Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 07:01 AM

106,592 posts, read 108,739,314 times

Advertisements

i sold it for what i paid five years earlier . but after broker fees and closing costs we got less .

but ownership is also about opportunity costs. not only did it cost us about 10k a year to keep going all year , but we gave up about 12k in income on the 235k tied up in the house just figuring bonds .

a big part of what you have tied up in a house once the mortgge is paid is the fact it costing you what you are not getting . in this case by having the 235k tied up in the house equity we were no longer getting that income .

so 20-22k a year was a lot in costs to shell out once we no longer were interested in retiring there .

so it is up for sale again . now get this freaky thing .

on the city data nepa forum someone was talking about homes they are looking at in the lake wallenpaupack area and they loved a particular home and linked the MLS number .

out of curiosity i clicked the link and it was our ex house for 50k less then we sold it to the new owners .

what are the odds they wold be talking about my house ?

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-12-2015 at 07:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 07:12 AM

6,681 posts, read 6,025,153 times
Who's moving to the Poconos:

"In the past two years, nearly half of Toll Brothers sales — nine out of 20 in two developments near Stroudsburg — have gone to Brooklyn buyers, D’Amico claims, with a sizable amount of those homeowners coming from East New York, Canarsie, Ditmas Park, and Flatbush"

'nuff said!

Old 11-12-2015, 07:23 AM

the pocono's are a huge area . monroe county in my opinion which is where stroudsburg is , is a dump . we would shy away from even going to photograph many parts of it .

gangs , drugs , crime and taxes are terrible.

but go to pike county or wayne county and it is a different world . it is beautiful country and mostly rural .

lake wallenpaupack where we were is one of the highest rated school districts in pa and is the boating capital of pa as the lake has 52 miles of shore line .

our development featured the tanglwood ski area in the center of it which went bankrupt the year we bought lol

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-12-2015 at 07:54 AM..

Old 11-12-2015, 03:05 PM
dun

193 posts, read 226,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
what a terrible place to go . we made the mistake of going for a weekend . the whole town for the most part closed by 6pm . we had near no choices as to where to even eat
youre missing the point. easton is the direct opposite of nyc. you dont go there to dine and wine and then hit up a club till 2 in the morning. you go there to breath some fresh air and drink a beer by the river. to release your mind of the nyc stress. lay in a hammock all day and not give a f*ck about anything. thats where its at. my parents have a house on 611 north of easton (forks township i believe)...its a great area, mainly because everyone there is from pa. 0 new yorkers! neighbor across the road has a farm + numerous greenhouses with cheap fresh produce everyday of the year. only thing that sucks is the house is not that far from the road, so there is some noise but living in ny for 25+ years the noise helps put me to sleep. the fireplace keeps the house warm during the winter on wood. in the summer you dont need ac. there are many parts of pa that are sh*t and many houses that are sh*t, but easton isnt one of them (if you find the right place). parents house was ~100k when they bought after the crash. like i said before, dont sleep on easton i love it there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
Bad idea on Easton and Bethlehem. Have you ever driven on I-78? There are so many tractor trailers and frazzled drivers. There are accidents on that stretch left and right. One accident I passed just this morning was so bad that there was a tower of smoke, the car literally exploded on impact with the driver being trapped inside. I couldn't imagine doing that commute on a daily basis, especially in winter!
i78 has got to be my favorite stretch of road overall and its great during rush hour once you get outta the city. everybody is doing 80 evenly spaced. you throw on cruise control and dont touch the brakes the whole way. it take about 75mins for me door to door. driving yourself everyday i agree that would suck (+ parkin in nyc is a b*tch) but there are numerous park and ride stops. the bus is half and hr longer on a bad day. as for accidents, ive never seen one and been driving that stretch of road once a week for almost 8years

Old 11-12-2015, 03:23 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,671,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryswan View Post
Dear Negative Nelly,

I was asking if anyone was considering from a positve perspective.

If its not of your interest why step in like marauders

to ruin someone else's possibilities?
Before moving anywhere, consider both pro and con!

Old 11-12-2015, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dun View Post
youre missing the point. easton is the direct opposite of nyc. you dont go there to dine and wine and then hit up a club till 2 in the morning. you go there to breath some fresh air and drink a beer by the river. to release your mind of the nyc stress. lay in a hammock all day and not give a f*ck about anything. thats where its at. my parents have a house on 611 north of easton (forks township i believe)...its a great area, mainly because everyone there is from pa. 0 new yorkers! neighbor across the road has a farm + numerous greenhouses with cheap fresh produce everyday of the year. only thing that sucks is the house is not that far from the road, so there is some noise but living in ny for 25+ years the noise helps put me to sleep. the fireplace keeps the house warm during the winter on wood. in the summer you dont need ac. there are many parts of pa that are sh*t and many houses that are sh*t, but easton isnt one of them (if you find the right place). parents house was ~100k when they bought after the crash. like i said before, dont sleep on easton i love it there.

i78 has got to be my favorite stretch of road overall and its great during rush hour once you get outta the city. everybody is doing 80 evenly spaced. you throw on cruise control and dont touch the brakes the whole way. it take about 75mins for me door to door. driving yourself everyday i agree that would suck (+ parkin in nyc is a b*tch) but there are numerous park and ride stops. the bus is half and hr longer on a bad day. as for accidents, ive never seen one and been driving that stretch of road once a week for almost 8years
easton is my last choice for a breath of fresh air . we looked in easton at a place . it was a high end golf community just outside of town . we hated the area .

that area was scratched off the list day 1. anywhere else in pike or wayne was a far better choice in my opinion .

not only wouldn't i live there , i would never go back to visit that area .

we ended up buying in tanglwiood north in the lake region of pike county right outside of hawley . .

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-12-2015 at 04:47 PM..

Old 11-12-2015, 05:46 PM

19,033 posts, read 13,944,967 times
I'm almost definitely going to move to PA when I retire, as long as their gun laws stay how they are now. If they change, I'm moving to New Hampshire. The colder a state is, the lower it's crime rate because ghettos don't do well in the cold (except for Chicago of course).

No way I am staying in NY once I have to follow the unconstitutional laws that non-sworn law enforcement subjects of the NY hereditary monarchy have to follow. I'm taking my scary guns, NYC pension, and kissing this state good bye. I don't plan on moving to the Poconos though, probably slightly further west and south, near the border with MD and VA so I can be closer to W.Va.

Old 11-12-2015, 09:29 PM

88,521 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
No thanks.

Have friends that moved to Bethlehem that tried to convince me to move out there.

The commute is $400 a month and at least 3-4 hours a day on the bus if you work in Manhattan.

The Poconos is actually getting worse crime wise, I know people who have reported drive by shootings out there. Primarily because a lot of people who got priced out of NY and NJ saw it was cheaper out there and moved.

PA gets more snow than we do. I'm not a fan of snow.

Plus you need a car out there. So on top of paying more for transportation, you need to pay for a car, insurance and all of the other added expenses. So in the end, you'd probably break even.
Bethlehem is not in the Poconos. Just sayin' because people might be confused by your post. Does sound like an awful commute.

Yes, the crime had gotten worse in the Poconos in the past 20 years since so many lowlifes from the city decided to move out that way and brought their criminal minds with them. It's sad.

Old 11-13-2015, 12:06 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,963,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dun View Post

I think Mathjak has the point. For people who are used to NYC and like NYC, giving that up permanently for places in the Poconos is pretty hard and if they do it's often because they have no choice.

If you have enough money for a country estate then a second home in the Poconos might be fun if you're into gardening/farming, raising animals, etc.

But to just get a cheap track house in a town?

Not at all particularly fun or appealing, especially since many of these people are commuting to NYC because the local economy isn't that good. And it would be terrible dealing with the crime and massive addict population.

Old 11-13-2015, 02:16 AM

we just retired and if all we had day after day was a hammock and the birds chirping i would go insane after a while .

we need things to do and places to go daily . going to the high school football game isn't my idea of a day out ,.

it is hard to make money in these area's and the poconos are economically depressed .

tourism and mom and pop business make up the bulk of its economy .wall street west died because structurally the area can't support any kind of big business .

there are no big buildings existing for big business , anything has to be built but the sewers and power generation ability is not in place .

business support like great attorneys , accountants , tax people are not in place .

the facility's to support big business are not in place . try sending a few thousand employees out to lunch in hawley and see how long it takes to accommodate them .

in fact with most roads one lane if grandma goes out for a drive your entire staff is late .

the biggest issue to getting any of this is 1/2 the pocono's are designated forever wild and protected .

no business's want to get involved with being near one of these areas and the regulations and restrictions on their own building .

like i said , nice place to visit or have a 2nd vacation home but not the best choice to live .

study's show that low cost areas with lower pay end up lagging behind the wealth accumulation of higher cost higher pay areas . these lower cost area folks do not save as much or accumulate as much despite the lower cost of living .

this is why anyone with a home in long island can sell their 800k home , relocate to a lower cost area and have lots left over . that lower cost area local has their 150k- 200k home and no where to relocate to and less in savings . .

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-13-2015 at 03:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City