Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 10:54 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,085,355 times

Advertisements

The restaurant has been open since June and it is now getting this bad PR. The owner made poor judgement in the ambiance of the restaurant. (bullet holes on 1 wall and 40oz wine bottle in paper bag) But what else is wrong with this restaurant??? Sorry but gun violence and cheap 40oz liquior are not exclusive to Brooklyn or Black people.

People calling racist, becky, wishing her business to fail, etc are on the wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2017, 11:08 AM

19,049 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Definitely a lib, 100%. You can't go around trumpeting the intolence of "right wingers" then assume one would open a hipster restaurant in a neighbor that is exclusively leftist. It's a lock that she's a lib and it's hilarious to watch them continue to eat their own.

Old 07-23-2017, 11:17 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
The restaurant has been open since June and it is now getting this bad PR. The owner made poor judgement in the ambiance of the restaurant. (bullet holes on 1 wall and 40oz wine bottle in paper bag) But what else is wrong with this restaurant??? Sorry but gun violence and cheap 40oz liquior are not exclusive to Brooklyn or Black people.

People calling racist, becky, wishing her business to fail, etc are on the wrong.
Restaurants supposedly open with a concept. This one is a stupid one that will likely put her out of business. Putting race aside, cannot understand the *draw* to a place serving wine out of paper bags. Tacky.

Old 07-23-2017, 04:58 PM

983 posts, read 932,073 times
Pretty dumb restaurant marketing.

Old 07-23-2017, 05:02 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,673,992 times
My understanding on one side:

The business filled a lot that was vacant for some time!

My understanding on the other side:

The business pitch is an absolute failure!

Old 07-23-2017, 06:00 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post
That's outrageous.

Many of the landlords in Crown Heights are wealthy right-wing Wall Street type bankers speculating on the hood trying make money off of people's displacement. The owner could be right-wing or liberal I don't care, but I'm almost 100% it was not a leftist. Regardless I'm more concerned with the persons class-character as a wealthy business owner and racist stereotyper than I am with what the persons personal opinion might be on LGBT rights or Trumpcare
Very good points here. It doesn't matter whether she is "left" or "right". What matters is what she is trying to achieve, and what relationship she has with the community.

Old 07-23-2017, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Definitely a lib, 100%. You can't go around trumpeting the intolence of "right wingers" then assume one would open a hipster restaurant in a neighbor that is exclusively leftist. It's a lock that she's a lib and it's hilarious to watch them continue to eat their own.
The rent is cheap, and of course right wingers do business in poor neighborhoods all the time. Travis Kalanick was on Trump's advisory council, and he has Uber operate everywhere, even in poor neighborhoods. Many of the people driving Uber or Lyft are from the "hood". Those companies do not care, they are all about making money.

If there is MONEY to be made, of course a conservative person is going to operate their business wherever there is money to be made. Ayn Rand calls this rational self interest and a lot of politicians and business people follow her tenants.

In a way, right wingers like Kalanick are a lot more progressive than the "conservatives" on this forum, as well as the "leftists" on this forum. They are about finding ways to make money, if it suits them they will do business anywhere and with anyone. And they actually filled gaps in transportation (ride sharing cheaper and more convenient than riding taxis). To think, "right" wing people can make positive change without wanting to lock everyone in jail over stupid things, or use mass incarceration.

Which is why I do not like those who call themselves "right" wingers in the context of NYC. No innovation from this group, it was all about supporting Giuliani/Bloomberg's police state. California and Western right wingers (CEOs who made major companies who often vote Republican) will openly admit much of their innovation comes when they get stoned and have successfully pushed for the legalization of cannabis and lead the fight in ending the war against drugs.

Old 07-23-2017, 06:39 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
The restaurant owner and the OP very likely vote the same way.

Old 07-23-2017, 06:43 PM

783 posts, read 576,740 times
So what do these protesters want, exactly? If they don't like her store, don't go there. If they're trying to force her out, I think that's silly. Talk to the person about what you think is wrong if she'll listen. But stop trying to intimidate her into leaving, which I think is the point of these protests.

And I just checked the Google reviews and, of course, a bunch of 1 star 'reviews' from people who have probably never set foot in the place, all talking about gentrification and how 'offensive' the place is. That's just wrong.

Old 07-23-2017, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonimuso View Post
So what do these protesters want, exactly? If they don't like her store, don't go there. If they're trying to force her out, I think that's silly. Talk to the person about what you think is wrong if she'll listen. But stop trying to intimidate her into leaving, which I think is the point of these protests.

And I just checked the Google reviews and, of course, a bunch of 1 star 'reviews' from people who have probably never set foot in the place, all talking about gentrification and how 'offensive' the place is. That's just wrong.
The constitution gives people the right to protest and freedom of speech. They are free to say they don't like her business, and they are free to tell people not go there. They cannot force her to close and they may not use violence against her or her business. Of course people are free to criticize the protesters. As for potential customers, they are free to listen to the protesters and boycott her restaurant or they are free to ignore the protesters and go to the restaurant.

You say the protesters should to talk the person they think is wrong, so are you talking to the protesters who you think are wrong?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City