Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 10:01 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,929,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ughhnyc View Post
Chipotle and Whole Foods also require a purchase to use the restroom.

The manager at the Philladelhia Starbucks did not actually get fired, but he was moved to another store. NYWRITERDUDE with more paid disinformation and fake news.

Retailers have every right to do this to protect their facilities for paying customers in larger US cities where you have heroine junkees and the homeless locking themselves in the facilities and paying customers cannot use them.

The two guys in the Philladelhia Starbucks obviously aren't homeless or junkees, but we do not know how many times that particular location has actually had to deal with that problem, so perhaps the employees are extra vigilant about the issue.

Starbucks corporate leaders are your typical alt leftist virtue signaling neo liberals. They live in all white gated communities, but they pretend to espouse the virtues of the poor and lower class. Just like all of the NY News media owns homes in the Hamptons, and they bring in token minorities to their weekend parties to put up the illusion of being a tolerant and progressive liberal. It's the biggest scam going in NY.
The staff at the Philly Starbucks should’ve used their better judgement and left those men alone. Period. There are plenty of homeless in Harlem and they do this here. They like to use the bathroom at the McDonald’s on 145th and Broadway to get high
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2018, 10:08 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,336,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
And that is why I'm saying they had to have been starting trouble, or appear destitute.
Or this is America and racism is and has been an issue here from inception...which is why many people, including white ones, understand this incident happened because the men are black. There is no “they were” other than “they were black”. That is the real issue and you proved it by assuming they had to have been doing something to be arrested. Or worse yet people apply different rules for blacks to fit a narrative of them being trouble makers and deserving to be arrested or worse (i.e. he looked at me funny so I felt threatened and called the cops - and yes historically there are cases of black men getting lynched for looking at a white woman the wrong way).

If one can not grasp that reason, then they are living in a massive and imaginary post racial bubble.

Old 04-18-2018, 10:17 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,172,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
or this is america and racism is and has been an issue here from inception...which is why many people, including white ones, understand this incident happened because the men are black. There is no “they were” other than “they were black”. That is the real issue and you proved it by assuming they had to have been doing something to be arrested. Or worse yet people apply different rules for blacks to fit a narrative of them being trouble makers and deserving to be arrested or worse (i.e. He looked at me funny so i felt threatened and called the cops - and yes historically there are cases of black men getting lynched for looking at a white woman the wrong way).

If one can not grasp that reason, then they are living in a massive and imaginary post racial bubble.
+1

Old 04-18-2018, 10:23 PM

25,556 posts, read 24,032,171 times
Quote:
Or this is America and racism is and has been an issue here from inception...which is why many people, including white ones, understand this incident happened because the men are black. There is no “they were” other than “they were black”. That is the real issue and you proved it by assuming they had to have been doing something to be arrested. Or worse yet people apply different rules for blacks to fit a narrative of them being trouble makers and deserving to be arrested or worse (i.e. he looked at me funny so I felt threatened and called the cops - and yes historically there are cases of black men getting lynched for looking at a white woman the wrong way).

https://www.psychologicalscience.org...stupidity.html

"I think that a lot of us are shying away from an obvious truth, that the kind of blatant racial prejudice we are witnessing in Ferguson, Missouri, has everything to do with stupidity.

I’m talking about low intelligence, lack of mental ability, cognitive rigidity. The Ferguson racists may be a lot of other things—hateful, insecure—but let’s not sugar-coat what most fair-minded thinkers believe in their hearts: A person of intelligence cannot embrace such authoritarian and racist views."

Old 04-19-2018, 07:34 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,338,236 times
Quote:

Other than what I already stated, I can't understand any other reason why the employee would have called the cops. So we have come to an agreement from different angles. It is difficult to get into the mindset of one single person as to why they react in any such manner.

Is this particular Starbucks location in such a white neighborhood that black people seem so foreign to them? Because when I go to Starbucks I see as many black people, if not more, than I do white people. So statistical activity could play a part. For example, if a black person was arrested at my local Starbucks, it might not be such a shock because black people frequent that Starbucks all the time.

Old 04-19-2018, 08:02 AM

1,063 posts, read 699,505 times
On debating whether the restroom should be available to non-customers...This is besides the point of the Men sitting their idly bothering no one.

And let's not debate homelessness because that is an issue that should be addressed by the government. It is not up to private corporations to handle it.

Old 04-19-2018, 08:07 AM

1,063 posts, read 699,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
I don't know if you're deliberately being obtuse because you like to see how much you can write, or because you're trying to show how smart you are.

This is not about ambiguities of the law. The original statement was that all discrimination is illegal. If you provide one instance of discrimination that is legal, then the statement is false. That's all there is to it.
I am sincerely trying to help people understand the law and moral code as observed by the Judicial system. It is impossible to say "ALL discrimination is illegal". That is a broad statement when put to the test will not hold up.

It is impossible for me to tell you whether something will be deemed an illegal incident of discrimination. That is up to the Judge presiding over the case. Please stop trying to simplify our Judicial system - It is anything but simple and it is hardly consistent.

There is also the problem of something being clearly illegal on the books but pardoned by the Judge due to "extenuating circumstances". So even if the law is broken, punishment may not be doled out for various subjective reasons on part of the Judge or DA presiding over the individual case.

Old 04-19-2018, 08:37 AM

3,049 posts, read 5,012,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaMan View Post
I am sincerely trying to help people understand the law and moral code as observed by the Judicial system. It is impossible to say "ALL discrimination is illegal". That is a broad statement when put to the test will not hold up.

It is impossible for me to tell you whether something will be deemed an illegal incident of discrimination. That is up to the Judge presiding over the case. Please stop trying to simplify our Judicial system - It is anything but simple and it is hardly consistent.

There is also the problem of something being clearly illegal on the books but pardoned by the Judge due to "extenuating circumstances". So even if the law is broken, punishment may not be doled out for various subjective reasons on part of the Judge or DA presiding over the individual case.
That's fine. The original premise was that these men were discriminated against and that is illegal because all discrimination is illegal. That's why I keep going back to ALL discrimination. Because if all discrimination is illegal, than that is correct. If not, then it's not certain that this was illegal.

In this specific incident, given the story so far, I think if they pursued it, the two men would win money.

Old 04-19-2018, 08:38 AM

782 posts, read 528,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Other than what I already stated, I can't understand any other reason why the employee would have called the cops. So we have come to an agreement from different angles. It is difficult to get into the mindset of one single person as to why they react in any such manner.

Is this particular Starbucks location in such a white neighborhood that black people seem so foreign to them? Because when I go to Starbucks I see as many black people, if not more, than I do white people. So statistical activity could play a part. For example, if a black person was arrested at my local Starbucks, it might not be such a shock because black people frequent that Starbucks all the time.
I posted the link in the other Starbucks thread with details from the police incident report. It said the men cursed at the store manager. If true, then maybe the store manager felt they were rude and just wanted them out of there.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:17 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,338,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC305 View Post
I posted the link in the other Starbucks thread with details from the police incident report. It said the men cursed at the store manager. If true, then maybe the store manager felt they were rude and just wanted them out of there.
If true that they cursed at the store manager in any way whatsoever because the store manager was simply following store policy, then race is not the issue. These guys are just bullies that happen to be black.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City