Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 05:21 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,753,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I work as an hiring Coordinator for thr company I work with. I came across a well talented individual who graduated from Pennsylvania University which is an ivy league school. Even this guy could not find a job and he is willing to do temp. And another who went to Columbia and could she too could not find a job. The Penn state grad graduated with a degree in poltical science, while the Columbia grad graduated on language studies. These degrees are worthless in NYC. I told the Pennsylvania state grad to look at jobs in DC. DC is a better fit for folks who have degrees in poltical science to criminal justice. If not DC check your state Capitol. Language studies? Who is going to hire that. I myself had to build up my skillset in the past year to look more marketable.
That's surprising that someone from University of Pennsylavnia was unable to find a job in a big city like New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2017, 05:43 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,007,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
That was then. This is *now*.

Again, nothing has really changed. Except that for certain things people depend way too much upon spell and or grammar check built into their device/computer. That and or websites like Grammerly.

However it still is the case for persons employed at a certain level someone in the background "cleans up" their written responses before they are sent out into the world. Donald Trump comes to mind along with again scores of other "powerful" men or whatever in New York.

As one stated, watch CUNY or NYCgov and listen to some high placed commissioners, deputies, and so forth. Even when what they are reading is obviously grammatically correct you still get plenty of "dese, dems, and dose". Not to mention "um" and "er" after nearly every other work or sentence.

Watched one young hot shot of Bill de Boob's administration give testimony before CC on NYCGov. Had to turn the channel after two minutes. Every other word out of the guys mouth was "err, ummm, err, umm".

Old 11-11-2017, 06:46 PM

343 posts, read 254,754 times
Its hard to make any blanket statements here but overall NYC is the toughest job market I have ever encountered.

If it was hard for anybody reading, I can relate. NYC's job market is a killer for some people, but not everybody.

Old 11-11-2017, 06:51 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,054,327 times
Quote:
That was then. This is *now*.
What is your efffing problem bub? Do you want people like me to actually fail at life? Come on! Besides me. Do you speak the King's English? Do you expect every single person in NYC to sound and have grammar on par to Tom Brokaw? Or do you want a bottle of Grey Poupon?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwOCOm9Z0YE

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 11-11-2017 at 07:03 PM..

Old 11-11-2017, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
That's surprising that someone from University of Pennsylavnia was unable to find a job in a big city like New York.
I agree, however this guy graduated in Spring. His college should have placed him or assist him with job referrals here in NYC. NYC is full of Ivy league grads due to the fact that the city is an elite city.

Old 11-11-2017, 07:06 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,753,684 times
Quote:
I agree, however this guy graduated in Spring. His college should have placed him or assist him with job referrals here in NYC. NYC is full of Ivy league grads due to the fact that the city is an elite city.
Usually a ivy league grad has someone looking for a job for them and then they are contacted about a interview.

Old 11-11-2017, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
Usually a ivy league grad has someone looking for a job for them and then they are contacted about a interview.
Exactly. Can you do me a favor? A poster on here named Nywriterdude is a graduate from an Ivy League school. Lets ask him did anyone help him search for a job due to the fact he is an elite?

Old 11-11-2017, 07:34 PM

343 posts, read 254,754 times
Quote:

Or do you want a bottle of Grey Poupon?

Sorry but that is exactly how I think pierre looks like LOL

Old 11-12-2017, 03:43 AM

12,791 posts, read 8,300,808 times
Quote:
What is your efffing problem bub? Do you want people like me to actually fail at life? Come on! Besides me. Do you speak the King's English? Do you expect every single person in NYC to sound and have grammar on par to Tom Brokaw? Or do you want a bottle of Grey Poupon?

Cannot fathom how people like you with atrocious grammar can land any decent jobs. Am standing by my comments. P.S. Grey Poupon is disgusting.

Old 11-12-2017, 05:26 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,320,015 times
Quote:
Cannot fathom how people like you with atrocious grammar can land any decent jobs. Am standing by my comments. P.S. Grey Poupon is disgusting.
Shouldn't you start your sentances with "I'm" instead of "am"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: