Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2008, 08:43 AM

3 posts, read 11,767 times

Advertisements

Hey does anyone know anything about rent-direct.com? I know what it is, but I want to know if I should trust it. It's basically a no broker fee site for finding an apartment that costs about $250. If not, does anyone know of a low broker fee place to find an apartment? I am in Atlanta so I need help....Thanks!

Last edited by campbeck; 02-17-2008 at 10:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 07:08 PM

12 posts, read 59,654 times
Default Rent Direct

Hello, I am also considering using this website- (moving from Chicago)- a friend in NYC used a similar service (not rent direct but another site he doesn't remember the name of). Anyways, he said these type of websites are worth the fee because they weed out the "bait and switch" brokers who get you in with no fee promises via craigslist, etc. Also, he said these sites are good because they take the rented apartments off ASAP and don't repost the same apartment a billion times like you'll see on craigslist. Rent direct claims they have support staff available via the phone as well if you have any questions and this may be very valuable to people moving into NYC for the first time. On the down side, there are many people signed up for the service and they will get the same results as you so it will still be quite competitive like craigslist. Also, many of their apartments ARE listed on craigslist as well so you might end up paying the fee for a place you could have found for free on your own. However, when I did my free preview search 39 apartments were listed as "exclusive" to Rent Direct so that's a good thing I think! I hope my rambling helped a little. If anyone else has anything to say about these sites please post! I am still not quite 100% convinced myself but $250 seems like a reasonable fee to pay to help cut down on some of the stress of finding a NYC apartment.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:43 AM

757 posts, read 3,363,354 times
Check with the NYC Dept of Consumer Affairs
New York City Department of Consumer Affairs

They'll have a record of complaints, if any.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:53 AM

33 posts, read 157,077 times
I used Rent Direct to find my apartment and it saved me the cost of a realtor. It is kind of frustrating b/c many of the apartments were also posted on other sites and there were some of the same apartments on there for months. Just because an apartment in on RD, it doesnt mean realtors dont have the listing. I found it to have a lot of apartments for rent by private owners v. building managers and that was my biggest complaint. For $250, it was worth it and I would do it again. I found it much more reliable than craigslist where people would flake out when it came time to view the apartment. Good luck.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:25 PM

922 posts, read 3,861,494 times
Sublet.com is a similar broker-free site that I once used to avoid the craigslist cesspool.

I think the fee is about $100 for three months. Despite the name, there are more than just short-term listings. You can browse the listings for free without registering. After you pay the fee, you can then see contact info.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:51 PM

1 posts, read 6,845 times
hey. i am goin to do a short term course in nyc for 4 months. i badly need to find a decent place in very reasonable rent. can i get sm feedback on this . and how to go about choosing the right locality

Old 04-25-2009, 11:38 PM

757 posts, read 3,363,354 times
Big question, surbhi. Define "reasonable [for you] rent," and in what area is your course? A good rent may not be worth it if it means a 90-minute commute, right?

Old 04-26-2009, 06:00 PM

541 posts, read 1,902,776 times
I used Rent-direct to find my apartment. I would use it again. Its trustworthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City