Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2016, 06:45 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,952,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
There are a lot of professional, high income AAs who live in Harlem, Bed Stuy, and Ft. Greene. They've given up the suburbs/Teaneck and are returning to the city too. Gentrifiers aren't only White. While the demographics have shifted in Harlem so that seeing a white person isn't like sighting a unicorn, Harlem will more than likely remain majority Black (not just AA) for quite some time. At my old law firm in the city, several of the Black associates lived in Harlem.
Exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptowner10 View Post
I did not suggest that transplants are or ought to be a protected class. I offered my opinion that making sweeping generalizations about a large group of people is wrong and really rather shallow-minded.
I don't think anyone makes sweeping generalizations. Most understand that there have always been people who moved here from elsewhere. This does not make them transplants. It depends.

Old 02-09-2016, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
Nostalgic for the days of the stay at home mom, the house, the white picket fence, and the freshly mowed lawn? The days of Archie Bunker? This certainly wasn't the reality for everyone.
Nostalgia for the days when powerful sets of assumptions organized everything and provided certainty - along with assumed power and privilege for specific groups. Those were effects, certainly.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:55 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,524,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
At least the Harlem guy was just shooting his mouth off. Doesn't quite compare to the black guy who beat up a white train passenger this past weekend near the Church Ave Q for being white and in the "wrong neighborhood."

White subway rider assaulted by black man in Brooklyn station: ‘Cracka, you don’t belong here’

It's being investigated by the Hate Crime unit.
That's kinda bizarre to me, isn't that Kensington (or close to it at least)? Several blocks away where my grandmother lives, it certainly doesn't seem like a black neighborhood.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:57 AM

25,556 posts, read 24,050,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
There are a lot of professional, high income AAs who live in Harlem, Bed Stuy, and Ft. Greene. They've given up the suburbs/Teaneck and are returning to the city too. Gentrifiers aren't only White. While the demographics have shifted in Harlem so that seeing a white person isn't like sighting a unicorn, Harlem will more than likely remain majority Black (not just AA) for quite some time. At my old law firm in the city, several of the Black associates lived in Harlem.
But you have other demographics that have moved into Harlem in recent years, such as Hispanics (obviously not all of whom are Black), Asians, etc. Between immigration and gentrification Harlem isn't going to hold a Black majority.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:48 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,888,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
But you have other demographics that have moved into Harlem in recent years, such as Hispanics (obviously not all of whom are Black), Asians, etc. Between immigration and gentrification Harlem isn't going to hold a Black majority.
When I looked at a demographic map of NYC, I was surprised to see how Hispanic the Bronx is. Black majority seems to be located in Central Harlem, Central/Eastern Brooklyn, Jamaica Queens, and Northern Bronx/Lower Westchester County. If gentrification continues to spread in Central Harlem and Central Brooklyn then black majority will be reduced to the outer limits of NYC.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...-race-map.html

I can understand why the black community would be concern and upset with the current trend.

Mike Tyson on gentrification (below).

Quote:
Too many people, so many cameras, it's just overwhelming.

I even went to my old neighborhood, it was a dangerous neighborhood growing up - now there is a Whole Foods down there - they are building the neighborhoods up now, there is no more ghettos.

Sometimes I go to my old neighborhood, and think to myself was my whole life a lie - you don't see the bunch of guys hanging out on the corner anymore, now you see a whole bunch of white people.

Last edited by NYer23; 02-09-2016 at 12:58 PM..

Old 02-09-2016, 01:13 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,253,033 times
sorry for the ignorant question.. but is there a town or city in america that is majority black and considered upper middle class.

Old 02-09-2016, 01:14 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,253,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
When I looked at a demographic map of NYC, I was surprised to see how Hispanic the Bronx is. Black majority seems to be located in Central Harlem, Central/Eastern Brooklyn, Jamaica Queens, and Northern Bronx/Lower Westchester County. If gentrification continues to spread in Central Harlem and Central Brooklyn then black majority will be reduced to the outer limits of NYC.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...-race-map.html

I can understand why the black community would be concern and upset with the current trend.

Mike Tyson on gentrification (below).

many elderly black are actually relocating to the carolinas.. and other parts of the South..
this happened in NJ back 40 years ago, when the Catholics and Jews invaded North Bergen County, and the Dutch, and WASPs began mass exodus.. last population remained until Florio.. that was the end of it and the beginning of the Soprano State, and the corrupt EPA dumpsite it is now.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:07 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,707,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
You're forgetting that lots of Latinos along with blacks are also being affected by gentrification.

Old 02-09-2016, 06:36 PM

31,999 posts, read 27,183,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ControlJohnsons View Post
sorry for the ignorant question.. but is there a town or city in america that is majority black and considered upper middle class.

Here ya go: 10 of the Richest Black Communities in America - Atlanta Black Star
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City