Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 01:49 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,474,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
For some weird reason segregation is defined in terms of how many whites live in a neighborhood.

So a city like NYC will have high segregation even in a neighborhood where 50 languages are spoken!

20 years ago we knew who was getting off where on the subway, and positioned ourselves to get a seat.

In fact whites are heavy in numbers up to Harlem, and into Crown Heights these days. Some even going beyond the Utica Ave stop! On the L they are practically at the Junction!

What is at issue isn't residential segregation. It is social segregation. Blacks and whites don't mix in these areas, except at a surface level.
I noticed that many white people get off at 96th st on the Lexington Ave line nowadays, and I see a lot of them walking North. And yeah, I noticed that some people consider a neighborhood "segregated" simply due to lack of white people.

The social segregation you speak of exists to an extent, however I still see a lot of mixed groups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 01:49 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,531,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Caribbean and African blacks tend to be better educated than African Americans. .

There isn't much difference in the educational attainment of Caribbean and American blacks. Both have college attainment levels of around 25%.

And most Caribbean people speak creoles in informal situations, which is no different from black Americans. Caribbean language can get quite profane, but then you don't understand what they mean. When a Jamaican says "bloodclaat" it isn't a nice thing. This forum will not allow me to tell you what it really is.

Old 05-31-2016, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I
East Flatbush, Flatlands, Canarsie, Brownsville, etc. don't seem to have an influx of whites or Hispanics. Nor do the North Bronx neighborhoods East of say, Norwood.

To the contrary, there has been a definite in immigration of Puerto Ricans and Dominicans into Wakefield recently. Both as tenants and as owners.

Old 05-31-2016, 01:54 AM

Quote:
To the contrary, there has been a definite in immigration of Puerto Ricans and Dominicans into Wakefield recently. Both as tenants and as owners.
Interesting, I thought of it as being solidly black however Wakefield and Williamsbridge probably have a significant Hispanic minority.

Old 05-31-2016, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Interesting, I thought of it as being solidly black however Wakefield and Williamsbridge probably have a significant Hispanic minority.

Yes there is a growing Puerto Rican and Dominican minority. I Wakefield Cannot speak about Williamsbridge. Also people of Indo Caribbean origin.

Summer Saturday nights are a veritable mix of soca, dancehall, bachata, reggaeton, and of course R&B and rap, as well as some chutney (Indo Caribbean music).

In fact Wakefield and Williamsbridge, west of WP Road is probably more Latin than black these days.

Old 05-31-2016, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Yes there is a growing Puerto Rican and Dominican minority. Also people of Indo Caribbean origin.

Summer Saturday nights are a veritable mix of soca, dancehall, bachata, reggaeton, and of course R&B and rap, as well as some chutney (Indo Caribbean music).
I've noticed that Indo-Caribbean people seem to be the only non blacks I see in Southeast Queens.

Also I wonder what The Bronx will be like in 20 years demographic wise. I think it will be more diverse in general.

Old 05-31-2016, 04:09 AM

31,897 posts, read 26,938,579 times
Quote:
I live in Baldwin and I'm pretty sure most black people I know here have at least one parent of West Indian descent.

I was gonna say, I would guess that many Mexican immigrants work in restaurants in Manhattan and Brownstone Brooklyn, so their families move into places that are conveniently located and (relatively speaking) affordable. I don't think we'll see many Mexicans move East of Flatbush.

East Flatbush, Flatlands, Canarsie, Brownsville, etc. don't seem to have an influx of whites or Hispanics. Nor do the North Bronx neighborhoods East of say, Norwood.

Bedstuy and Flatbush are more centrally located and thus more desirable in general.

By the middle or late 1990's whites had pretty much fled Canarsie. They aren't going back in large or perhaps even small numbers anytime soon.

Old 05-31-2016, 06:42 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,596,424 times
Quote:
True Caribbean/African households have higher median incomes than is the case of black Americans.

But consider this.

1. Since the 80s there has been significant out migration of Caribbean people, these tending to be middle/upper middle class.

2. Much of the in migration in that period has been of a less educated and skilled cohort. So the Caribbean populations of the 80s aren't the same as they are today. In fact even South East Queens is beginning to dip.

3. As the Caribbean population transitions to its 3rd generation (descendants of those who arrived in the late 60s and 70s) some dysfunction has appeared. And often the same as one can see among low income black Americans.
Why do you think that has happened?
Especially since much of those first Caribbean immigrants were working- and middle-class.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
By the middle or late 1990's whites had pretty much fled Canarsie. They aren't going back in large or perhaps even small numbers anytime soon.
Canarsie will be one of those neighborhoods that probably won't have influx of whites, as it's too far from Manhattan by subway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Why do you think that has happened?
Especially since much of those first Caribbean immigrants were working- and middle-class.
Kids of West Indians, at least Jamaicans, seem to fully assimilate into AA culture.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:
I've noticed that Indo-Caribbean people seem to be the only non blacks I see in Southeast Queens.

Also I wonder what The Bronx will be like in 20 years demographic wise. I think it will be more diverse in general.

The NYT is bigging up the Bronx these days. So yes it will be different. People sell and others buy, and who buys will determine changes.

SE Queens is as far as one can get from Manhattan, and still be in NYC. I don't expect gentrification, but I do expect middle class people fleeing from its impacts elsewhere in the City.

Increasingly people live where they can afford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City