Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 11:55 PM

3 posts, read 7,803 times

Advertisements

Can I get some more information about this neighborhood? This neighborhood seems to be one of the last safe neighborhoods with affordable housing, which is why my mother is looking into this neighborhood. How are the people? Would my family and I fit in? We are Asian Americans (Chinese) and this neighborhood seems to be predominately white. Also, are the neighborhoods bordering Marine Park from the North and East safe? I know Midwood and Sheepshead Bay from the West are good neighborhoods but how about the area north of Flatlands Avenue and east of Flatbush Avenue? Is it safe to live close to the park or rather further? Please let me know more, thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 06:05 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,355,014 times
It is mostly white though I think you would be fine. Most of the neighborhood is pretty safe, IMO.

It has a very suburban feel and it feels far from most things---unless you're not too far from Flatbush. It's a bit of a hike if you need to travel into the city.

Old 09-03-2015, 06:37 AM

432 posts, read 551,674 times
Safety wise it's fine, not much going on there and limited transit options.

Old 09-03-2015, 06:44 AM

782 posts, read 858,860 times
Marine Park is a great area. It is largely white, but you would be far from the only Asian family in the area, particularly if you're closer to the Sheepshead Bay border. Marine Park really isn't an insular community or anything.

The area north and east is Flatlands, which is typically regarded as safe. The part of Flatlands that borders Marine Park to the East is the best part of Flatlands, its really quiet and residential. Further north where Flatlands borders East Flatbush, it gets rougher but still not unsafe by any means.

As edubz mentioned, transit is lacking. No walkable train stations. You'd need to take one of the few buses to either Ave U or Kingshighway on the Q line. You'd be better off if you drive.

Last edited by funcrusher3000; 09-03-2015 at 06:53 AM..

Old 09-03-2015, 07:07 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,689,104 times
Teens Robbed At Gunpoint In Marine Park - Sheepshead Bay News Site, http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/the...ntry-1.1705522
Just for Fun, a Pack of Hundreds of Wild Teens Destroy a Shopping Mall | The Daily Sheeple
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_Park_Race_Attack
Racist attack by 30 blacks on 4 white girls | Elite Trader

Good area but "Outside Savages" are definitely there. Could you imagine if that was your kid getting a loaded gun pointed at his/her head? SMH

Old 09-03-2015, 07:50 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,128 times
First link was about a horrible incident that happened over ten years ago - "Marine Park is a quiet middle class neighborhood in Brooklyn, NY.
However, in the afternoon of March 30, 2005 it became a scene of one of the most brutal racist attacks.

According to New York Daily News, "It was as plain as black and white. It was a hate crime. When 30 black teenagers from Marine Park Middle School, most of them girls, chased five white girls from St. Edmund's off a Marine Park basketball court and across a Brooklyn street”punching, kicking, slapping, pulling hair and screaming, honky *******, black power and white crackers” it was a racial attack. It was about hate."

Police officers who responded to the scene on March 30, at approximately 4 p.m., arrested five of the attacking teenagers. They were charged with simple assault."

Chalk it up to ignorance that was still very present 10 years ago. Not so much now.

Second link occurred in Mill Basin not in Marine Park. It also happened in 2013.

Third Link was a Wikipedia article about the first link which again occurred over ten years ago.

Fourth link is the only one that occurred in Marine Park proper this year. Here's the main part of the article: "The victims, who range in age from 15 to 18 years old, were hanging out in the park around 10:40pm when they were approached by three black men, one armed with a gun, who demanded the teens hand over their belongings, according to the NYPD. The suspects fled with two iPhones, a debit card, identification and an undetermined amount of money, police say."

"Young kids hanging out late at a park find trouble" should be the title. Additionally, seeing as how Norwoodboy had to look for incidents in neighboring areas as well as links from over a decade ago to discuss the "savages" that apparently run rampant in the area, I'm assuming there are no other scary crime stories for the year...

@ Norwood, I know you were probably hoping the scary headlines would be enough and nobody would care to open up the links. I'll make sure the next time someone asks about your neighborhood to bring up the mafia incidents of the 70s as a reason why they shouldn't move into the neighborhood. It's clearly still relevant...

Last edited by anon1; 09-03-2015 at 08:39 AM..

Old 09-03-2015, 08:12 AM

There are scattered incidents of crime in absolutely every 'safe' neighborhood.

Hell, when I lived in the very nice part of Bay Ridge (80s by Shore), there was a fatal stabbing in a building on my block.

Marine Park is most definitely very safe.

::Waits for someone to post articles about kids rioting in Kings Plaza::

Old 09-03-2015, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
First link was about a horrible incident that happened over ten years ago - "Marine Park is a quiet middle class neighborhood in Brooklyn, NY.
However, in the afternoon of March 30, 2005 it became a scene of one of the most brutal racist attacks.

According to New York Daily News, "It was as plain as black and white. It was a hate crime. When 30 black teenagers from Marine Park Middle School, most of them girls, chased five white girls from St. Edmund's off a Marine Park basketball court and across a Brooklyn street”punching, kicking, slapping, pulling hair and screaming, honky *******, black power and white crackers” it was a racial attack. It was about hate."

Police officers who responded to the scene on March 30, at approximately 4 p.m., arrested five of the attacking teenagers. They were charged with simple assault."

Chalk it up to ignorance that was still very present 10 years ago. Not so much now.

Second link occurred in Mill Basin not in Marine Park. It also happened in 2013.

Third Link was a Wikipedia article about the first link which again occurred over ten years ago.

Fourth link is the only one that occurred in Marine Park proper this year. Here's the main part of the article: "The victims, who range in age from 15 to 18 years old, were hanging out in the park around 10:40pm when they were approached by three black men, one armed with a gun, who demanded the teens hand over their belongings, according to the NYPD. The suspects fled with two iPhones, a debit card, identification and an undetermined amount of money, police say."

"Young kids hanging out late at a park find trouble" should be the title. Additionally, seeing as how Norwoodboy had to look for incidents in neighboring areas as well as links from over a decade ago to discuss the "savages" that apparently run rampant in the area, I'm assuming there are no other scary crime stories for the year...

@ Norwood, I know you were probably hoping the scary headlines would be enough and nobody would care to open up the links. I'll make sure the next time someone asks about your neighborhood to bring up the mafia incidents of the 70s as a reason why they shouldn't move into the neighborhood. It's clearly still relevant...
Your 100% wrong. Look at where the incidents happen then tell me if it was Marine Park
Smash-and-grab, armed robbery at Marine Park mall
THE SHACK Updated: Wednesday, February 12, 2014, 2:29 PM ======= LOOK at DATE.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kings_Plaza

Every incident there happen in Marine Park. I personally have friends there and frequent places there. I hear all the scuttlebutt about the area.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:46 AM

Kings Plaza is a mall, not a neighborhood

Old 09-03-2015, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funcrusher3000 View Post
Kings Plaza is a mall, not a neighborhood
Yes, I know that Rhodes Scholar but it's within Marine Park. It's the mall where people who reside in that area would shop in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City