Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 08:42 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times

Advertisements

https://nypost.com/2018/01/15/cuomo-...-block-in-nyc/

This could mean higher priced taxis including Uber, deliveries, and food prices for NYers. The money has to come from somewhere to fix the subway system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2018, 09:20 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,358,452 times
100% with Cuomo on this. Every ****ing idiot in NYC who can "afford" it is getting a car. To be honest, I think single car households shouldn't be taxed at all. Tax all the *******s with 2+ cars. Create a tax credit for households with no car. Give a tax break to businesses who are willing to pay for their employees public transportation costs or drive employees from their homes to work and back.

Call me a commie, I don't care. I know we have high taxes as it is. My wife and I pay plenty. I don't care. If you live on SI or in the outer reaches of BK, BX, or Queens? I don't care.

Come down to Brooklyn. See how utterly congested some neighborhoods are. There's just way too many cars on the road. I grew up in BK. There was never a time when the roads were this congested.

If the state wanted, with the tech on hand, a more nuanced system could be implemented but we all know that's not going to happen. I'm a pretty patient person but cars are out of control in NYC.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:35 PM

15,856 posts, read 14,483,585 times
There are two million drivers in NYC, not to mention how many NY State residents from outside the city who drive in. We won't put up with this $hit.

Notice how tolls on the East River bridges never seem to happen.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:17 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times
tolls to drive a legally registered car on all public roads in manhattan? sounds illegal to me

Old 01-15-2018, 10:18 PM

769 posts, read 1,015,198 times
Most of the congestion right now is the derivative of Vision Zero infrastructure changes. Reduced speed limits, car lanes turned into bike lanes and feeder lanes eliminated.

Then is also the issue of the homeless living on the subways and people being pushed in front of trains. Where in years past I rode the subway frequently, I now only use it out of necessity because of the health hazards and crime.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:57 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,358,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
100% with Cuomo on this. Every ****ing idiot in NYC who can "afford" it is getting a car. To be honest, I think single car households shouldn't be taxed at all. Tax all the *******s with 2+ cars. Create a tax credit for households with no car. Give a tax break to businesses who are willing to pay for their employees public transportation costs or drive employees from their homes to work and back.

Call me a commie, I don't care. I know we have high taxes as it is. My wife and I pay plenty. I don't care. If you live on SI or in the outer reaches of BK, BX, or Queens? I don't care.

Come down to Brooklyn. See how utterly congested some neighborhoods are. There's just way too many cars on the road. I grew up in BK. There was never a time when the roads were this congested.

If the state wanted, with the tech on hand, a more nuanced system could be implemented but we all know that's not going to happen. I'm a pretty patient person but cars are out of control in NYC.

SO many of the cars are either car service, taxi, etc. Sometimes that's all there is on the damn road and they're all jerks.

I have one car that we've had for years now and both my previous job and one of my current jobs are really only feasible to get to by driving. I hate it but what can you do.

BTW-Maybe if public transit could get their act together, less people would drive. A fifty-five minute trip just took me an hour and forty-five minutes. It was CHAOS, even coming home "off hours." Mobs of people with no where to go because the MTA effed up everything again. What a joke.

Old 01-15-2018, 11:07 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
https://nypost.com/2018/01/15/cuomo-...-block-in-nyc/

This could mean higher priced taxis including Uber, deliveries, and food prices for NYers. The money has to come from somewhere to fix the subway system.

It is an election year and AC is running again; thus we can safely ignore 99.5% of what come out of his mouth.

Truth to tell do so anyway because the guy likes the sound of his own voice too much.

Old 01-15-2018, 11:22 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
Makes much more sense than putting the tolls on the bridges. Put the tolls where the congestion actually is. I agree, I just question whether we really have the technology to execute.

Old 01-16-2018, 03:43 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,227,282 times
Unless they fix the politics, they’ll just pi*ss away the money like liberal NYC always know how to do and 20 years from now in hindsight we’ll (for those of us still around) be wondering where all that toll money went and what good it did.

The MTA will still be bloated and inept (like that’s ever going to change). The subway will still be crumbling (ditto) and in need of billions just for patchwork repair. Oh but many union bosses, bureaucrats and pols will be the real winners here living out their early retirement in sunny Boca Raton and Palm Beach.

Leftwing politics and the belief that they can tax and toll their way out of problems. When has that ever worked out? Talk about running what was once the greatest city (and state) in the country (and arguably the world) not too long ago, right into the ground.

Last edited by antinimby; 01-16-2018 at 04:07 AM..

Old 01-16-2018, 08:03 AM

5,827 posts, read 2,948,440 times
Great. We fled soviet union so Agencies wouldnt tell us how many cars we cold own or where we could drive.

I have 4 cars. Looking to get 4 more soon. Newer older cars. All v8.
Suck my fumes!!

Hope you enjoy your right being taken away, for the common good of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: