Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 12:56 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,600,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
In neighborhoods where there are few people on these programs, you clearly have much lower rates of gang activity. These programs are major problems. If you saw these programs as go great you would apply to be in them yourself. Clearly you don't think of them as that good.
I would certainly apply for any benefits I would be eligible for. Anyone would be stupid not to.
Section 8 is closed so no one can apply for Section 8.
I'm not HIV-positive, so I can't apply for HASA.
My household income may be too high to live in a NYCHA project as well.

I HAVE applied for any programs I do qualify for (moderate income housing programs).

In addition, in the past when I was unemployed, I applied for - and received - health insurance through Family Health Plus (no longer exists, but it was basically Medicaid for people that had too much money in the bank for Medicaid, but a low/no income).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2016, 01:07 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
I would certainly apply for any benefits I would be eligible for. Anyone would be stupid not to.
Section 8 is closed so no one can apply for Section 8.
I'm not HIV-positive, so I can't apply for HASA.
My household income may be too high to live in a NYCHA project as well.

I HAVE applied for any programs I do qualify for (moderate income housing programs).

In addition, in the past when I was unemployed, I applied for - and received - health insurance through Family Health Plus (no longer exists, but it was basically Medicaid for people that had too much money in the bank for Medicaid, but a low/no income).
Just because you are eligible for a government program does not mean you have to apply! It's one thing to get Medicaid, because health coverage is important. But the housing programs? Just make sure you get a job making enough money to live where you want to, or move to where you can afford to live.

The 80/20s and a lot of other housing programs are more or less scams that are done to justify getting developers tax credit.

If Section 8 was open I would not apply (apparently you would) and I am not interested in applying to any of the housing programs, including middle income.

Old 09-11-2016, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Just because you are eligible for a government program does not mean you have to apply! It's one thing to get Medicaid, because health coverage is important. But the housing programs? Just make sure you get a job making enough money to live where you want to, or move to where you can afford to live.

The 80/20s and a lot of other housing programs are more or less scams that are done to justify getting developers tax credit.

If Section 8 was open I would not apply (apparently you would) and I am not interested in applying to any of the housing programs, including middle income.
If Section 8 was open I don't know if I would apply.

I assume it has an income limit (you need to be low-income to apply?), and since we are middle class, I'm assuming we wouldn't qualify anyway.

But if my income was low, of COURSE I would apply! Why not? It's a great program, especially in a city like NYC where housing is unaffordable for so many.

The moderate income programs seem great, because even middle class people can barely afford to live in NYC these days. Why not?

Old 09-11-2016, 05:20 PM

NYWriterDude: I think you and I have a difference in opinion.

I am not against public benefits/welfare, etc. Not at all.
I AM against people abusing benefits, but that's a very different issue.

Old 09-11-2016, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Just because you are eligible for a government program does not mean you have to apply! It's one thing to get Medicaid, because health coverage is important. But the housing programs?
Yeah, health coverage is "important".
But housing is pretty important too!

Old 09-11-2016, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Yeah, health coverage is "important".
But housing is pretty important too!
Housing is very important too. But I feel like I'd rather just get housing the regular way. But I am aware of the very high market prices in NYC and why people apply for affordable housing. The process may take years, but if you are interested and patient you can apply to the various types of housing on NYC Connect.

Personally if I can't find housing I like that's affordable to me I'd rather leave town. Affordable housing isn't always permanent (some programs are just for the duration of the bonds that come with the tax incentive). What happens to those people once the tax credit runs out? Unless it is renewed the property manager could fall them out. There's certainly a lot wrong with the housing situation in NYC and it certainly needs to be fixed.

But you would need the federal government to change tax credits, the tax code as far as housing goes in general, and benefits in order to truly address that.

Old 09-11-2016, 06:30 PM

Quote:
NYWriterDude: I think you and I have a difference in opinion.

I am not against public benefits/welfare, etc. Not at all.
I AM against people abusing benefits, but that's a very different issue.
If I lost my job or had disaster happen to me, I would apply for benefits if I needed them. I am against people permanently going on the system, and that's not just people abusing benefits. The system often encourages them to do so (example, a person with Aids could permanently go on HASA). Those on Section 8 can have it for life.

That's my objection.

I too have used medicaid in between jobs. And unemployment. We pay taxes for our social safety net and they are for us if we need them.

However it isn't fair for people to indefinitely be on the system (while earning cash off the books) and otherwise being a drain and not a contributor to the economy.

Old 09-11-2016, 07:27 PM

Quote:
If I lost my job or had disaster happen to me, I would apply for benefits if I needed them. I am against people permanently going on the system, and that's not just people abusing benefits. The system often encourages them to do so (example, a person with Aids could permanently go on HASA). Those on Section 8 can have it for life.

That's my objection.

I too have used medicaid in between jobs. And unemployment. We pay taxes for our social safety net and they are for us if we need them.

However it isn't fair for people to indefinitely be on the system (while earning cash off the books) and otherwise being a drain and not a contributor to the economy.
I am also against people using benefits indefinitely IF they can work.

Section 8 "for life" does not guarantee a low rent. If you start earning more money, your Section 8 rent goes up. I know plenty of people who start paying higher rents, on Section 8, when they start earning more.

Some people on HASA are so ill with HIV/AIDS that they will never be able to work.

But I agree, others are simply HIV-positive and can certainly work (HIV is not a death sentence anymore, it's more of a chronic disease, like diabetes.)

Old 09-11-2016, 08:20 PM

Quote:

That's my objection.

It's interesting to me that people will take advantage of benefits (unemployment, FEMA, even Medicaid!) when THEY need them.
But when OTHERS take advantage of benefits, it's suddenly "working the system"...

Old 09-12-2016, 04:46 AM

Quote:
It's interesting to me that people will take advantage of benefits (unemployment, FEMA, even Medicaid!) when THEY need them.
But when OTHERS take advantage of benefits, it's suddenly "working the system"...
No, it is not working the system if people are on the benefits on a temporary basis, as they are SUPPOSED to be UNLESS they are disabled.

Example, someone getting on Section 8 for life is working the system. Someone getting a HASA apartment just because they have had a Aids diagnosis is working the system.

Many of these people do indeed work, but as noted it is off the books while claiming to be unable to work. No matter what way you cut it, it is bad for taxpayers and a drain on the system. It's a factor in why cities promote gentrification.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City