Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2016, 08:06 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,598,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Speaking of, you claim to be so bothered by "gangs" and "drugs" yet you tell a 30 year old college graduate that he should automatically get a welfare apartment just because he is entitled to it instead of suggesting he just get a job and rent whatever place he can afford (even if only it is a room). You do realize places with high levels of welfare clients tend to have higher levels of crime, for obvious reasons.
When did I tell a 30 year old college graduate this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2016, 08:54 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
When did I tell a 30 year old college graduate this?
On the thread where he mentioned living in a SRO. Instead of telling him to get a job you suggested he get a HASA apartment. Having a welfare apartment and not working certainly predisposes one to the antisocial behaviors you say you hate so much,

Old 09-11-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
On the thread where he mentioned living in a SRO. Instead of telling him to get a job you suggested he get a HASA apartment. Having a welfare apartment and not working certainly predisposes one to the antisocial behaviors you say you hate so much,
Okay...

Um, thanks for...."noticing" (aka, stalking?)

How do you manage to track all my postings I wonder? You must really find me...compelling?

In any case, I didn't SUGGEST that that man get a HASA apartment. He was ALREADY looking for a HASA apartment, if you remember.
Since he (it seems) is HASA-eligible, I simply stated that he should be able to find one. Jeez...

Old 09-11-2016, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Okay...

Um, thanks for...."noticing" (aka, stalking?)

How do you manage to track all my postings I wonder? You must really find me...compelling?

In any case, I didn't SUGGEST that that man get a HASA apartment. He was ALREADY looking for a HASA apartment, if you remember.
Since he (it seems) is HASA-eligible, I simply stated that he should be able to find one. Jeez...
Not stalking you, but you claim to hate various forms of antisocial behavior (drugs, gangs) yet you still offer encouragement to a man who is trying to do something that predisposes people to such behaviors (get a welfare apartment) instead of telling him to get a job and rent where he can afford.

That's a major discrepancy.

He was living in a SRO on HASA, and he was having a lot of difficulty finding an apartment.

Old 09-11-2016, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Not stalking you, but you claim to hate various forms of antisocial behavior (drugs, gangs) yet you still offer encouragement to a man who is trying to do something that predisposes people to such behaviors (get a welfare apartment) instead of telling him to get a job and rent where he can afford.

That's a major discrepancy.

He was living in a SRO on HASA, and he was having a lot of difficulty finding an apartment.
I don't believe that "getting a welfare apartment" (The term makes no sense, by the way: there is no such thing as a "welfare apartment") PREDISPOSES people to drugs and gangs, or other "antisocial" behavior (not sure what other behavior you are referring to.
WTF?

Old 09-11-2016, 10:23 AM

Quote:
I don't believe that "getting a welfare apartment" (The term makes no sense, by the way: there is no such thing as a "welfare apartment") PREDISPOSES people to drugs and gangs, or other "antisocial" behavior (not sure what other behavior you are referring to.
WTF?
People with jobs or people in college are not joining gangs. The people who join gangs or who are raving junkies are unemployed people supported by government programs including Sectuon 8, NYCHA, and HASA. It doesn't matter what you believe, lack of education and lack of employment have been demonstrated to be major factors in negative encounters with the criminal justice system.

Put it like this, the gangsters in Harlem are not Columbia or City College students or faculty. They aren't working in neighborhood hospitals or stores. They aren't the gentrified rapidly moving in. They are on the above mentioned welfare programs.

Old 09-11-2016, 10:31 AM

Quote:
People with jobs or people in college are not joining gangs. The people who join gangs or who are raving junkies are unemployed people supported by government programs including Sectuon 8, NYCHA, and HASA. It doesn't matter what you believe, lack of education and lack of employment have been demonstrated to be major factors in negative encounters with the criminal justice system.

Put it like this, the gangsters in Harlem are not Columbia or City College students or faculty. They aren't working in neighborhood hospitals or stores. They aren't the gentrified rapidly moving in. They are on the above mentioned welfare programs.
Of course the second paragraph you just wrote is accurate.

BUT simply being unemployed and/or taking advantage of a government program like Section 8, NYCHA, and HASA does not make someone engage with the criminal justice system.

Also, just for the record, lots of people on Section 8 and also living in NYCHA apartments are NOT unemployed.

Old 09-11-2016, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Of course the second paragraph you just wrote is accurate.

BUT simply being unemployed and/or taking advantage of a government program like Section 8, NYCHA, and HASA does not make someone engage with the criminal justice system.

Also, just for the record, lots of people on Section 8 and also living in NYCHA apartments are NOT unemployed.
In neighborhoods where there are few people on these programs, you clearly have much lower rates of gang activity. These programs are major problems. If you saw these programs as go great you would apply to be in them yourself. Clearly you don't think of them as that good.

Old 09-11-2016, 10:44 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,440 times
When my brother moved to White Plains to be closer to his job at a corporate park in Tarrytown I was shocked by the cost of living there.

Yes, maybe purchasing a house is cheaper out there but renting and virtually everything else is just as expensive, if not more than NYC (measured on an equivalent basis). When it comes to housing, they have the same problem as we do here. Shortage of supply constrained by foolish housing laws.

Old 09-11-2016, 10:49 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Shortage of supply constrained by foolish housing laws.
Those laws are intended to protect owner value, and they are extremely successful. If you're looking to establish yourself in life though, it's going to be one hell of a climb
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City