Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 04:23 PM

31,926 posts, read 27,007,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
That's also the fault of city officials for giving benefits to people who are NOT NYC or NYS residents, and it something the city or state should be able to AMEND.

They won't though. If this couldn't be amended under Giuliani or Bloomberg (particularly when Pataki was governor) it's safe to say this won't be amended and that for the forseeable future NYC will give benefits to anyone who applies.

I wonder if the federal government forces municipalities nationwide to give benefits to all applicants who financially qualify, regardless of residence. There's more to this than meets the eye.

You seem like a bright person, why don't you research these things before speaking?

Neither New York State nor City can restrict welfare benefits to new residents and or based upon residency length per the SCOTUS as such actions violate the USC in terms of freedom of movement/travel.

Federal government *tried* to give states the right to restrict welfare payments based upon residency, and that got shot down by the courts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shapiro_v._Thompson

What makes NYS and NYC such an attractive magnet for those seeking various welfare services is the vast, extensive and quite liberal benefits awarded. New York State per its constitution is the only one in the nation with a clause that mandates the state "must care for the poor". This has been extended, expanded and interpreted by NYS courts to include a host of benefits including making housing/shelter a "right".

Must say you've changed your tune. Back when it hit the news NYC had rolled out the red carpet for that transgender with HIV/AIDS to come here, get a free apartment/housing, Medicaid and even free sex change services/operations you were all in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2017, 05:18 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,857,841 times
Since HIV is now considered a manageable disease I think the HASA housing program should be scrapped. Do we have housing for other manageable diseases like diabetes, etc..?

Old 01-12-2017, 05:49 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,197,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
Since HIV is now considered a manageable disease I think the HASA housing program should be scrapped. Do we have housing for other manageable diseases like diabetes, etc..?
Do you have HIV? Do you have first hand knowledge of how manageable it is to live with it? No? Then no one cares whether you think it should be scrapped...

You are totally wrong HIV is still hell, medications have just slowed the progression of its development into full blown AIDS. People on medication develop cancer, sarcoma, and diseases you couldn't even imagine

Why don't you go talk to some people with HIV Before you go around condemning their main life support system. I don't think you remember what NY was like before HASA, everyone knew someone who died because of AIDS, people were walking the streets emaciated it was like a holocaust

Old 01-12-2017, 06:36 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,857,841 times
I don't, but other diseases are medication hell as well. I don't think housing should be based on some diseases but not others.

quote:
I don't think you remember what NY was like before HASA, everyone knew someone who died because of AIDS, people were walking the streets emaciated it was like a holocaust

I'm gay. I am also celibate. Technically I am more of autosexual/asexual. But it seems like everyone is screwing again condom-less. Google it, you KNOW I am right. Sorry, but HIV status should not be something that people get a cheap apartment for. Spare me. Things change. HASA should be one of the programs that we can scrap.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:42 PM

296 posts, read 481,687 times
Arrow lyla45

Quote:
I don't, but other diseases are medication hell as well. I don't think housing should be based on some diseases but not others.

quote:
I don't think you remember what NY was like before HASA, everyone knew someone who died because of AIDS, people were walking the streets emaciated it was like a holocaust

I'm gay. I am also celibate. Technically I am more of autosexual/asexual. But it seems like everyone is screwing again condom-less. Google it, you KNOW I am right. Sorry, but HIV status should not be something that people get a cheap apartment for. Spare me. Things change. HASA should be one of the programs that we can scrap.
Yes, that's seems SO discrimination against the others peoples with cancer, heart problems,, hepatitis C , kidney failure .

Old 01-12-2017, 07:54 PM

31,926 posts, read 27,007,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liliya47 View Post
Yes, that's seems SO discrimination against the others peoples with cancer, heart problems,, hepatitis C , kidney failure .

At the time rationale behind housing for HIV/AIDs was that people faced huge discrimination in finding (and or keeping) housing. Back when the *plague* was in full swing many landlords just refused to take anyone that remotely looked as if they were infected/suffering. That and or nursing homes and other facilities wouldn't take them either; meaning often persons who should have been discharged out of hospitals weren't. Though there again it often happened they were just "dumped" on the street.

For these and host of other reasons there was a push to create stable housing for those diagnosed with HIV/AIDS.
https://www.aids.gov/hiv-aids-basics...rself/housing/

Speaking of which one of the early advocates for HIV/AIDS housing recently passed on; proving what another poster stated, the disease can be "managed" but in the end nothing is certain.

Gina Quattrochi, 63, fighter for H.I.V. housing | The Villager Newspaper

Old 01-12-2017, 11:26 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
You seem like a bright person, why don't you research these things before speaking?

Neither New York State nor City can restrict welfare benefits to new residents and or based upon residency length per the SCOTUS as such actions violate the USC in terms of freedom of movement/travel.

Federal government *tried* to give states the right to restrict welfare payments based upon residency, and that got shot down by the courts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shapiro_v._Thompson

What makes NYS and NYC such an attractive magnet for those seeking various welfare services is the vast, extensive and quite liberal benefits awarded. New York State per its constitution is the only one in the nation with a clause that mandates the state "must care for the poor". This has been extended, expanded and interpreted by NYS courts to include a host of benefits including making housing/shelter a "right".

Must say you've changed your tune. Back when it hit the news NYC had rolled out the red carpet for that transgender with HIV/AIDS to come here, get a free apartment/housing, Medicaid and even free sex change services/operations you were all in.
Thank you for informing me of the precise case that forbids the federal government and the states from imposing residency requirements.

Old 01-12-2017, 11:34 PM

Quote:

quote:

You just might get your wish. The courts prevented Giuliani and Bloomberg from scrapping HASA, but nothing prevents the Trump administration and a Republican Congress from defunding it.

Honestly they already can cure some viral diseases like Hepatitis C. Treatments for HIV are getting better, and now one can even take preventative medicine (prep). Eventually HIV will be cured and by then there won't be any need for special welfare services. That should be the end goal. Other diseases we treat and/or cure.

I do understand that in the 80s when people were dying left and right and no one would touch them was a very different environment, and HIV activists pushed those benefits (HASA) through at a time when the medical profession wasn't even serious trying to help. The problem is an whole ecosystem grew around this (the person has HIV, let's get them all the benefits) when the efforts AND money should be focused on a cure, as HIV has become a manageable illness like you said. Whenever a cure is found it would save a lot of money (which is why I suspect the pharmaceutical industry has been dragging it's feet, it's another scam feeding of taxpayer dollars).

Old 01-12-2017, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post
Do you have HIV? Do you have first hand knowledge of how manageable it is to live with it? No? Then no one cares whether you think it should be scrapped...

You are totally wrong HIV is still hell, medications have just slowed the progression of its development into full blown AIDS. People on medication develop cancer, sarcoma, and diseases you couldn't even imagine

Why don't you go talk to some people with HIV Before you go around condemning their main life support system. I don't think you remember what NY was like before HASA, everyone knew someone who died because of AIDS, people were walking the streets emaciated it was like a holocaust
I know a lot of people on HIV who have regular jobs and are doing fine. If they are taking their medications and eating, as opposed to drinking massive amounts of booze, doing lots of drugs and not eating, they seem to be fine for a long time.

It's not commonly discussed but many people with HIV deteriorate much faster due to not taking care of themselves (getting blasted/wasted/stoned to the point of not remembering to take medication, not eating because high all day, not sleeping because dancing at the club and doing crystal meth and drinking all night).

Old 01-13-2017, 04:53 PM

245 posts, read 197,750 times
Quote:

quote:

I interned at gmhc when I first graduated. I definitely think HASA should stay. A lot of those people were in very poor health and need it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: