Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 01:59 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,642,159 times

Advertisements

A lazy and/or stupid traffic cop gave me a ticket for an expired meter in Brooklyn. I continued to fill up the hourly limit and displayed each of the ticket receipts on my windshield. I saw the traffic cop giving other cars tickets and walked up to tell her that my vehicle has 3 ticket receipts on my windshield and that she needed to look for the most recent & unexpired one. She gave me a blank stare and didn't even bother to say anything. I assumed she got my message and was just being another cranky bureaucrat who is unwilling to show the least amount of friendliness or care. I returned to the car about 25 minutes later and there was the ticket. It was written based off an expired meter ticket and not the most recent & unexpired one. I guess she didn't even bother to look at each of the ticket receipts or she would have realized that one had not yet expired.

I want to dispute the ticket ($35) but the car is owned and registered under my friend's name. I am borrowing her car for the next month while she is out of town. I want to make sure that she is not involved in any capacity. If I were to email my evidence and be set for a hearing date, can I show up to dispute the charge even if the owner of the car is not present?

Also Can the ticket be dismissed through online evidence or must I make an appearance?

I would pay 35 bucks and avoid the hassle but I think this sad excuse for a meter maid should be held accountable for the inconvenience she has caused for her careless mistake. I plan on calling 311 to complain about her.

Anyways, what do you feel are my best options ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 02:12 PM

387 posts, read 559,150 times
Dispute it if you have the proof. I hate TEA's. Lol

You can do it online , just take pictures of the meter receipt and submit it

Old 12-21-2017, 02:34 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,929,858 times
The traffic agent was an idiot.. She could have simply given you a ticket for "improperly displayed receipt", which would have been impossible to fight! Agents are not going look thru all the receipts on your dash just to find the active one...
They wont even look to see if its on the left side.. Lucky it wasn't upside down or sideways...
But now you can fight the ticket since it was under expired, and you do have proof that it was in fact not.

Old 12-21-2017, 04:49 PM

782 posts, read 527,522 times
You're actually not technically allowed to feed the meter. The rule is you're only allowed to park up to the time limit and then you have to move the car.

https://www.wnyc.org/story/feeding-m...ually-illegal/

Obviously people feed the meter all the time where they'll come back, add more money, and replace the old receipt with the new receipt. The meter maids can't really tell if people have been feeding the meters or not.

In your case, it sounds like you 1) put multiple receipts on the windshield so it was blatant that you were breaking the rules, and 2) you actually went to the meter maid and told her to just look at the most recent receipt.

Sounds like you made a couple of dumb mistakes. I doubt your appeal would be successful.

Old 12-21-2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayLove View Post
The traffic agent was an idiot.. She could have simply given you a ticket for "improperly displayed receipt", which would have been impossible to fight! Agents are not going look thru all the receipts on your dash just to find the active one...
They wont even look to see if its on the left side.. Lucky it wasn't upside down or sideways...
But now you can fight the ticket since it was under expired, and you do have proof that it was in fact not.
I know a couple of people who received tickets because the receipts were not visible (the receipts fell to the floor or were turned upside down accidentally). I think all they had to do was submit a copy of the receipt to successfully appeal.

Old 12-21-2017, 05:06 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC305 View Post
I know a couple of people who received tickets because the receipts were not visible (the receipts fell to the floor or were turned upside down accidentally). I think all they had to do was submit a copy of the receipt to successfully appeal.

Yes, but we're not on that right now.

OP had *THREE* receipts displayed in vehicle window clearly indicating he violated parking rules by remaining in same spot longer than allowed.

NYC Street Parking | NYC Parking | NYC meter

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/micha..._b_111120.html

Contrary to what some believe and or local custom you are *NOT* normally allowed to use metered parking for long term (several hours). Yes, people who own businesses or for whatever reasons park in a spot and run out to "feed the meter" for several hours, but that does not change the law.

Parking spaces are at a premium in most of NYC and especially Manhattan. Complaints have been increasing about everyone from Fresh Direct, Amazon and other delivery/commercial vehicles right down to privately owned "hogging" metered parking spaces for several hours. It just isn't fair to anyone else.

Old 12-21-2017, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Yes, but we're not on that right now.

OP had *THREE* receipts displayed in vehicle window clearly indicating he violated parking rules by remaining in same spot longer than allowed.

NYC Street Parking | NYC Parking | NYC meter

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/micha..._b_111120.html

Contrary to what some believe and or local custom you are *NOT* normally allowed to use metered parking for long term (several hours). Yes, people who own businesses or for whatever reasons park in a spot and run out to "feed the meter" for several hours, but that does not change the law.

Parking spaces are at a premium in most of NYC and especially Manhattan. Complaints have been increasing about everyone from Fresh Direct, Amazon and other delivery/commercial vehicles right down to privately owned "hogging" metered parking spaces for several hours. It just isn't fair to anyone else.
You accidentally skipped over my first post where I said the same thing as you.

Old 12-21-2017, 05:21 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterns45 View Post
A lazy and/or stupid traffic cop gave me a ticket for an expired meter in Brooklyn. I continued to fill up the hourly limit and displayed each of the ticket receipts on my windshield. I saw the traffic cop giving other cars tickets and walked up to tell her that my vehicle has 3 ticket receipts on my windshield and that she needed to look for the most recent & unexpired one. She gave me a blank stare and didn't even bother to say anything. I assumed she got my message and was just being another cranky bureaucrat who is unwilling to show the least amount of friendliness or care. I returned to the car about 25 minutes later and there was the ticket. It was written based off an expired meter ticket and not the most recent & unexpired one. I guess she didn't even bother to look at each of the ticket receipts or she would have realized that one had not yet expired.

I want to dispute the ticket ($35) but the car is owned and registered under my friend's name. I am borrowing her car for the next month while she is out of town. I want to make sure that she is not involved in any capacity. If I were to email my evidence and be set for a hearing date, can I show up to dispute the charge even if the owner of the car is not present?

Also Can the ticket be dismissed through online evidence or must I make an appearance?

I would pay 35 bucks and avoid the hassle but I think this sad excuse for a meter maid should be held accountable for the inconvenience she has caused for her careless mistake. I plan on calling 311 to complain about her.

Anyways, what do you feel are my best options ?

First and foremost parking tickets are processed electronically; in a matter of < 48 hours it is likely a copy of said ticket has been sent by mail to registered owner of vehicle. If your friend is as you say out of town, she won't get the ticket until return, but make no mistake as owner of vehicle she is already *involved*.

Your situation is no different than anyone else who rents, uses, borrows or whatever a vehicle that does not belong to them; tickets are sent to registered owner. People have gotten parking tickets on rental cars where the company received notice in about one or two days and charged their credit card accordingly.

Moving violations would be another matter, those involve the person operating motor vehicle at the time.

You *can* send in your dispute by mail or online, or go downtown and do it in person. Quite honestly for the time and effort versus cost I'd just pay the $35 and consider it a lesson learned.

Disputing parking tickets is like going to Las Vegas; the odds are stacked clearly in favor of the house. You *might* get a percentage knocked off but rarely are things dismissed totally. In your situation cannot see any grounds for appeal. You parked for several hours in a spot with a time limit. Thus in theory after your first meter payment expired you were in that spot illegally. This is likely why the PEA wrote you a ticket for an "expired meter". Your feeding the meter (so to speak) means or meant nothing because you weren't supposed to be in that spot longer than one hour regardless.

Old 12-21-2017, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC305 View Post
You're actually not technically allowed to feed the meter. The rule is you're only allowed to park up to the time limit and then you have to move the car.

https://www.wnyc.org/story/feeding-m...ually-illegal/

Obviously people feed the meter all the time where they'll come back, add more money, and replace the old receipt with the new receipt. The meter maids can't really tell if people have been feeding the meters or not.

In your case, it sounds like you 1) put multiple receipts on the windshield so it was blatant that you were breaking the rules, and 2) you actually went to the meter maid and told her to just look at the most recent receipt.

Sounds like you made a couple of dumb mistakes. I doubt your appeal would be successful.
The Receipt started at 104 and expired at 1:21. She came around at 159. The second receipt was already active at 141 and would expire at 241 so I am assuming she got me for the lapsed time between 121 and 141 ?

Nonetheless, I was there for 1 hour based off the two most recent receipts. The third one should not matter because it was not cited in the ticket. I will be using the most recent two receipts alongside the parking ticket for dispute evidence.

Old 12-21-2017, 06:10 PM

I will pay it and consider it a lesson learned. The areas of NJ that I usually drive through require parking permits or have the old fashion coin meters. In that case you can just feed and feed without having to waste paper on a receipt or worrying about the city having your bank card on file.

An advantage of the old meter system is that each meter corresponds to just one car which means that if you can park far enough back from it then you're free from having to pay.

For muni meters, All cars must oblige
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: