Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 05:35 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,479,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJBronxite2 View Post
I'm currently 27 years old and I have a Bachelors in Business Administration with a concentration in HR management. I'm currently working for a non-profit organization that specializes in scatter site and transitional housing. My job title is "program assistant" which is the same as an executive assistant except I not only assistant the VP of the company, but 15 other programs as well. Here I have experience in recruiting, database administrator, coordinating purchasing for our sites, file keeping, conflict resolution etc.

However, even though I have all this experience I find it hard to find another job, I really want to transition into an HR career since that is what I studied in college. My current salary is $42,000 but I feel that's really not much living in this city.

Can anyone offer some advice, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you.
It is tough to find a job today. I understand H.R. to be especially tough. I am currently looking for a new position myself. I would recommend that you post your resume everywhere. Send it to recruiters and go on the websites of the companies that you are interested in.

The best time to find a job is when you have one. Keep looking! Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2017, 06:11 AM

36 posts, read 71,025 times
Have you considered or are considering getting a masters degree? Its not easy finding a well paying job in the city. But you can may be able to consider applying for city jobs, Explore Careers | Jobs | City of New York

That and posting your resume as much as possible to all platforms. Hope it all works out.

Old 11-12-2017, 07:40 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
My advice to folks on here looking for a new job. Just try to be patient, finding a new job is not easy at all in NYC especially when you factor in 8 million people, and than factor in half of the city has a 4 year degree. The amount of people in NYC with 4 year degrees are higher than the national average, this makes competition real difficult. Try to network, as much as possible. On your lunch break, try to attend a quick job fair of any. Reach out to your college alumni for assistance. Reach out to your Greek fraternal organizations if possible. Another great way to find a job is through volunteering. I met a woman who with no college degree, volunteered for a health firm which ended up giving her a position with $$$$$.

If your in a dead end job and its not going anywhere and no one wants to hire you. It's either your best bet to quit, or possibly get yourself fired. Dead end jobs are major time wasters for both the employee, but also for the employer because they are people out there that wont mind doing a dead end job. Apply with a temp agency to build up your skills set for about a year and try to get hired in desirable jobs which are looking for the skillsets that you have or near to it. Just fire away your resume as much as possible. Also avoid online job sites as much as possible, employers that post jobs through online websites mainly look for top candidates. I used to go to job fairs where they discuss your resume. Not having a 4 year college degree, you automatically loose 50 points on a scoring scale by hiring managers. Not known Microsoft word, excel, outlook and power point is an additional 25 points lost against your resume by hiring managers. Not having a professional email address is a loss of 5 points. Try to create a functional resume that displays leadership roles in the past, technical skill set and communication skills.

Old 11-12-2017, 08:38 AM

343 posts, read 254,269 times
Manhattan in particular is a doozy of a place to land jobs. Im guessing it is probably easier landing positions in outer boroughs.

Old 11-12-2017, 08:46 AM

8 posts, read 29,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
My advice to folks on here looking for a new job. Just try to be patient, finding a new job is not easy at all in NYC especially when you factor in 8 million people, and than factor in half of the city has a 4 year degree. The amount of people in NYC with 4 year degrees are higher than the national average, this makes competition real difficult. Try to network, as much as possible. On your lunch break, try to attend a quick job fair of any. Reach out to your college alumni for assistance. Reach out to your Greek fraternal organizations if possible. Another great way to find a job is through volunteering. I met a woman who with no college degree, volunteered for a health firm which ended up giving her a position with $$$$$.

If your in a dead end job and its not going anywhere and no one wants to hire you. It's either your best bet to quit, or possibly get yourself fired. Dead end jobs are major time wasters for both the employee, but also for the employer because they are people out there that wont mind doing a dead end job. Apply with a temp agency to build up your skills set for about a year and try to get hired in desirable jobs which are looking for the skillsets that you have or near to it. Just fire away your resume as much as possible. Also avoid online job sites as much as possible, employers that post jobs through online websites mainly look for top candidates. I used to go to job fairs where they discuss your resume. Not having a 4 year college degree, you automatically loose 50 points on a scoring scale by hiring managers. Not known Microsoft word, excel, outlook and power point is an additional 25 points lost against your resume by hiring managers. Not having a professional email address is a loss of 5 points. Try to create a functional resume that displays leadership roles in the past, technical skill set and communication skills.
This is all great advice and there's things in here that I didn't know about.

Do you recommend we don't post our resumes on sites like indeed or Monster unless we have the credentials of a top candidate?

My biggest problem with temp agencies is the risk involved.

1) Will I be able to make enough to continue paying for my rent?

2) When/if my contract runs out how difficult is it going to be to find another gig?

Old 11-12-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FS22 View Post
Manhattan in particular is a doozy of a place to land jobs. Im guessing it is probably easier landing positions in outer boroughs.
This is true, however the pay will be less in some regards.

Old 11-12-2017, 08:53 AM

4,767 posts, read 6,555,721 times
I work as an hiring Coordinator for thr company I work with. I came across a well talented individual who graduated from Pennsylvania University which is an ivy league school. Even this guy could not find a job and he is willing to do temp. And another who went to Columbia and could she too could not find a job. The Penn state grad graduated with a degree in poltical science, while the Columbia grad graduated on language studies. These degrees are worthless in NYC. I told the Pennsylvania state grad to look at jobs in DC. DC is a better fit for folks who have degrees in poltical science to criminal justice. If not DC check your state Capitol. Language studies? Who is going to hire that. I myself had to build up my skillset in the past year to look more marketable.

Are you talking about the University of Pennsylvania, which is a private Ivy League school, or Penn State, which is part of the state university system in Pennsylvania?

I can't believe someone involved in hiring would confuse the two.

Old 11-12-2017, 09:18 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
I work as an hiring Coordinator for thr company I work with. I came across a well talented individual who graduated from Pennsylvania University which is an ivy league school. Even this guy could not find a job and he is willing to do temp. And another who went to Columbia and could she too could not find a job. The Penn state grad graduated with a degree in poltical science, while the Columbia grad graduated on language studies. These degrees are worthless in NYC. I told the Pennsylvania state grad to look at jobs in DC. DC is a better fit for folks who have degrees in poltical science to criminal justice. If not DC check your state Capitol. Language studies? Who is going to hire that. I myself had to build up my skillset in the past year to look more marketable.

Are you talking about the University of Pennsylvania, which is a private Ivy League school, or Penn State, which is part of the state university system in Pennsylvania?

Must've received the job based on who he knows and not because of any skills or smarts.

Old 11-12-2017, 09:43 AM

343 posts, read 254,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Must've received the job based on who he knows and not because of any skills or smarts.
I attended a lecture by a well known recruiter in Manhattan. It was about job searching. The recruiter said 85% of jobs are given to people the way you described pierre. That is why a lot of people with decent jobs dont know their asses from a hole in the ground.

Old 11-12-2017, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post

The ivy league school known as Pennsylvania University. How did I know it was the Ivy league school? He posted the address on the resume. I did not confuse the too, but was just too excited about posting what I saw. Sorry for the typo.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 11-12-2017 at 10:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: