Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 10:29 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
No actually, I'm just about 40 now and have been contemplating the meaning of life and death on a profound level since my teens. A resting place in the middle of a growing city does not give your life any measure of status or post-mortem longevity.

If you stroll though any of these cemeteries, especially the older ones, you will see row after row of graves that nobody knows anything about. No one will visit them or take the time to learn any iota about the life they lived. The families have faded and the graves go unvisited. I'm sure you are viewing the grave as a measure of comfort as some control of your mortality but the reality is that your soul, whatever that may be, is not in that cemetery.

What is there, is a huge block of land that can't be developed for affordable housing or parks, for business to employ struggling families, or for any productive use in society. Obviously I believe in property rights, but those plots of land should not be tax exempt and if they are not contributing to city tax rolls then they should be moved plain and simple for the benefit of the living

AND THAT FALLS UNDER THE CATAGORY OF TOUGH!!! TOO BAD!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 10:47 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,715,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
AND THAT FALLS UNDER THE CATAGORY OF TOUGH!!! TOO BAD!!
brilliant insight.

I'm not against cemeteries, mind you. I'm against lots of mega-cemeteries in the middle of the world's most important city

Old 09-03-2015, 11:03 AM

79 posts, read 84,721 times
Quote:
No actually, I'm just about 40 now and have been contemplating the meaning of life and death on a profound level since my teens. A resting place in the middle of a growing city does not give your life any measure of status or post-mortem longevity.

If you stroll though any of these cemeteries, especially the older ones, you will see row after row of graves that nobody knows anything about. No one will visit them or take the time to learn any iota about the life they lived. The families have faded and the graves go unvisited. I'm sure you are viewing the grave as a measure of comfort as some control of your mortality but the reality is that your soul, whatever that may be, is not in that cemetery.

What is there, is a huge block of land that can't be developed for affordable housing or parks, for business to employ struggling families, or for any productive use in society. Obviously I believe in property rights, but those plots of land should not be tax exempt and if they are not contributing to city tax rolls then they should be moved plain and simple for the benefit of the living
The benefit of the living will always coincide with the benefits that the dead have provided for us. Your claims will never make any reasonable sense because your are portraying the burial grounds of human life as "unused space" and implying it be turned into recreational parks and buildings.

The soul is not what is important to most people, what lies there is that person's body, their memories, their life. One day when you are nearing old age and contemplating you own burial I would like to know your thoughts on this topic. where in upstate would you go to be buried in the middle of some woods where no one an reach you without a 2 hour drive.

Old 09-03-2015, 11:05 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I absolutely love where I live. My father recently moved in with me and he takes pictures from the balcony every day. We see deer regularly. A few days ago I saw two 8 point bucks together.

I am sort of surrounded by cemetaries also, not just the one across from my house. The block behind me abuts another one and to my left is a decent parcel of woods. This area is a gem within an otherwise crappy city scenery-wise.
Graveyards are parks in a way. They should never be developed. If in the future everyone got cremated I would just say convert the graveyard to a park. But since people still get buried in them graveyards will not go ANYWHERE.

Old 09-03-2015, 11:20 AM

79 posts, read 84,721 times
I guess a small percentage of the population will never understand the essence of a graveyard.

Old 09-03-2015, 12:01 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,715,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Graveyards are parks in a way. They should never be developed. If in the future everyone got cremated I would just say convert the graveyard to a park. But since people still get buried in them graveyards will not go ANYWHERE.
In a way, yes, but I doubt kids would be able to play pick up stickball or flag football in the fields. I've also yet to see family picnics either with a barbeque and lawn games

Old 09-04-2015, 07:19 AM

1,369 posts, read 1,253,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanviewer View Post
This man has no respect for anything apparently. There is nothing to address with him. Maybe he is young and will grow out of this stupidity one day.
If he grows to be old...😱.

Old 09-04-2015, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
Go back where you came from and die since you don't respect nyc graveyards. Foh!
Agree with your post...🗽.

Old 09-04-2015, 07:33 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Quote:
brilliant insight.

I'm not against cemeteries, mind you. I'm against lots of mega-cemeteries in the middle of the world's most important city

not to get into my personal life, but my 3 sons and I have been visiting thier mothers grave for the last 24 years, you want to talk about getting rid of cemetaries, buddy you have come to the wrong person. I am appaulad and sickened by your way of thinking about graveyards.

You absolutely deserve no respect at all, as a human...............

Old 09-04-2015, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanviewer View Post
The urban planning is not and was never part of their concern. Their most likely buried in this cemetery because the nearby surrounding played a role in their life. Whatever the case may be they deserve that spot in the ground, as do so many others. Your view on this subject is very selfish and disrespectful. You have to learn to see the world for what it is, instead of one big property which you do not own anyways.

These people could have owned stores, sold homes, worked in offices, etc. No matter what their role was, considering it was in this country, they lived for it. Just because someone fought for this country doesn't make their life that much more significant than someone who didn't. I'm sorry but your big point here is property, and if that's the case maybe you should head upstate, or somewhere outside of the city.
I hear 👂ya! I also agree with your post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City