Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 09:21 PM

931 posts, read 803,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwalters View Post
All you see when you walk around NYC is an undifferentiated sea of black and brown faces, (that is, if you even notice the faces), in varying hues. Kinda sucks to be you, huh.
Get off the drugs CTWalters! The stats back up my claims. Where are your stats? You just mad cause you know I'm right. I point out the obvious!

The Bronx is NOT a diverse borough!

It's NOT diverse racially or financially!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
A place does need a huge white population to be diverse. Many different cultures and ethnicties fall under both "black" and "brown".

I would agree that most of the Bronx is lower income, but the market rate rents don't reflect that unfortunately.
Dude, had the roles been reversed and I said so and so place is diverse because it has a 14% black and brown population, you'd argue to me that 14% does not make it a diverse area when the remaining 86% of the people are white.

Come bro, wake up. Just admit it. You very well know the Bronx ain't diverse racially. Its so damn obvious. Don't kid yourself.

Old 03-19-2017, 10:46 PM

25,556 posts, read 24,029,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Oh I do, hence my comment. What you stated is what I see. Kids hanging out together isn't the same as adults intermingling. If they didn't go to the same schools, there would be little to no interaction among these ethnic groups, so yes they all live in the same neighborhoods, but generally mingle among their own. Those kids of different backgrounds interacting are the exception, not the rule. Just being honest and telling it the way it is. I generally see Africans with Africans, Dominicans with Dominicans, Indians with Indians, etc., with the occasional Puerto Rican hanging out with Black Americans.

Even in an area like Parkchester that is probably the most ethnically diverse in the Bronx outside of parts of the Concourse, the Asians stick among their own. Remember walking one day and hearing a black lady talking out loud about how "they don't like Black people", which was done purposely since she saw some Indian people walking nearby.
Many of the Black and Brown people are multiethnic. Someone might have a Jamaican parent and a AA parent. Or a AA parent and a Dominican parent. Or a Dominican parent and a Cuban parent.

People who go to school as kids together and hang out together, grow up as adults and have sex together. Some will become married or otherwise start families together.

Old 03-19-2017, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
A place does need a huge white population to be diverse. Many different cultures and ethnicties fall under both "black" and "brown".

I would agree that most of the Bronx is lower income, but the market rate rents don't reflect that unfortunately.
I think you mean a place DOES NOT need a huge white population to be diverse, and I agree. You're quite correct about the different cultures, ethnicities, and religions under so called black and brown.

Old 03-19-2017, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allpro123 View Post
Dude, had the roles been reversed and I said so and so place is diverse because it has a 14% black and brown population, you'd argue to me that 14% does not make it a diverse area when the remaining 86% of the people are white.

Come bro, wake up. Just admit it. You very well know the Bronx ain't diverse racially. Its so damn obvious. Don't kid yourself.
There's a world of difference between a place that has only 14% Black and Brown than a place that has no Black and brown.

The other thing is, white Americans who have been here for several generations just speak English, and the differences between them are not as huge as the differences between Black and Brown people in the Bronx, who speak different languages, come from different religious backgrounds and have very different cultures.

Black people in the Bronx maybe AA, maybe Sengalese or from other nations in Africa, maybe Jamaican or other Anglo Caribbean, Dominican or other Spanish speaking nation, Brazilian, Haitian (or other Franco Caribbean).

So called Brown people could be Latino, Middle Eastern, South Asian, or as "brown" is ambiguous that could be a person of African descent.

There are many different countries in Latin American, many different countries, languages, and cultures in the Middle East, and 4 countries in South Asia, as well as a host of different religions and cultures.

The problem is YOU deciding that everyone white is all the same, because you can't be bothered to actually learn anything outside of right wing news.

Old 03-19-2017, 11:07 PM

151 posts, read 154,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
There's a world of difference between a place that has only 14% Black and Brown than a place that has no Black and brown.

The other thing is, white Americans who have been here for several generations just speak English, and the differences between them are not as huge as the differences between Black and Brown people in the Bronx, who speak different languages, come from different religious backgrounds and have very different cultures.

Black people in the Bronx maybe AA, maybe Sengalese or from other nations in Africa, maybe Jamaican or other Anglo Caribbean, Dominican or other Spanish speaking nation, Brazilian, Haitian (or other Franco Caribbean).

So called Brown people could be Latino, Middle Eastern, South Asian, or as "brown" is ambiguous that could be a person of African descent.

There are many different countries in Latin American, many different countries, languages, and cultures in the Middle East, and 4 countries in South Asia, as well as a host of different religions and cultures.

The problem is YOU deciding that everyone white is all the same, because you can't be bothered to actually learn anything outside of right wing news.
I seriously can't like this comment enough. White fragility is real.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:26 AM

Quote:

^^Yeah and this coming from a gay liberal black man.^^ No bias there, right? Lol

The Bronx is NOT a diverse borough, neither racially nor or financially. Get over yourself!

Old 03-20-2017, 09:30 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,515,530 times
Quote:

That's not the same thing at all, because that would be 86% of the population being the same race.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:34 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,515,530 times
Quote:
^^Yeah and this coming from a gay liberal black man.^^ No bias there, right? Lol

The Bronx is NOT a diverse borough, neither racially nor or financially. Get over yourself!

Are you serious? He perfectly laid out why your logic is flawed.

And I would add that "brown" goes even further than what he said, Southeast Asians can be considered brown and East Asians too in my opinion.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:48 AM

12,792 posts, read 8,335,294 times
Quote:
Many of the Black and Brown people are multiethnic. Someone might have a Jamaican parent and a AA parent. Or a AA parent and a Dominican parent. Or a Dominican parent and a Cuban parent.

People who go to school as kids together and hang out together, grow up as adults and have sex together. Some will become married or otherwise start families together.
I'm well aware of that, but that doesn't change my stance. Your scenario is the exception and not the rule. Are you trying to say that such mixes or mixing in general is the norm in the Bronx? I'd beg to differ on that one. You're not going to see Indians mixing with much of anyone else. Anytime I see Indians in Parkchester, they are among their own group. Dominicans mixing with AA or other blacks? It happens, but not necessarily on a large scale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City