Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 09:24 AM

1,369 posts, read 1,255,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
what brand of thug-repellant do you wear and where did you get it from? Must be very effective.
ha!..👅...ha!..👅...ha!..👅.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
That's pathetic.
Strongly agree with you on that note!

Old 08-17-2015, 11:11 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,936,098 times
What is quite interesting here:

If it seems, given media coverage, that there are more crimes, this is entirely and solely the responsibility of de Blasio. He is cutting down on the police force, taking away their power, and this is resulting in a return to (what did someone say ?) the 1980s. Yeah. No other reason, just a different mayor.

BUT ... if there are more police around, suggesting that "someone" actually does care about public safety, that police presence is being marshaled, this is also being interpreted as an uptick in crime - read: de Blasio again.

I am far from a supporter of de Blasio, but given the amount of specious press spinning against him, I have begun to wonder if I was wrong. Perhaps he is doing things that some people don't like, and I doubt very much that these are people with whom I would have ethics, interests, anything in common.

At least two of the detractors are from New Jersey, do not even live here.

Methinks perchance the lady doth protest too much.

Something for me to think about. I always felt that de Blasio was far too weak, although he has made people panic - mostly real estate ...

Old 08-17-2015, 11:54 AM

142 posts, read 265,521 times
I've seen these kids a few times as I jog through the park each day/early evening. Always around the high 80s on the west side. I haven't seen them doing too much...always harassing girls that are out running or just walking. Scumbags, maybe...but not criminals (from what I've seen).

I can't say I see too much crime going on in the park, and I'm there most weekends and almost every weeknight, often running the upper loop, sometimes even after 8:00 pm. Maybe I'm due up for a mugging....

Old 08-17-2015, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstigs View Post
I've seen these kids a few times as I jog through the park each day/early evening. Always around the high 80s on the west side. I haven't seen them doing too much...always harassing girls that are out running or just walking. Scumbags, maybe...but not criminals (from what I've seen).

I can't say I see too much crime going on in the park, and I'm there most weekends and almost every weeknight, often running the upper loop, sometimes even after 8:00 pm. Maybe I'm due up for a mugging....
Oh is that right?

Old 08-17-2015, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Harassing someone is a criminal offense ! I am guessing you are not female.

Old 08-17-2015, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Harassing someone is a criminal offense ! I am guessing you are not female.
You're right, I wasn't clear in my post. There were a few posts following the OP that referenced violent crimes in the park (rapes, muggings, etc...) and references to CP of the 1970's. Just as littering is a crime, harassment is also a crime (of a more serious nature), as is rape (of an even more serious nature), and murder ('nuff said).

The point is, the kids that harass women (and men, for that matter) are scumbags. But if that's the worst of the crime, we're in better shape than we were 20 years ago. Still room for improvement, but better than we were.

I also pointed out that I'm usually in the park after dark and other hours, but have yet to witness or experience "serious" crime. Maybe I'm lucky, or maybe I'm due up for something. Both?

As an FYI, I think DeBlasio is doing a terrible job in the city, I'm just mentioning my own observations in the park to contribute to the conversation.

Old 08-17-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanniebaby7 View Post
Oh is that right?
Uh...yes?

Old 08-17-2015, 12:46 PM

Quote:

As an FYI, I think DeBlasio is doing a terrible job in the city, I'm just mentioning my own observations in the park to contribute to the conversation.
As did I, or I was at least neutral and sometimes wishing we had someone who was really tough.

I am beginning to see that he bothers many people who have profiteering motives, though, and it made me wonder if he is doing more than I had thought.

We don't need the money, so to speak, but I do care about the people who do.
Perhaps we should ask: Doing what and for whom ?

Old 08-17-2015, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
As did I, or I was at least neutral and sometimes wishing we had someone who was really tough.

I am beginning to see that he bothers many people who have profiteering motives, though, and it made me wonder if he is doing more than I had thought.

We don't need the money, so to speak, but I do care about the people who do.
Perhaps we should ask: Doing what and for whom ?
Agree with your post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: