Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 06:23 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,263,472 times

Advertisements

In the end if you were able to quantify all these so called "working the system" it would still not even come close to the amount of how much we are really being screwed by tax breaks and loop holes by the 1 percent. But I guess it is easier to blame other people about poor people hardships.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 06:23 AM

106,724 posts, read 108,913,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Just because you are eligible for a government program does not mean you have to apply! It's one thing to get Medicaid, because health coverage is important. But the housing programs? Just make sure you get a job making enough money to live where you want to, or move to where you can afford to live.

The 80/20s and a lot of other housing programs are more or less scams that are done to justify getting developers tax credit.

If Section 8 was open I would not apply (apparently you would) and I am not interested in applying to any of the housing programs, including middle income.
since we just retired we have a choice of living solely off cash the first two years . if we did that i could get medicaid since i am to young for medicare .

it is not something i would do even though the rules of the game allow it . medicaid for health insurance has no net worth restrictions only income . fall below the income threshold and an aca plan is not an option , you get put right on medicaid .

Old 09-12-2016, 06:32 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,600,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
since we just retired we have a choice of living solely off cash the first two years . if we did that i could get medicaid since i am to young for medicare .

it is not something i would do even though the rules of the game allow it . .
Why not do it?

The whole health insurance-company-system in this country is a total racquet anyway.

Old 09-12-2016, 07:08 AM

i don't want the medicaid doctors and services avail to us . my daughter had a medicaid plan in college . it sucked and most doctors we like will not take it .

it is also a moral issue . i would not want tax payers paying for my medicaid health insurance .

while it is true that the tools ,rules and laws may be left in place for you to use that does not mean i am comfortable using all of them morally .

our entire tax system is based on the fact your fair share of taxes is whatever you can legally figure out you have to pay using the tools available to you . so being smarter is not always a bad thing .

same thing with medicaid planning for long term care when you have assets . the rules and tools are all left in place for a reason . the states do not want both an impoverished spouse and the person needing care eventually ending up on welfare and medicaid . so the tools are left in place for those smart enough to use them to at least keep the stay at home spouse solvent . .

but just applying for medicaid health insurance when you have substantial assets and your spouse is not being impoverished is wrong in my opinion .

Last edited by mathjak107; 09-12-2016 at 07:42 AM..

Old 09-12-2016, 08:16 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:
i don't want the medicaid doctors and services avail to us . my daughter had a medicaid plan in college . it sucked and most doctors we like will not take it .

it is also a moral issue . i would not want tax payers paying for my medicaid health insurance .

while it is true that the tools ,rules and laws may be left in place for you to use that does not mean i am comfortable using all of them morally .

our entire tax system is based on the fact your fair share of taxes is whatever you can legally figure out you have to pay using the tools available to you . so being smarter is not always a bad thing .

same thing with medicaid planning for long term care when you have assets . the rules and tools are all left in place for a reason . the states do not want both an impoverished spouse and the person needing care eventually ending up on welfare and medicaid . so the tools are left in place for those smart enough to use them to at least keep the stay at home spouse solvent . .

but just applying for medicaid health insurance when you have substantial assets and your spouse is not being impoverished is wrong in my opinion .

That's how I feel. Just because you qualify for a government program doesn't mean you always have to apply.

I don't apply for any housing program because it takes years to get affordable housing, meanwhile in all those years there are plenty of other things I could have done with my life. There's a whole big world out there outside of NYC.

Old 09-13-2016, 02:44 AM

i grew up in a nych project . i can tell you while 69k household income for a family of 4 qualify's you i would rather work day and night than ever go back to one ,.

there are many things we legally can do or get in gimmee's that are just morally not the right thing to do .

i have a nys partnership plan for long term care insurance . one of our perk's is nys created a special form of medicaid called extended medicaid .

when our 3 years of insurance runs out nys agrees to pick up all our bills with out any regard of how much you have or look back on assets as well as no income limitations on the stay at home spouse . but that was the deal they put together and we pay big premiums for that deal .

we pay 8800.00 a year as a couple and we get a 1600 dollar tax credit back from the state for buying the plan . so medicaid in this case is the deal you are buying with the specific intent of taking advantage of the states offer to you to preserve all assets . .

Old 09-13-2016, 07:28 AM

Quote:
i grew up in a nych project . i can tell you while 69k household income for a family of 4 qualify's you i would rather work day and night than ever go back to one ,.

there are many things we legally can do or get in gimmee's that are just morally not the right thing to do .

i have a nys partnership plan for long term care insurance . one of our perk's is nys created a special form of medicaid called extended medicaid .

when our 3 years of insurance runs out nys agrees to pick up all our bills with out any regard of how much you have or look back on assets as well as no income limitations on the stay at home spouse . but that was the deal they put together and we pay big premiums for that deal .

we pay 8800.00 a year as a couple and we get a 1600 dollar tax credit back from the state for buying the plan . so medicaid in this case is the deal you are buying with the specific intent of taking advantage of the states offer to you to preserve all assets . .
The problem with programs is that you have income limits. So long as a person is obsessed with applying for every program they can potentially qualify for, it is going to LIMIT their INCOME and keep them POOR.

Also most landlords throughout the city reject housing vouchers, so those seeking them end up in the worst neighborhoods, or worse find that they have to remain in SROs because few landlords will take them despite city legislation passed 2 or 3 years ago. Theoretically it's illegal to discrimination in the source of income for the rent, but landlords do things like credit checks to disqualify applicants (and there is the 40x rule). Also you can't buy property on programs, or really make worthwhile plans for your future.

Old 09-14-2016, 04:11 AM

Only some of the programs have income limits. Some have limits only on taxable income not total income or net worth

Getting an aca subsidy is easy even with an income that exceeds 125k . If you are living off roth incomes and are delaying ss or are under the subsidy limits you qualify . Nothing wrong with that and it is a common part of retirement planning if you retire pre medicare age.

Set a side a few years cash to live on with roth income while delaying taking ss and letting it grow you can be on medicaid and have millions in assets.. i have a moral issue with totally dumping my health care costs on the tax payers.

Even our long term care plan has medicaid picking up the bills while you have a 100k plus income and millions in assets.

No problem here as this is the deal nys is offering and you are paying large premiums for that coverage after the insurance runs out . I have no moral issues here.

But there is a fine line morally between using the tools in place to take advantage of what is available vs stuff that is morally wrong.

If you frequent anyone of the retire young sites many folks see nothing wrong deciding just not to work in their 30's and 40's and use medicaid health insurance .They see nothing wrong doing it . But i do have a moral issue with that

Last edited by mathjak107; 09-14-2016 at 04:23 AM..

Old 09-14-2016, 06:59 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,600,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
[/b]

That's how I feel. Just because you qualify for a government program doesn't mean you always have to apply.

I don't apply for any housing program because it takes years to get affordable housing, meanwhile in all those years there are plenty of other things I could have done with my life. There's a whole big world out there outside of NYC.
Okay, if you want to move out of NYC, go for it.

But for those of us who live here and have jobs here, we have to find affordable housing here.

I also don't see anything wrong with using government resources.

I think health insurance SHOULD be run by the government (for everyone, not just that huge population of Americans on Medicaid and Medicare).

So yes, if I qualified (I wish I did), I would certainly apply for Medicaid. It's more comprehensive than any other health plan in the U.S. Why do poor people only have access to a comprehensive health insurance plan?

I mean, should we not use government resources if we can afford not to?

Is it wrong to send your kids to public school if you COULD afford to send them to private school?

Is it wrong to use the FREE public library, when you COULD afford to buy the books?

Old 09-14-2016, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Okay, if you want to move out of NYC, go for it.

But for those of us who live here and have jobs here, we have to find affordable housing here.

I also don't see anything wrong with using government resources.

I think health insurance SHOULD be run by the government (for everyone, not just that huge population of Americans on Medicaid and Medicare).

So yes, if I qualified (I wish I did), I would certainly apply for Medicaid. It's more comprehensive than any other health plan in the U.S. Why do poor people only have access to a comprehensive health insurance plan?

I mean, should we not use government resources if we can afford not to?

Is it wrong to send your kids to public school if you COULD afford to send them to private school?

Is it wrong to use the FREE public library, when you COULD afford to buy the books?
Re: Medicaid, if you can get a job with excellent benefits and private insurance, you should get that AND you should pay the co-pays. Many doctors don't take medicaid, and you either have to use private insurance and cash, or sometimes you have to use one of those medical credit cards.

Prioritizing medicaid means that you end up with a lower paying job, as their are income restrictions on medicaid and that is not good.

I see plenty wrong with using government resources IF you are not using them as a last resort.

Re:Public school vs private school, if you can afford private school and if it is giving your kids a better education you are doing your children a disservice by not sending them to the best education you can afford.

As for the library ,both undergrad and grad in theory I could have looked for at least some of the textbooks I used for classes in the library. But there was no guarantee that would be available when I needed to use them for assignments (someone else could have checked them out and I cannot keep a book for the semester). So I bought the books.

It's not good to be cheap and it's not good to always expect people to pay for you. People should spend their money and live where and how they can afford to live.

Now of course broad public service like transportation (airports are government owned, ditto mass transit) are public services for all and essential parts of our transportation network. Nothing wrong with that.

Look at yourself. You say you hate the people in "bad" neighborhoods, if you had focused more on earning more money you wouldn't even have to deal with those people or all these programs. You should let all this government stuff go. You actually sound a lot like them as you want to take as much as you can from the government. That is plain wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City