Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 08:32 PM

922 posts, read 3,864,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The tolls are high for a reason. The government doesn't want random day trippers to drive into the CBD of Manhattan and cause even more congestion than there already is.
I laugh out loud every time I read or hear a statement like this. C'mon, The MTA is doing the public a favor by charging insane amounts of money for necessary service?

Why are tolls so expensive? Because the MTA can extract a lucrative source of cash from a necessity over which they have a monoply. It's not just joyriders and daytrippers coming in. It's also plumbers, electricians, food distributors and every other small business that has customers in Manhattan. I work in an office, but even I drive to work in Manhattan a few times a month. Why? Because I have to. Sometimes my job requires me visit our warehouse in NJ or I might have an appointment in the burbs. Why do I pay the tolls? Because I have to. It's difficult for some NY'ers to understand that some people actually need to use their vehicles for work.

AND tolls are not even a deterrent. Six bucks to go through a tunnel is nothing compared to the $42 parking fee. If you've decided you want to drive into the city and pony up the parking fees, the toll isn't going to stop you.*

Big suspension bridges in other parts of the US, such as the Walt Whitman and the Tacoma Narrows bridges charge $3 tolls. Geez... even crossing the Golden Gate bridge costs $5, less than any bridge or tunnel in NYC.

* same reason why "Congestion Pricing" is a farce, but that's another argument for another thread...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2008, 02:35 PM

8,703 posts, read 11,108,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
If $10 a gallon takes hold we will be worrying about far worse things than traffic.
that was the arugument when they said gas would hit $3 and now it will hit $4 a gallon. In many parts of europe & asia, gas tops over $8 per gallon and they seem to be doing fine. If gas hit $10 in US, many of us would adjust eventually

Old 03-15-2008, 11:04 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,380,155 times
Yeah but the pattern of development in Europe and Asia has been VERY different compared to what we have. In Europe and Asia they don't have quite the extendt of low-density suburbs as we do in the USA. So expensive gasoline doesn't effect them nearly as much as it does to people in the USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
that was the arugument when they said gas would hit $3 and now it will hit $4 a gallon. In many parts of europe & asia, gas tops over $8 per gallon and they seem to be doing fine. If gas hit $10 in US, many of us would adjust eventually

Old 03-16-2008, 01:33 AM

20 posts, read 98,549 times
Quote:
if tolls cost so much, why are the DAMM TUNNELS STILL JAMMED UP THE WHAAZOOO?!?!!?

No kidding.

<sarcasm>
Boy, how I love the new $8 toll at the Holland. It's a breeze!
</sarcasm>

Old 03-17-2008, 08:30 AM

8,703 posts, read 11,108,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Yeah but the pattern of development in Europe and Asia has been VERY different compared to what we have. In Europe and Asia they don't have quite the extendt of low-density suburbs as we do in the USA. So expensive gasoline doesn't effect them nearly as much as it does to people in the USA.
that is half true imho. Europe as a whole is smaller than US. Americans can't deny that we have a love affair with giant SUVS/Vans. We favor having so many cars per household. I live on LI and people like my next door neighbor has 7 cars in one home. Its maddening!

Old 03-17-2008, 09:50 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,976,511 times
Quote:
that is half true imho. Europe as a whole is smaller than US. Americans can't deny that we have a love affair with giant SUVS/Vans. We favor having so many cars per household. I live on LI and people like my next door neighbor has 7 cars in one home. Its maddening!
too bad you get so worked up over your neighbors possessions, it must be nice not having your own problems to deal with that you have the time to solve everyone else's

Old 03-17-2008, 09:56 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,009,104 times
Sirtiger..don't concern yourself with that one's comments....your point was fair, valid, and well taken.

Old 03-17-2008, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
Sirtiger..don't concern yourself with that one's comments....your point was fair, valid, and well taken.
actually it's none of anyone's damned business if I want to own a dozen suvs, if you or anyone else don't approve, I don't care!

Old 03-17-2008, 05:58 PM

510 posts, read 2,245,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
actually it's none of anyone's damned business if I want to own a dozen suvs, if you or anyone else don't approve, I don't care!
The environment thanks you!

And actually it is our concern since we are paying taxes that subsidize your gas prices.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffcon0 View Post
The environment thanks you!

And actually it is our concern since we are paying taxes that subsidize your gas prices.
this should be good!
please elaborate on what taxes YOU pay to subsidize any one's gas purchases
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City