Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 12:22 PM

18 posts, read 15,460 times

Advertisements

Hello fellow City Data Viewers. My family and I have been thinking about buying a home (first time) in the New Dorp beach area of Staten Island. However no one has a car nor knows how to drive. Do you think it would be a feasible buy? (moving from queens here) Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 12:25 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamespra View Post
Hello fellow City Data Viewers. My family and I have been thinking about buying a home (first time) in the New Dorp beach area of Staten Island. However no one has a car nor knows how to drive. Do you think it would be a feasible buy? (moving from queens here) Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Where are you in Queens and why New Dorp Beach? Am familiar with the area. Can tell you there are express buses to Manhattan and the SIR isn't too far away depending on your location. Can also say most people drive. Just easier. Traveling with the city bus on the rock isn't the best.

Old 06-28-2017, 02:32 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:

Am here to tell you not owning a motor vehicle and or knowing how to drive is going to be a huge PITA living on Staten Island, especially that far out on the South Shore. Your only options for transit will be buses, the SIRT and taxis/Uber or similar services. That and or your own two feet.

Do people live out on the Rock without owning and or knowing how to drive? Yes, but again it isn't going to be always easy; it wasn't back in the day and now has become more so as the Island has become more built up.

As for "affordable" that is going to depend upon your finances, debts in relation to cost of the home you want and size of mortgage. You certainly should look at how close any place you are interested in is to mass transit, some sort of local shopping. You want to have at least a deli or convenience store so you can get milk, bread, and other small items in between major grocery shopping.

If you work in the city/Manhattan or anywhere off the Rock for that matter you need to also figure out how you're going to get to work and home each day. How much that will cost and the toll it will take on your nerves/health in the long run.

Personally living without a car I'd look at some place on the North Shore or even Mid-Island. Even Rosebank is easier to get to the ferry than New Dorp. The NS areas are older and more built up than South Shore thus often have local shopping and other places in walking distance.

Old 06-28-2017, 05:21 PM

19,049 posts, read 13,968,817 times
Uh, something is fishy with the two posts above mine. Anyone else catch it?

Bugsy you have a very interesting manner of speaking, and the post above yours perfectly "mimics" it. A little uncannily if I say so myself.

Old 06-28-2017, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Where are you in Queens and why New Dorp Beach? Am familiar with the area. Can tell you there are express buses to Manhattan and the SIR isn't too far away depending on your location. Can also say most people drive. Just easier. Traveling with the city bus on the rock isn't the best.
I had a good friend who purchased last year. He says the area is safe and coming up. I'm currently in Sunnyside Queens.

Old 06-28-2017, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Am here to tell you not owning a motor vehicle and or knowing how to drive is going to be a huge PITA living on Staten Island, especially that far out on the South Shore. Your only options for transit will be buses, the SIRT and taxis/Uber or similar services. That and or your own two feet.

Do people live out on the Rock without owning and or knowing how to drive? Yes, but again it isn't going to be always easy; it wasn't back in the day and now has become more so as the Island has become more built up.

As for "affordable" that is going to depend upon your finances, debts in relation to cost of the home you want and size of mortgage. You certainly should look at how close any place you are interested in is to mass transit, some sort of local shopping. You want to have at least a deli or convenience store so you can get milk, bread, and other small items in between major grocery shopping.

If you work in the city/Manhattan or anywhere off the Rock for that matter you need to also figure out how you're going to get to work and home each day. How much that will cost and the toll it will take on your nerves/health in the long run.

Personally living without a car I'd look at some place on the North Shore or even Mid-Island. Even Rosebank is easier to get to the ferry than New Dorp. The NS areas are older and more built up than South Shore thus often have local shopping and other places in walking distance.
How safe is the North Shore or Mid-Island? I work late nights and safety is a major factor for us. The older places seem to be more expensive. We've been looking at house in the under 400,000 range.

Old 06-28-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Uh, something is fishy with the two posts above mine. Anyone else catch it?

Bugsy you have a very interesting manner of speaking, and the post above yours perfectly "mimics" it. A little uncannily if I say so myself.
Catch what? Care to elaborate airborneguy ?

Old 06-28-2017, 06:33 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
How safe is the North Shore or Mid-Island? I work late nights and safety is a major factor for us. The older places seem to be more expensive. We've been looking at house in the under 400,000 range.

While there are places on the NS I wouldn't go near on a bet; there also are large swaths of it that are perfectly safe.

Much of Saint George, New Brighton, Rosebank, Silver Lake, Westerleigh, Silver Lake, Grymes Hill, Castleton Corners and so forth are perfectly if not totally fine. You just have to know where to look and where to stay away.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_..._Staten_Island

There are even areas of Mariners Harbor and Graniteville which are totally fine.

In fact as of late many are "discovering" the North Shore and as a result real estate prices and rents are rising.

Rents rise along with demand for North Shore real estate | SILive.com

North Shore boom: Real estate values soar; home prices spike | SILive.com

For those of us who know the Rock, none of this is surprising. In contrast to entire areas of nothing but townhouses and duplexes on the South Shore you can find some beautiful blocks on the North Shore with great homes. People off the Rock are just discovering Randall Manor, Livingston, parts of West Brighton and New Brighton, Ward Hill, etc... Places I've known about since was a kid.

For your purposes and the reasons many from off the Island move to the NS is ease of access to the Ferry and the "small town" feeling some these areas have. Bay Street, Forest Avenue, Castleton, and in parts Henderson Avenue along with Victory and Hylan blvds are lined with stores, restaurants, shops and so forth. So you can literally walk a few blocks (on a sidewalk) to get that gallon of milk or whatever.

Out on the South Shore that may or may not be possible depending upon how far you are from Hylan blvd or some other road with a shop or store.

Old 06-28-2017, 06:44 PM

19,049 posts, read 13,968,817 times
If you tell a realtor $400k and North Shore, they're going to hoodwink you into Mariner's Harbor.

Do. Not. Buy. In. Mariner's. Harbor.

Old 06-28-2017, 06:47 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
If you tell a realtor $400k and North Shore, they're going to hoodwink you into Mariner's Harbor.

Do. Not. Buy. In. Mariner's. Harbor.
Am in agreement. That and Port Richmond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City