Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 03:34 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,486,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
All three of these areas have good and bad sections, but at least the bad sections aren't ghetto, but more so old working class areas that just happen to turn more brown over the years. Still they are not ghetto, have access to subways lines, and are affordable per NYC standards. Plus this is NYC, if you can't deal with a little grime, this ain't the place for you.
I agree. And OP is from The Bronx so I'm sure she can handle it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2017, 03:37 PM

37,155 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Are you also looking at parts of the Bronx? If you’re looking for space, affordability and a decent commute to Midtown, then it seems sensible to look there as well as in Queens.

Old 12-27-2017, 03:42 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Are you also looking at parts of the Bronx? If you’re looking for space, affordability and a decent commute to Midtown, then it seems sensible to look there as well as in Queens.
The OP is from the Bronx and knows it pretty well. She moved to Queens because she wanted an easier commute and more amenities.

Old 12-27-2017, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
All three of these areas have good and bad sections, but at least the bad sections aren't ghetto, but more so old working class areas that just happen to turn more brown over the years. Still they are not ghetto, have access to subways lines, and are affordable per NYC standards. Plus this is NYC, if you can't deal with a little grime, this ain't the place for you.
You're right, but Woodhaven has dog crap everywhere and is dirtier than most areas. Just imagine the OP going to run for the subway there and stepping in some. The main strips are also unattractive (Jamaica Avenues and Atlantic Avenues). The small part of Woodhaven above Jamaica Avenue is cleaner and better (the closer to Forest Park the better).

Old 12-27-2017, 03:48 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,486,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
You're right, but Woodhaven has dog crap everywhere and is dirtier than most areas. Just imagine the OP going to run for the subway there and stepping in some. The main strips are also unattractive (Jamaica Avenues and Atlantic Avenues). The small part of Woodhaven above Jamaica Avenue is cleaner and better (the closer to Forest Park the better).
The dog crap thing is a problem in plenty of otherwise livable neighborboods

Old 12-27-2017, 03:51 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,995 times
Quote:
When has dog crap stopped anyone lol... Bushwick had so much pitbull crap when I was growing up that one of my friends steped on s**t 3 times in one day lol...however that kind of stuff only attracts transplants. Usually people that grew up in crappy areas don't want to ever see that stuff again if they can afford it.

Old 12-27-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
When has dog crap stopped anyone lol... Bushwick had so much pitbull crap when I was growing up that one of my friends steped on s**t 3 times in one day lol...however that kind of stuff only attracts transplants. Usually people that grew up in crappy areas don't want to ever see that stuff again if they can afford it.
I'm just saying. I think Woodhaven is in decline and has been for some time. I personally would not buy there unless it was north of Jamaica Avenue near the park, and even there I would be weary. I would pick Middle Village over Woodhaven in a heart beat, but Middle Village will cost much more. For the OP there's the M train or the QM24 and QM34 express (West and East Side) buses to Midtown. I mean really... The OP is coming from Astoria... Woodhaven is a step down from that perspective. Astoria has good restaurants... Middle Village while mainly Italian has some good spots as well.

Old 12-27-2017, 04:03 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,769,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post
LOL, I'm already in the flight path. Plus where I grew up in the Bronx was also in the flight path. Doesn't really bother me. I dated a guy for a few years who lived really close to Terminal A, and it wasn't any louder at his place than at mine.
Yeah, you do get used to it in time. Whenever I stay over my mom's place in Flushing, you hear planes constantly. But it doesn't bother me as much as it did initially.

Old 12-27-2017, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
The dog crap thing is a problem in plenty of otherwise livable neighborboods
Aside from the dog crap problem, I find the neighborhood dirty, particularly south of Jamaica Avenue, and dare I say it, but I don't know if the changing demographics have an impact on it or not, but oddly enough Astoria is very mixed these days and it isn't like that there. I think the demographic is more ghetto in Woodhaven, given how mixed Astoria is these days and more expensive too. I'm sure that makes a difference. Someone paying $2,000+ for an one bedroom renovated apartment is probably going to care more about the upkeep of the neighborhood versus numerous people packed in a house who may just throw their trash all over the place. That's the impression I got of Woodhaven, that with so many poorer immigrants moving in that there isn't as much unity and pride in the upkeep of the area, and that surely affects property values, and not in a good way.

Old 12-27-2017, 04:18 PM

37,155 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
The OP is from the Bronx and knows it pretty well. She moved to Queens because she wanted an easier commute and more amenities.
Sure she is, it’s in her screen name. However, pretty much nobody knows a borough in its entirety because boroughs are big. She also might not be getting an easier commute if she’s looking as far out in Queens as her budget and requirements indicate. If you’re commuting to midtown from as far out as Jamaica or Woodhaven, then you might as well consider Bedford Park or Pelham Parkway, or even *gasp* Parkchester.

Too much head smacking might start rattling the brain a bit, so you might want to lay off the smack.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 12-27-2017 at 04:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City