Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 08:09 AM

8 posts, read 29,672 times

Advertisements

I'm currently 27 years old and I have a Bachelors in Business Administration with a concentration in HR management. I'm currently working for a non-profit organization that specializes in scatter site and transitional housing. My job title is "program assistant" which is the same as an executive assistant except I not only assistant the VP of the company, but 15 other programs as well. Here I have experience in recruiting, database administrator, coordinating purchasing for our sites, file keeping, conflict resolution etc.

However, even though I have all this experience I find it hard to find another job, I really want to transition into an HR career since that is what I studied in college. My current salary is $42,000 but I feel that's really not much living in this city.

Can anyone offer some advice, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2017, 08:13 AM

532 posts, read 787,130 times
you have a BA and yet your salary is like 42k
damn, glad i'm in the tech business.
you'd find jobs
you need to have experience and skills that companies are looking for.
so i suggest you apply for at least 100 jobs a day.
that's what i did when i was done with school and my internship

Old 11-09-2017, 08:28 AM

2,179 posts, read 1,862,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJBronxite2 View Post
I'm currently 27 years old and I have a Bachelors in Business Administration with a concentration in HR management. I'm currently working for a non-profit organization that specializes in scatter site and transitional housing. My job title is "program assistant" which is the same as an executive assistant except I not only assistant the VP of the company, but 15 other programs as well. Here I have experience in recruiting, database administrator, coordinating purchasing for our sites, file keeping, conflict resolution etc.

However, even though I have all this experience I find it hard to find another job, I really want to transition into an HR career since that is what I studied in college. My current salary is $42,000 but I feel that's really not much living in this city.

Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WANTNYCAPART View Post
you have a BA and yet your salary is like 42k
damn, glad i'm in the tech business.
you'd find jobs
you need to have experience and skills that companies are looking for.
so i suggest you apply for at least 100 jobs a day.
that's what i did when i was done with school and my internship
His salary is that because of the industry, while there are exceptions, non profits generally don't pay as much unless he was working with the charitable/community investment dept on the corporate side or a non profit that was backed by a very successful hedge fund, for example, the Robin Hood Foundation.

To the OP, I would suggest that you utilize recruiters, LinkedIn, Glass Door etc, also tailor your resume to exactly what you are looking for. I would also suggest that you go the the job page of companies you are interested in, create a profile and apply directly.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:31 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,083,522 times
I agree with Marsha. You're in the wrong industry (non-profit) if you want to make $$$.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:44 AM

14,054 posts, read 13,934,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJBronxite2 View Post

Thank you.
42k is proverty level wage in NYC or any hot city

Old 11-09-2017, 08:56 AM

8,691 posts, read 11,078,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
42k is proverty level wage in NYC or any hot city
deblasio loves poverty level workers and homelessness. Build more affordable housing and everyone will come!

Old 11-09-2017, 09:13 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,616,423 times
Get out of non profit. Software Engineers make pittance there even. It's depressing. "You're doing it for a cause" until your contract is up and you're on the streets with no savings to sustain your lifestyle. The only thing worse is working in Asia where you're working 12-14 hour days making even less usually as a secondary citizen. BAD

You will probably make more in NYC. Keep your job, apply for jobs here, where you are, and anywhere else you'd like to be. Use your position, experience, and known/averaged COL calculations to leverage your future position and jump when you get the offer that you desire in a place that you'd like to be or at least can tolerate. It's easier to get a job when you have a job.

Old 11-09-2017, 09:24 AM

8,691 posts, read 11,078,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
Get out of non profit.
if everyone had that attitude, non profit would fall off the cliff. Some people out there actually love working in the non profit world. Its not always about the bucks

Old 11-09-2017, 10:51 AM

8 posts, read 29,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshabrady View Post
His salary is that because of the industry, while there are exceptions, non profits generally don't pay as much unless he was working with the charitable/community investment dept on the corporate side or a non profit that was backed by a very successful hedge fund, for example, the Robin Hood Foundation.

To the OP, I would suggest that you utilize recruiters, LinkedIn, Glass Door etc, also tailor your resume to exactly what you are looking for. I would also suggest that you go the the job page of companies you are interested in, create a profile and apply directly.

How much of a salary difference should I be expecting from an employer outside of the non-profit sector?

Old 11-09-2017, 11:34 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
I work as an hiring Coordinator for thr company I work with. I came across a well talented individual who graduated from Pennsylvania University which is an ivy league school. Even this guy could not find a job and he is willing to do temp. And another who went to Columbia and could she too could not find a job. The Penn state grad graduated with a degree in poltical science, while the Columbia grad graduated on language studies. These degrees are worthless in NYC. I told the Pennsylvania state grad to look at jobs in DC. DC is a better fit for folks who have degrees in poltical science to criminal justice. If not DC check your state Capitol. Language studies? Who is going to hire that. I myself had to build up my skillset in the past year to look more marketable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: