Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 01:18 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Right, but the black population has been shrinking in Hamilton Heights.
And so has the Dominican and Puerto Rican.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxiemax View Post
I'm not sure who all the people posting here are, but they're clearly not residents of the area. I moved to HH 8 years ago and I've found the area to be a good mix of different ethnicities, different age groups and different occupations ranging from artists to white collar. There's also a great student population because we sit at the nexus of Columbia University, City College and Columbia Medical School. Incidentally, City College is about to open it's own medical school and Columbia is moving its business school north to HH, which should add to this tradition.

Having said that, it's still an up and coming area, with some of the most beautiful areas in the city (Convent Ave, Riverside) and some that are a bit more tatty areas (Amsterdam), but it is definitely distinct from central harlem and washington heights. The former is primarily AA, the latter, Dominican. HH is a good mix of AA, hispanic, white, asian, mixed. I also really like that it's a welcoming place for LGBT people.

We (my husband and I) moved here because we've been in NYC for 20 years and we've always been drawn to the more dynamic neighborhoods like Chelsea, Hell's Kitchen, Manhattan Valley and the East Village (back before they were "gentrified"). In fact, there was a lot about HH that reminded us of the East Village when we first looked, which cemented our decision to move.

There are some great restaurants and bars, with new ones opening up all the time. The rents are low enough that they allow for some creative chefs to try new things. Plus, the really vibrant areas of central harlem are only a short cab or bus ride away. We could do with a few more dry cleaners, but otherwise, we have pretty good services.

As for you commute, my husband works in FiDi. His commute is 30-40 minutes on the A train (145th and St. Nicholas) which would be a 5-7 minute walk from your apartment at 148th and Broadway.

And I do think that $1500 for your own room and bathroom, including utilities, is a good price, assuming the place is reasonably or recently renovated.

Good luck!
City College has already opened it's medical school.

Old 01-30-2018, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthere22 View Post
Columbia is not moving to HH, the northernmost building will be at 134th street and Broadway, which is still Manhattanville.
134th and Broadway. I think they bought up to 135th.

But whether it goes up to 134 or 135th, the Columbia expansion has a HUGE effect on real estate in Hamilton Heights. I lived there as a graduate student up until shortly after I graduated, and I knew a number of other Columbia grad students in the area.

Old 01-30-2018, 01:29 PM

94 posts, read 172,782 times
Is it because 135th to 140th is City College's area?

Old 11-16-2018, 12:02 AM

2 posts, read 2,341 times
Default Hamilton Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthere22 View Post
Columbia is not moving to HH, the northernmost building will be at 134th street and Broadway, which is still Manhattanville.
Um... not sure what map you’re looking at but 134th and Broadway is most certainly Hamilton Heights. I’ve seen some promotional materials that call the new life science buildings the “manhattanville” campus but those are well south of the planned business school.

On the west side of Manhattan, effectively west of either CPW and the string of ridge parks that bound central Harlem to the east, you have:
Manhattanville way down in the high 90s and low 100s along... wait for it... Manhattan Avenue. Also known as Manhattan Valley.

Next comes Morningside Heights where Columbia is, from around Cathedral Parkway to 125th (note: Manhattan Avenue does continue north until 123rd, but only in central Harlem on the east side of Morningside Park. No one calls that section Manhattanville though)

Next comes Hamilton Heights from 125th up to around 145th.

Next comes Sugar Hill from 146th to around 160th
Then you start getting into Washington Heights, Inwood, Hudson Heights, etc... I don’t know that area as well.

Old 11-16-2018, 09:56 AM

453 posts, read 318,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxiemax View Post
Um... not sure what map you’re looking at but 134th and Broadway is most certainly Hamilton Heights. I’ve seen some promotional materials that call the new life science buildings the “manhattanville” campus but those are well south of the planned business school.

On the west side of Manhattan, effectively west of either CPW and the string of ridge parks that bound central Harlem to the east, you have:
Manhattanville way down in the high 90s and low 100s along... wait for it... Manhattan Avenue. Also known as Manhattan Valley.

Next comes Morningside Heights where Columbia is, from around Cathedral Parkway to 125th (note: Manhattan Avenue does continue north until 123rd, but only in central Harlem on the east side of Morningside Park. No one calls that section Manhattanville though)

Next comes Hamilton Heights from 125th up to around 145th.

Next comes Sugar Hill from 146th to around 160th
Then you start getting into Washington Heights, Inwood, Hudson Heights, etc... I don’t know that area as well.

you got it all wrong

Morningside heights goes from 110th to 125th
Manhattanville goes from 125th to 135th
Hamilton heights begins at 135th ends at 155th.
Everything north on 155th is Washington heights. (Trinity Cemetery works as geographical cutting point.)

Sugar hill is a historic district that is effectively inside Hamilton heights.
Sugar Hills do not extend pass Amsterdam to the west, the district is very small only 10 blocks north to south and basically the 2 blocks east and west of Convent.

Last edited by upthere22; 11-16-2018 at 10:09 AM..

Old 11-16-2018, 10:26 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,618,483 times
I'm still not sure what Manhattanville is outside of the projects. I just consider 125th to 155th Hamilton Heights, or West Harlem to those whom don't like that term for whatever reason.

Old 11-16-2018, 11:28 AM

453 posts, read 318,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
I'm still not sure what Manhattanville is outside of the projects. I just consider 125th to 155th Hamilton Heights, or West Harlem to those whom don't like that term for whatever reason.
Not much, Manhattanville is basically the projects, the south side of CCNY and the new Columbia campus. there are some buildings scattered around much no much.
the issue is back in the day Manhatanville was very different from Hamilton Heights. Mahattanville was never pretty, it was a bunch of warehouses and auto-body shops. 2 MTA bus deposits and nothing else.

Old 03-24-2019, 09:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
Yea. They’re gettin along. The issue is up in Washington Heights. They’re at odds with the white people. Sh** is gettin realer, and realer up there
So your saying Dominicans don’t like white people?

Old 03-26-2019, 01:46 PM

1,199 posts, read 725,936 times
West Harlem near the hospital is quite expensive because it contains condos and rich people. The area by west 116th st and 7th avenue is more affordable for shopping. It doesn't matter what your color or nationality is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City