved ones in a kindly manner, regardless of how much space they take up. There are memorials set up throughout the world for people's lives that have been sacrificed for the well being of others. Such as the Holocaust memorial, along with other battlegrounds of the american people...

Secondly let's get to respect. These people have shaped and uniformed the culture of society for the people that we are today. No one has the right to decide that their not good enough for a 4' x 10' plot of land. My question to you is what makes you think that you or anybody else is good enough to inhabit this land? Just because the fact that your alive is sufficient? NOPE! Most of these people have accomplished more in their time being alive than the people who will fight for their place of where they lay when they are dead.

Whoever argues this is naive and selfish. If you were doing so well in the first place then that little tiny plot of land where ones ancestors lay should no bother you in the least. Maybe the real thing here is your paradox that you or anyone else for that matter are entitled to any more space than the dead. These people lived their lives for this country and they should be able to take up as much space as they want. Especially considering the fact that they paid for it.

Thank you! *Drops Mic*
urbanviewer; I strongly agree with this post and respect what you're saying. Thank you...😇.

Old 09-02-2015, 01:31 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,714,563 times
Quote:

Thank you! *Drops Mic*
These corpses have no respect for the urban planning of the largest city in the world. There should be no allowance for graves in NYC in the tax code. All cemeteries should be taxed like any other property and if the estate doesn't have sufficient funds then the graves should be moved upstate.

Cities are for the living, not for the dead. These people did not "live[] their lives for this country", they lived their lives for themselves like everyone else. War heros and historical figures should have public memorials but everyone else should get cremated or be buried somewhere outside of the city.

Old 09-03-2015, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
These corpses have no respect for the urban planning of the largest city in the world. There should be no allowance for graves in NYC in the tax code. All cemeteries should be taxed like any other property and if the estate doesn't have sufficient funds then the graves should be moved upstate.

Cities are for the living, not for the dead. These people did not "live[] their lives for this country", they lived their lives for themselves like everyone else. War heros and historical figures should have public memorials but everyone else should get cremated or be buried somewhere outside of the city.
The urban planning is not and was never part of their concern. Their most likely buried in this cemetery because the nearby surrounding played a role in their life. Whatever the case may be they deserve that spot in the ground, as do so many others. Your view on this subject is very selfish and disrespectful. You have to learn to see the world for what it is, instead of one big property which you do not own anyways.

These people could have owned stores, sold homes, worked in offices, etc. No matter what their role was, considering it was in this country, they lived for it. Just because someone fought for this country doesn't make their life that much more significant than someone who didn't. I'm sorry but your big point here is property, and if that's the case maybe you should head upstate, or somewhere outside of the city.

Old 09-03-2015, 07:52 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,401,202 times
Go back where you came from and die since you don't respect nyc graveyards. Foh!

Old 09-03-2015, 08:35 AM

This man has no respect for anything apparently. There is nothing to address with him. Maybe he is young and will grow out of this stupidity one day.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:47 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,714,563 times
Quote:
This man has no respect for anything apparently. There is nothing to address with him. Maybe he is young and will grow out of this stupidity one day.
No actually, I'm just about 40 now and have been contemplating the meaning of life and death on a profound level since my teens. A resting place in the middle of a growing city does not give your life any measure of status or post-mortem longevity.

If you stroll though any of these cemeteries, especially the older ones, you will see row after row of graves that nobody knows anything about. No one will visit them or take the time to learn any iota about the life they lived. The families have faded and the graves go unvisited. I'm sure you are viewing the grave as a measure of comfort as some control of your mortality but the reality is that your soul, whatever that may be, is not in that cemetery.

What is there, is a huge block of land that can't be developed for affordable housing or parks, for business to employ struggling families, or for any productive use in society. Obviously I believe in property rights, but those plots of land should not be tax exempt and if they are not contributing to city tax rolls then they should be moved plain and simple for the benefit of the living
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City