Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 08:22 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,614,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post
Whats wrong with gentrification is the displacement of poor, working class, and people of color from their homes and communities.

I'm not opposed to neighborhood improvement obviously that is a great thing,

The problem is that in capitalism working class, poor, and black people can only afford neighborhoods that are slums. And when wealthy people gentrify or bring amenities to a neighborhood that was previously a slum, immediately landlords raise if the rent which pushes these mostly working class families out of neighborhoods and communities where they have built their entire lives!

And often as is the case with this restaurant, the so-called neighborhood improvements are not useful to the families that actually have lived their for generations.

Working class families have no use for artisan pickle shops you know?
I agree that displacement is a problem, but the best way to fight displacement is to build more mixed income housing. The poor/working class benefit more from having a more socioeconomically diverse environment rather than being herded into ghettos like the racist policies of the past. I believe having more rich people in NYC is a good thing, and it benefits poor and working class NYers the most. The biggest hurdle, as you said, is stopping displacement, but we shouldn't be shutting down gentrification altogether.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2017, 09:57 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,197,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
I agree that displacement is a problem, but the best way to fight displacement is to build more mixed income housing. The poor/working class benefit more from having a more socioeconomically diverse environment rather than being herded into ghettos like the racist policies of the past. I believe having more rich people in NYC is a good thing, and it benefits poor and working class NYers the most. The biggest hurdle, as you said, is stopping displacement, but we shouldn't be shutting down gentrification altogether.
Lol no it doesn't. More rich people in NYC just displaces average working families. They turn neighborhoods into their playgrounds and in the process making it unaffordable.

Old 07-30-2017, 02:15 AM

783 posts, read 576,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
The best way to fight displacement is to get educated, get a good/better job, and buy your own house. Hoping that the government allows you to live in housing at below-market prices forever is a recipe for disappointment.

Old 07-30-2017, 09:27 AM

19,051 posts, read 13,968,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonimuso View Post
The best way to fight displacement is to get educated, get a good/better job, and buy your own house. Hoping that the government allows you to live in housing at below-market prices forever is a recipe for disappointment.
This is what the underclass will never get. They look to government to solve all their problems. No one is solving your problems but YOU.

Old 07-30-2017, 12:25 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,197,365 times
Quote:
When you saying working people need to get educated to get better jobs that would allow them to buy a house, what you and the system are really saying is that some people's jobs are necessary for society to function, but they don't deserve the right to get paid enough to afford housing.

If your solution was put into practice, everyone would become a stock broker and we would have janitors, food service workers, healthcare workers etc... whose roles in society are crucial to society functioning. Am not sure why you believe these people don't deserve living wages and housing, when they are necessary roles in society

Also this recipe doesn't work. Am here to tell you I went to college, work a career, and cannot afford the astronomically inflated prices of market rate housing purchase on top of my bills.

Housing needs to be public and/or below market rate because working people cannot speculative market rate housing

Old 07-30-2017, 01:15 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,614,204 times
Quote:
When you saying working people need to get educated to get better jobs that would allow them to buy a house, what you and the system are really saying is that some people's jobs are necessary for society to function, but they don't deserve the right to get paid enough to afford housing.

If your solution was put into practice, everyone would become a stock broker and we would have janitors, food service workers, healthcare workers etc... whose roles in society are crucial to society functioning. Am not sure why you believe these people don't deserve living wages and housing, when they are necessary roles in society

Also this recipe doesn't work. Am here to tell you I went to college, work a career, and cannot afford the astronomically inflated prices of market rate housing purchase on top of my bills.

Housing needs to be public and/or below market rate because working people cannot speculative market rate housing
I don't disagree with this in principal, but in reality the city always ends up making every housing program about the very (often non-working) poor. If we were talking about the days of Mitchell-Lama's, Union Co-Ops and the like, you'd have my support. However, what's happening is DeBlasio is determined to gear everything towards the welfare poor. The Janitors, Food service workers, tradespeople, service people etc are continuing to be either pushed out or leave due to other factors (taxes, schools, and in some areas still, crime)

Old 07-30-2017, 01:45 PM

783 posts, read 576,905 times
Quote:

Well, it's a matter of supply and demand. If those people's jobs are SO necessary, then they should be able to negotiate the pay that would require them to afford housing wherever they are. You deserve what you negotiate for. If I take a job making $8 an hour, it's pretty silly of me to start complaining that $8 an hour isn't enough to live on. Did I not have a calculator handy? Have I never set a budget before?

And my solution is already "in practice" in most of this country. What we're talking about is a problem that is very unique to a handful of cities. In most parts of the U.S., if you have a decent paying job (and no, by decent paying, I don't mean $150K like it means in NYC), you can afford to live in your own house, and drive your own car. And janitors and food service workers and lower-level healthcare workers can do alright. They're not millionaires, but they do alright. You've never had to be a stockbroker to live a decent life in this country. It doesn't hurt, but plenty of working people have bought there own homes while making $35K or $40K a year. You can't use yourself as an example of how being educated and having a decent job "doesn't work" when there are literally millions of other examples that say otherwise. The issue is NYC, not the idea of getting an education and obtaining a decent/better job.

The people who rely on public housing and subsidies are only prolonging the inevitable. Governments change, priorities change. There are plenty of examples around the country of cities that had public housing developments decided that they no longer served the purpose they were intended for. And they demolished them. The people who thought that they were "safe" from the vagaries of the market found that they were still displaced. That's why I say, the best solution to fight displacement is to do whatever you can to own property of your own. It may even mean moving in the short term if you live someplace like NYC that you simply cannot afford. But in the long term, your family will have more stability.

Old 07-30-2017, 01:49 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,486,304 times
Somewhere like Co-op city seems like a good investment for a working class family.

Old 07-31-2017, 07:58 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times
The Five Families, and their predecessor gangs shot up way more commercial establishments than any of the black gangs ever did.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:46 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
True. You might be able to stay in below market housing forever, but you get what you pay for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City